1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anti skid, ABS, “Brake” ((!)) (brake warning) lights are on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by veggiecar, Oct 21, 2022.

1. RazorDon

RazorDon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe I have the same issue. I have a 2012 prius with over 200k miles. All the brake lights came on and the whirring electronic noise was happening all the time before the lights came on. I've read that the brake booster/master and abs pumpneed to be replaced. Does that sound right?

2. Lynn Goldhammer

Lynn Goldhammer New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm dealing with this now... I had a motor sound cycling on every 15 seconds, then it went to 8 and now it's every 4 seconds. I was told it was the break actuator assembly. Parts $2k and labor $1k. Mines a 2007 with 235k miles. My mechanic suggested I look for my next car. Was debating it, then figured I'd be better off paying the $3k. Then my nephew was in my car and heard a sound coming from the engine and said it will probably be going soon. then today driving my break light, ABS, VSC and "!" came on. I called my mechanics and they said it was still ok to drive. Sounds like when this goes it's like back in the days when we didn't have power brakes. One mechanic mentioned it takes a toll on the hybrid battery when driving in that mode so may not want to do it for the long haul....

I'm going to take it to my mechanics tomorrow to see if they think it's still safe to drive... Meanwhile, I'm looking to get a new Prius, but it won't be available til the end of the month, and I was planning on a 1200 mile trip between now and then, so want to be sure this will work out ok... If not, I may have to rent a car for the trip.... Meanwhile, you may want to look into the "Brake Actuator Assembly"...

3. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My problem (brake lights) was initially noticed as of my October 21 post. As I mentioned, I changed the front brake disks and pads and made repeated acceleration and braking cycles as was suggested with the disks and pads and the lights went out. The lights went out for five weeks but they are back on. The pump now comes on much more often. My belief is that if I have accumulator pressure the brakes will work. If the internal leak becomes so great that the pump stays on all of the time or if the pump fails, I will have no brakes. I have decided not to use the car until I have fixed the problem.

I managed to get access to techstream and I have decided to try and replace the parts myself. The question that I have is how do I make sure that I purchase the correct part. ToyotaPartsDeal.com uses my VIN number to confirm that I have the correct part. Are there any other precautions that I should take to make sure that I get the right part. Thanks so much…

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's never a great idea to make predictions without knowing what exact brake system trouble codes you have. It is easy to get those codes, even if you don't have a scan tool; toward the top of this very thread you can read about how to do that by counting some light blinks.

When it goes, it's like (a) back in the days when we didn't have power brakes and (b) your rear brakes are completely out, leaving only the two in front.

Mechanics saying this takes a toll on the traction battery might be thinking (as a lot of people seem to think) that the regenerative braking is the only way the car has of charging the battery. But it isn't.

5. tak1313

tak1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It really does no good to prognosticate without pulling codes. Something as simple/rudimentary as a bad wheel speed sensor will disable the ABS/VSC because the ECU can't tell how fast the wheels are turning. Even in that situation, it could be the sensor in the wheel or the harness.

6. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need help with a situation. I decided to replace the brake booster assembly. I purchased from Toyotapartsdeal.com. I took the old part out and put the new back in. It went very easy up until I reconnected the brake lines. The videos I watched said to screw the threads of the brake lines in with your fingers before using a wrench. I was able to do this with the four lines that are vertical on the front of the brake booster assembly but the brake line that comes across the firewall from the passengers side can not be screwed in using fingers only. I have not tried to force it using a wrench. The treads on the brake line connector are good. I finger screwed it into the old part to make sure. Can anyone suggest something that I can do to get the brake line connected without ruining the assembly. I tried to measure the valley of the brake line threads against the peaks inside the hole of the brake booster assembly and they seem to be .5 mm smaller.

#26 veggiecar, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just for sanity, you might head to a local auto parts place and buy a flare nut of the right size and thread to fit into the ports of the old actuator (which you can take in with you, to confirm you're getting the right nut).

Then see if you can start that nut with fingers alone in the new actuator's port. Sometimes it's easier—by, surprisingly, a lot—to start a nut that is not flared onto a tube, as the tube is not complicating your angle and approach.

For now, I'll bet you find out the bare nut goes in just fine, and then you'll know you just have to work harder at finessing the nut on the tube into the same port.

Then again, if the new bare nut can't be started in the port, you'll know there's a bigger headache involved.

8. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not familiar with a flare nut. Is that the nut on the end of the brake line?

9. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The flare nut (not sure if it is a nut as the threads are on the outside) on the end of the brake line is a 10mm by 1mm. I bought a nut and bolt of that size and put the nut on the end of the brake line coupling and put the bolt into the brake booster assembly. Both went in/on very easily. The coupling on the end of the brake line never went into the assembly easily. I got it started and used a wrench with little pressure. With the wrench the coupling easily went into the threaded hole without getting more difficult as would be the case with cross threading.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's kind of what I'd expected. Just the slight added pressure of the steel line going through the nut can make it surprisingly finicky to get a good straight start in the threads. I am most comfortable when I do get it to start easily with my fingers, but sometimes it takes me a crazy number of tries, no matter how sure I am that I'm holding that line in there absolutely straight.

11. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A have change the brake booster assembly and have reconnected the wiring to the assembly along with the hoses. I have refilled the brake fluid reservoir. I have the car on jacks, level parking brake on. While I was replacing the brake booster assembly, I disconnected the 12 volt battery and pulled the orange disconnect on the traction battery. Both have been reconnected. I am set up with the tractric OBDII reader. The system connects to the car. The car has a warning Hybrid system warning message on the dash and the car is beeping. When I go to run the air bleed procedure it tells me that I have lost communication with the ECU and prompts me to reset. This message continually comes up. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What does work with the scan tool? Can you view the ABS / VSC / TRAC data list? What voltages are you seeing?

13. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I can view the ABS/VSC/Trac Data List. Regarding voltage: Voltage of Stroke Sensor -0.35 Voltage of Stroke Sensor 2 -0.33 Regulator Pressure Sensor Correction Voltage 0.00

14. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On startup there is a request for Java Runtime Environment version 6, update 7 (1.6.0_7) or later. As I recall this was not necessary. Please correct if I am wrong.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you scroll through the data list, are any other voltages shown? I'd be interested in any labeled IG, BS1, BS2, or the like.

16. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I am on the wrong page. The following is all I have via ABS/VSC/TRAC Data List

Attached Files:

17. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am wondering if my 12 volt battery is not sufficient. When I started it was 12.39 volts and around 12 volts when I finished. Should it be higher and should I have a charger hooked up while air bleeding the system?

18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should have had a charger on it. That is way to low...

19. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I connected a charger to the battery. When attempting the air bleed … it tells me to confirm several things have been done and then click next. I then get a warning message “Lost communications what the vehicle. Press OK tro reinitialize the ECU and return to the top of the current function”. It then asked me a choice of two things for doing an air bleed. Asked to confirm several things have been done and then click next. It then gives me the warning again. Any suggestions…. Thanks

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you saw it around 12 volts, was that after you finished, or during the bleed procedure?

I did come pretty close to running out of juice during a bleed procedure once. The procedure ends with several cycles of releasing all the accumulator pressure and then pumping it back up, and by the last one of those the pump was sounding like a dying windup toy. That's kind of how it sounds around 10 volts or so. But the reading could show higher when the pump isn't running and pulling it down.

If you have power available and can hang a charger on for the duration, it's a good idea.

Mendel Leisk likes this.