1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anti-Prius Motorists

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by monsoon_xvi, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jul 9 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]475541[/snapback]</div>
    I drive my Prius just like any other car and haven't yet tried hypermiling, nor do I have any bumper stickers or personalized license plate, but I still have had three instances of completely unprovoked Prius rage. All three cases happened in the first 2.5 months of driving the new car, but I haven't had an instance in the last 2.5 months (perhaps due to fewer miles driven). I think it is pretty random occurence that can happen to anyone, and I feel that your assumption of fault with the Prius driver is unwarranted. The "it hasn't happened to me so you're doing something wrong" argument is a pretty dumb stance.

2. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarkMN @ Jul 10 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]476196[/snapback]</div>
    Please describe what you mean by "Prius rage", because I have no idea what you are talking about. I find it highly unlikely that someone would fly into a fit of road rage based on the fact that you are driving a Prius.

Let's stop and think about this rationally for a moment. Why would someone become angered simply by the car that you are driving? Are you going to tell me that it is because of statement that your car makes. Well, using that same logic, then wouldn't the drivers of Hummers be subjected to the same rage, albeit from an entirely different group? Aren't they making a statement as well?

I just don't think that driving a Prius is alone sufficient provocation to cause another driver to become enraged. Maybe I am just lucky in that I have yet to experience this phenomena, but where I live is a great deal more conservative than Minneapolis, so I would expect that my chances of experiencing it here would be greater here than they are for you there.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jul 10 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]476207[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, there have been incidents where SUVs have been targeted for vandalism. There have been incidents where bumper stickers were stuck to SUVs because certain groups do not like the vehicles. Also there have been more extreme cases where SUVs have been set on fire on dealership lots by groups trying to make a statement.

Not saying that its right or wrong, but it has happened.

I haven't been accosted by any "Anti Prius Motorists" yet, but there are some very narrow minded people out there in the world, so I do think its possible to be targeted by the type of vehicle that you drive.

4. Nettbeast

Nettbeast New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mondie @ Feb 27 2007, 07:08 PM) [snapback]397496[/snapback]</div>
    You know, it's funny - I live in Northern Virginia and the *ONLY* time i've received any negative attitude from other drivers is when travelling in the Virginia HOV lanes.

On 95N cars bearing the old "Clean Fuel" tags are allowed in the HOV during rush-hour, instead of having to have three people in the car to qualify. people who car-pool get IRATE when they see me driving along by myself.

The rule made sense, which is, i guess, why the Virginia Legislature change it. Priuses bought after July 2006 are not allowed in the I95/I395 corridor HOV lanes, and it's expected that even my exemption will end soon.

Why? it's simple. The governments are worried about what they're going to do because with the amazing popularity of hybrid cars, they are already worried about a decrease in sales tax revenue from gasoline.

How short-sighted can they be?

5. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jul 10 2007, 01:25 PM) [snapback]476207[/snapback]</div>
    Its that Prius Victim Mentality that new owners seem to go through. I believe its the result of two things:

First, because they can see the MPG effects of every press of the gas pedal, along with their need to squeeze every MPG they can out of a tank so they can feel good about spending so much money on a car, they drastically change their driving habits. They start driving the speed limit. They replace their jack-rabbit starts with more moderate acceleration. They stop tailgating and instead leave several car lengths between them and the car in front to reduce the constant braking and accelerating. So now, everyone that they used to out run or at least keep up with are now trying to pass them instead. Therefore they get tailgated and cut off.

The second thing is that new Prius owners are so proud of their new purchase that they feel special. So special in fact, that they feel everyone else should notice how special they are. Every interaction with other drivers is assumed to be about their Prius. Because, after all, the Prius makes them special and everyone else is either envious of or angry about their Prius. This is why we get so many posts like "Just wondering if anyone has experienced deliberate vandalism on their Prius. I've only had mine for a little over a month. Someone gouged a 4-inch scratch in the driver door with a very sharp object and it went all the way below the paint. I never experienced this with prior cars I've owned." To such a person it just had to have happened because the drive a Prius. The Prius is so special that it couldn't be any other reason. Right... Like keying cars in mall parking lots never occurred before the Prius.

6. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is meant for Marlin.

I belong to several motorcycle forums and have seen quite a few "I hate prius drivers" threads in them so saying there is no prius hatred is incorrect.

