1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anti skid, ABS, “Brake” ((!)) (brake warning) lights are on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by veggiecar, Oct 21, 2022.

1. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The warning is at the very beginning of the procedure. I never get to even bleed the first line. I have connected a charger. The charger reported a voltage of 13.3 and I still got the warning. I’ll try tomorrow when the battery is fully charged. Is the ECU on the brake booster assembly. Maybe there is a problem with the part. As much as this sounds like insanity, I can always put the old part back in to see if the computer will properly communicate with it.

Where in the techstream is the information of the hybrid battery. Will it tell me the cell voltages? While the hybrid system warning came on while I am having problems with the brakes, I am sure it is a separate problem that needs to be checked out.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just catching up on this post and have some basic questions:

1. Did you buy a new Master Cylinder Assembly AND the Brake Pump? Earlier in this thread you were talking about buying one of the two parts.

2. The part(s) you installed were not used or reconditioned?

3. The Techstream being used is the hacked version with some low cost interface module?

4. You did the final step of the hv orange insertion? Often people miss the final slide step.

Assuming you bought both brake booster parts new and have all the connectors well engaged, it may be worth it to let the dealer calibrate and bleed it.

These parts are similar for a Prius v:

7B805E85-9B23-44BB-9182-6E9B0D9CE7F9.jpeg
    C6153989-A624-4849-9E38-3D4953DA7596.jpeg

4F4E31B6-A32E-45CB-BD20-700D18A5AA7D.jpeg

3. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. I only changed one part. The part (brake booster assembly) is new from ToyotaPartsDeal.com
    2. The OBDII Tactrix
    3. I did install the orange disconnect and folded the lever down.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the ECU is part of the master cylinder/booster/actuator assembly that you changed.

I have completed the bleeding of my Gen 3 using a Tactrix Openport 2 and Techstream, without problems. When I was using a Mini VCI, it would get most of the way through the process, and kick me out during the repeated pump-ups at the very end, and make me start over from the beginning.

Did you buy your Tactrix dongle from Tactrix? The real ones cost $169.

If your hybrid system warning triangle has come on, don't jump immediately to thinking about battery module voltages or battery stuff. Just get the trouble codes to see why the triangle came on. If they are trouble codes having anything to do with battery stuff, then think about battery stuff.

5. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought if from Tactrix. Which Techstream tab do I open to view the hybrid battery codes?

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Obviously the pump could be bad. They were the original part replaced by Toyota when the brake booster codes started many years ago. Toyota later recommended changing the master cylinder and the separate pump at the same time. When my system ran excessively both were replaced. The pump can leak.

The wrong master cylinder will look the same and have the same housing marks. But the ecu inside will be different. Each year and body type has at least two versions. People buying used master cylinders often fall into this trap because the sellers don't know the difference. Hopefully yours came from a Toyota dealer who verified the part with your vin.

The orange hv plug has to fold and then slide. Some miss the second part and you get a hybrid warning. Nothing works at that point.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can just start with the Health Check button on the opening screen. You'll end up with a screen showing all codes from all systems. You can click on Hybrid Control to drill down.

You're not necessarily looking for "hybrid battery codes". You'll be shown whatever codes from the hybrid control system caused the warning light to come on. There are a couple hundred possibilities. If they turn out to be codes about the battery, then you'll know that. If they're about something else, then you'll know that.

#47 ChapmanF, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  8. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As it turns out, I am part of the “Some miss the second part” as I did not slide the orange handle. While I did not do the air bleed yet, It does get to the first step. I need to get my helper to do the brake pressing part. I am very hopeful.

As I mentioned earlier, I bought the part from ToyotaPartsDeal.com. I am not saying it is the exact part needed. The website asked for the VIN number of the car and after entering I was told it was the correct part.

I am aware that the pump assembly may be needed. There are a couple nuts that look impossible to get to so I felt that part would be very difficult to change. If I need to take the first part out, I feel I will be an expert on that part of the job. I am rolling the dice a bit here.

ASRDogman likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There was a recall on that pump assembly for 2010s, T-CP-D0H-A510-D. Even if you don't have a 2010, you can look it up for the procedures and special tools they came up with for replacement, including for dealing with those nuts.

In my notes there's also a video link:
    https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/staticcontent/en/videos/cp/D0H_full.wmv

10. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was able to complete the procedure. I had to clear the memory to do the linear valve offset procedure. All of the other problems went away although there are a few unrelated codes that I would like to discuss in another thread. Once the car has started and the accumulator pressure has been built up, the pump stops running. I sat with the brakes on for several minutes and the pump did not come on, The actuator pump does come on for a second if I pump the brakes. I used about a pint of brake fluid in the bleed process. I think and hope that I got the lines clear of bubbles. Thanks for all of the help… I hope this thread is of value to others with the same problem.

ASRDogman likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV