1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

anti-theft question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by fogg8920, Dec 31, 2006.

1. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fphinney @ Jan 21 2007, 02:01 AM) [snapback]378584[/snapback]</div>
    Anyone who is stupid enough to put a spare fob in the secret drawer is asking to have their car stolen in my opinion.

Dave

2. nicoss

nicoss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Jan 20 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]378306[/snapback]</div>
    No such kids in my neighborhood :)

Actually is not that sensitive, needs really strong tapping to trigger.

3. janetjanetbobanet

janetjanetbobanet Junior Member

So is it possible to lock and unlock the doors on a running Prius while the key fob is outside the car in your pocket? I say this because something like 60 cars have been stolen in my city over the last couple of weeks because people were defrosting their windshields while waiting in their houses, and people are being told to lock cars that they are leaving running. Of course they can still break the window, or come to your door with a gun as was mentioned before, demanding the key. The smart key system is smarter than I am, I guess. Couldn't find anything on this in the manual. I know that after they steal it, they will only get one ride. But I would rather not go through that. There were actually two guys in a suburban sitting out on the street watching me start up the Prius and scrape the windshield the other day, and they left when I started obviously watching them back. So I stayed with the car in the 20 degree cold that day.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(janetjanetbobanet @ Jan 23 2007, 03:27 AM) [snapback]379424[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah you can lock it using the mechanical key. However, if they break in, the alarm won't sound. Also, if you see them breaking in, you cannot sound the panic alarm either.

5. bairdcente

bairdcente New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Jan 20 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]378387[/snapback]</div>

It is that simple. Purchase the glass breakage sensor, plug it in and have the alarms sytem "enabled"? You don't have to purchase the VIP-RS3200 plus security system (V5)? I can't get a dealer to acknowldge that. They keep saying it can't be done and that any alarm system will void the warranty. They keep trying to sell me LoJac ot something similar.