7. Nettbeast

Nettbeast New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jul 10 2007, 02:38 PM) [snapback]476262[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe I'm not normal then. i don't drive my prius any differently than I would any other car. I still get better gas mileage, but I'll bet you dollars-to-doughnuts that you'd get the same percentage improvement by utilizing some of the same methods, IE, not following too close, not feeling like you have to fly off the line at a green light like you're doing a quarter mile.

I've seen the Prius rage, in fact, most commonly I read about it in the DC area papers. There was a well publicized event last year where someone in a motorcycle went after someone driving a Prius.

I dont understand why motorcycle riders feel like they alone should be entitled, my Prius gets better gas mileage than a lot of the larger bikes out there, so why shouldn't it be entitled to the same privileges?

8. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Jul 10 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]476270[/snapback]</div>
    I am curious as to what those threads say. Do they say they hate Prius drivers just because they are driving a Prius? Or, do they say that they hate Prius drivers because Prius drivers drive differently and cause traffic problems?

9. mwalsh

mwalsh Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, interesting thread!

I'm with the "GET LEFT!" camp. In fact, I wanna do a sign in the back window of my car "IF I'VE JUST PASSED YOU ON THE RIGHT, YOU SHOULD BE IN ----> THAT LANE!".

But I try to give special dispensation to Hybrid, alternative fuel, and multi-passenger vehicles, which I know are probably heading towards the carpool lane. As long as you pull your finger out once I've made way for you, that is. If you're going to pull in front of me, be prepared to match/best my speed or wait for me to pass you and then pull over!

Oh, and if I do have to pass you on the right, and then you deliberately speed up to try and stop me from getting ahead of you, then you've made an enemy for life pal!

10. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nettbeast @ Jul 10 2007, 03:15 PM) [snapback]476282[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I do all of those things. My wife and I own two Priuses. I've had mine for over two years. I used to drive an SUV. I used to drive 15 MPH over the speed limit. I used to get impatient and tailgate or pass anyone who dared go at or below the speed limit. I used to do jack rabbit starts to try to beat the next light. It never seemed to work, but I kept trying anyways.

I now drive at or slightly above the speed limit. Almost never more than 5 MPH over (except on highways, where I keep it under 10 over the limit). I usually leave a 2-3 car length gap between me and the car in front of me. Instead of accelerating to 55 MPH between traffic lights and then waiting at the next one for 30 seconds, I accelerate more moderately up to 40 or so and only have to wait at the next light for 10 seconds. Basically, I no longer drive like a maniac.

And because I no longer drive like a maniac, I, like the rest of the sane drivers out there, get tailgated and cut off. Is it because the other drivers are filled with anti-Prius rage? No, it wouldn't matter what car I'm in. It's because I'm driving 38 MPH in a 35 MPH zone and they want to do 50 MPH. Why do I know this? Because I used to be the one who wanted to go 50 MPH.

11. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jul 10 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]476207[/snapback]</div>

Well, there is nine pages about Prius rage on this thread, and I am pretty sure similar threads have been started, for instance, here is my account of Prius rage.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=33433&hl=NRA

So, perhaps after reading through the posts, you will have some idea that there does seem to be some Prius rage. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I would argue that some Hummer owners most likely also have some cases of Hummer rage. Cars can bring out strong emotions in people, there are a lot of blogs and chatsites with a good deal of Prius bashing, and Prius drivers are often described with terms not suitable for children to hear. So, combine someone with Prius hate with a bad day in traffic, and it isn't a stretch whatsoever for that person to bring some rage against a Prius in traffic for no reason. It might be irrational, but people are usually irrational beings.

Concerning Minneapolis. Yes, Minneapolis/St. Paul proper is a very liberal city. I moved from Oklahoma to live in a more liberal area. However, I have found the suburban areas of the Twin Cities and some parts of the outstate region to be extremely republican, and we have a very conservative governor here who refuses to even account for inflation in government forecasts, so that every increase in spending - even if it is equivacable to inflation - can be labeled as a part of the liberal tax and spend agenda.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jul 10 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]476289[/snapback]</div>
    The ones I have seen have hated Prius drivers because they are environmentalist, tree hugging, liberal (insert word referring to male preferred term for the female sexual organ).

12. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarkMN @ Jul 10 2007, 03:54 PM) [snapback]476315[/snapback]</div>
    You know, I can see how that stereotype was applied to the first-wave of Prius owners, because they bought the Prius because of their desire to reduce their environmental impact. But now consumers are buying a hybrid just because it’s a better financial option. I put myself into that category. When I bought my Prius, the only statement I cared about was my gas card statement.

The other thing that strikes me as odd about all of this is the perception that all Prius drivers are tree-hugging enviro-weenies. A survey done by the Topline Strategy Group found that 71 percent of Prius drivers earned more than $100,000 per year, 73 percent were 40 years or older, and 58 percent were men. Not exactly the demographic profile of a bunch of hippies.

Anyway, as more and more people start driving hybrids, the less of a problem all of this will be.

13. Nettbeast

Nettbeast New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jul 10 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]476418[/snapback]</div>
    I think myself I split the difference. I like doing what I can, reducing the carbon footprint, et all, but even I have to admit that the main reasons I bought my Prius follows:

1. Gas was pushing $4.00 a gallon
    2. I had just taken a job requiring a 114 mile round-trip commute
    3. Virginia was (at the time) allowing Hybrids in the HOV-3 carpool lane with a single rider (I'm lucky, I got grandfathered in when they backed the rules down)
    4. The tax rebate was (also at the time) not to be beat.
    5. Pure "Geek-Factor" :D

Since then, the price of gas has subsided a bit (though the fact that we're conditioned to think of $2.90 a gallon as "low" scares the life out of me), my commute has gone from 5 days a week to three, Virginia is trying desparately to remove the grandfather clause in the law, and the tax rebate was modified before filing to say that it couldn't reduce your burden below zero, (IE if you were getting a refund, you didn't get the rebate)

I'm curious as to why people think the laws are moving away from being environmentally friendly, is it because the industry (being oil/gas) has more to gain from E85 ? Or that gas taxes, which account for significant revenue for most states, are threatened by cars that use 1/3 as much gas?

14. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jul 10 2007, 12:30 PM) [snapback]476289[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/s...highlight=prius

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/s...highlight=prius

There are just a couple.

15. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Jul 11 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]477044[/snapback]</div> Thanks. Both of those pretty much prove what I have been saying all along, which is that people become outraged at the Prius driver's actions and not merely at the vehicle itself. One was about a Prius driver that almost hit a motorcyclist and the other was about Prius drivers in the HOV lanes. There also were quite a few mentions of Prius drivers not staying with the flow of traffic, but instead driving to maximize MPG.

16. micksimon

micksimon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jul 10 2007, 01:25 PM) [snapback]476207[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.fuh2.com/

These guys must think so.... 432 pages of pictures of people flipping off Hummers.

17. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jul 10 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]476207[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe for a hummer?

http://fuh2.com/

18. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nettbeast @ Jul 10 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]476437[/snapback]</div>
    I'd say it's 'cause our President and his colleagues are associated with the oil industry...but I'm no expert. Also, to some degree, the early incentives worked and there are lots more hybrids on the road than before. Not to mention, there's heavy lobbying from oil and agribusiness.

19. Molechaser

Molechaser New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nettbeast @ Jul 10 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]476437[/snapback]</div>
    The oil/gas industry doesn't really have anything to gain from E85 vis-a-vis a hybrid. My hybrid gets somewhere between 2 and 2.5 times better gas mileage than my previous vehicle, which means (assuming I'm typical) that someone switching to a hybrid car buys somewhere between 40 and 50% of the gasoline they bought before. Someone switching to an E85 vehicle buys only 15% of the gasoline they used to buy (because 85% of the fuel is ethanol). So I would think that the oil industry would, if anything, prefer people to switch to hybrids rather than to E85 vehicles. If you're set on an industry/conspiracy theory to explain the change, I think the culprit is more likely to be either agribusiness (such as ADM, which manufactures a lot of ethanol) or American car companies (such as GM, which has invested heavily in E85 technology).

Personally, I don't think any of these industries are to blame for the laws changing in such a way as to seemingly discourage hybrid purchases. As someone else said, the HOV-lane laws are a victim of their own success. Federal standards require that HOV lanes that are open to (hybrid or alternative fuel) vehicles with a single rider to meet certain standards for reducing congestion. With the explosion in the number of hybrid vehicles, the lanes are just too congested to meet these standards, and states see the solution as eliminating hybrid and alternative fuel vehicles from the HOV lanes, which makes the standards inapplicable.

20. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For the most part, everyone's too concerned about their own car to be concerned about what you're driving.

"I'm special. Look at me, driving in my cool new Prius/Hummer/Lexus/Porche"

Of course, we Prius drivers tend to drive more conservatively than most, which would tend to elicit more impatient behavior from others. But it's caused by the driver, not the car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.