1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anticipated price for 2012 PHV prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Michaelvickdog123, Aug 3, 2010.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Disagree all you want, it does not change reality or a little logic: since plug-in does not now, or in the near future, return the out of pocket capitalization and opportunity cost, the motivation must lie elsewhere.

Woof!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have to wonder if the op is being disingenuous when he says pc members are smug and think they are always right, whe he seems to think he is right and i'm not sure how you can prove either way how 100,000 people per year made their decision to purchase a prius. we can each speak for ourselves but beyond that? maybe some poles have been taken.:confused:

3. Michaelvickdog123

Michaelvickdog123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

"disingenuous" about what? That I believe price is a major factor in any car buying experience - for most people?

I'm in marketing, and point of fact - price is king.

Let me ask you a simple question - Do you think Toyota would have more than 100,000 sales of Prii (in the US) each year, if it was priced, say the same as the Corolla at $15.5K? Roughly a $5-6K difference.

You bet your sweet arse they would.

I mean Toyota has been selling it's Prius hybrid in this country for over 10 years now, and STILL only ~ 100K/year in sales? If you don't think price matters to many poeple, then why did Prius sales spike when gas prices started to go through the roof? Because people began to weigh the economic benefits/tradeoffs of paying more for a car, but paying less in transportation costs. Cost-benefit analysis.

Now, that's not to say there is a certain segment of the buying public that would pay almost any amount to buy a certain product. BMW has been relying on that fact for years...although Audi is now chipping away at their position. But there are many sales/marketing studies that show sales volume is directly related to price - almost no matter what the product is. In some case, the relationship to price is non-linear. In some ways, it's like selling a house...put it on the market for $400K and no buyers or even lookers. Drop the price by $50K and whamo, that day you have multiple offers.

Hey, if Toyota only cares about a low volume of sales of it's PHV Prius in 2012, then price it at whatever they want...but don't expect the market share for Toyota's products to grow now that there is a host of other players entering the market. I guarentee you if it comes in at around $29-30K, for a base PHV, they won't sell more than 20,000 units, if that. I'd bet the house on that.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ok, marketing genius: why have more Ford mustangs been sold than Hyundai ? You think the former "saved" the customer money ?

Even you should realize the unstated premise: all other things being equal ... products compete on price. Your short-lived promise to piss off and not return lasted about as long as I expect from a marketing promise. You have found your niche.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but you're not talking about price as it relates to perceived value, you're talking about price and payback. a mistake made by many naysayers. i'm sure their are some people who bought a prius because they liked the car, not because 'in so many years/miles' i will be making money.

6. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'll say this one more time - we're done.

Your rant about oil, war and terrorism - on the prior page - was absolutely priceless. Gotta print this out for my co-workers tomorrow, who warned me that some of your were arrogant/smug....maybe even a bit nuts.

Not gonna waste my time discussing with someone as clearly emotionally vested in the PHV, as you appear to be. It's a waste of my time, so we're done....enjoy the rest of your day.

7. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Sure I am...ie, talking about price as it relates to "perceived value". Payback is all part of the "perceived value". If something is perceived to be better (eg, gas mileage of the PHV vs the non-PHV), then the next question to ask is - how much more do i have to pay to get this benefit?

Your analogy is flawed. I think most people, when presented with two nearly identical vehicles (ie PHV Prius and non-PHV Prius), except for gas mileage, will ask the following question:

"How much more do I have to pay to get 25mpg more?"

The next question I would ask is....how much more will my electric bills (at home) go up, and then, what is the true (total) energy/transportation cost of both vehicles.

By the way - you completely ignored my question about the Corolla? Disingenuous?

As I said before - Some people will buy the PHV, or an all electric vehicle no matter what the cost. For this segment, cost is not the driving factor. For this segment, it's all about being a pioneer, trend setter and being out in front with the lattest technology.

But make no mistake, this segement is tiny. You're NOT going to save the environment, or reduce our dependence on foreign oil (if that's your agenda) by pricing high, and only selling, say, 20K units. It's a drop in the bucket. There's only two things that will help sales volume - (1) Cost competitive (to similar other hybrid, or non-hybrid vehicles) and/ or (2) high gas prices...I mean like $5/gallon.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course, if they are a dollar, they'll outsell everyone. but your original post seemed to imply that the majority of the buying public is more concerned with payback from gas savings and how the phev price will corrolate to the hev price. in which case i don't think toyota is interested in stealing sales from their own product, but will certainly be eyeballing the competitions pricing.

9. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is interesting, the plug in Ford Fusion & the PHV Prius are due in the same model year, are the manufactures waiting/hoping for new battery technology ?

10. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

What's the objective here? Well, that depends on your perspective.

IMO (as I stated many posts ago) - Toyota would be foolish to price the PHV too close to it's nearest (internal) competitor, the non-PHV prius. This is why I expect (at least) a $5K differential, and possibly much higher than this. So the question Toyota is asking themselves...how many people are willing to pay an additional $5K-$10K to get an additional 25mpg more? That's it. Maybe not even that.

I was just over at our local Toyota dealership this weekend. they had 30 Prii on the lot. They had exactly two of the model V @31K. They had 4 of the Model IV @29K...of the remaining 24 on the lot, not one of these was more than $24K. Why do you think such a skewed distribution? Because most people buy based on price.

Except for the few trend setters, techies, environmentalists and others where money is no object...the vast majority of the car buying public will choose between the Prius and the PHV Prius based on the price differential. For this large segement, price is still king. If it were not, Toyota would sell a lot more than 100K Prii/year in the US.

Doing the math, I could very well see this happening when Toyota introduces the PHV Prius in 2012: 80,000 Prius are sold and 20,000 PHV Prius are sold in 2012. Does Toyota make more profit with this outcome? Still total volume of 100K Prii sold. Did Toyota bring in any significant new buyers, or did they just siffon away buyers that might have bought the regular Prius? Have they improved their market share/position? No, and no, IMO.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and that's probably true of any car. and there might be more than one package for the phev? so there would be more than one price?

12. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Comparing base models in each. If the base PHV Prius comes out at $29K (for example), and then fully loaded, you might be looking at a car that's pushing into the high 30's. Sorry, they won't sell many of these. I promise you that.

Doing the math, I could very well see this happening when Toyota introduces the PHV Prius in 2012: 80,000 Prius are sold and 20,000 PHV Prius are sold in 2012. Does Toyota make more profit with this outcome? Still total volume of 100K Prii sold. Did Toyota bring in any significant new buyers, or did they just siffon away buyers that might have bought the regular Prius? Have they improved their market share/position? No, and no, IMO.

If Toyota is comfortable in keeping the total Prius (and PHV Prius) volume at the niche level, or in the low 100's, then they can pretty much price it where ever they want. However, if they wish to grow this segement...and especially now that there's new competition, they will have to very aggressively price both versions of the Prius.

Fact - you will not grow the hybrid segment if your price point is in the high 20's to low 30's. That just won't happen until gas climbs to $5 or $6/gallon...

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Your strong opinions seem to be inversely proportional to your awareness of facts. Have you looked at the median new car price lately, or a price distribution curve ? Every person who buys an American nameplate car for over $22,000 ignores your marketing dictums because they are leaving fuel economy savings and better reliability on the table in order to satisfy a desire. For someone who "works in marketing," you really do not get it. At all.

That is about 4 million cars a year, during recession!

There are multiple obvious reasons for Toyota to sell a PHEV at prices that do not increase their profits, and even do not net them a single new net customer:
    • Avoid losing customers who demand PHEV;
    • Gain experience in PHEV
    • Maintain green image
    • Maintain green leader position
    • Expand and Consolidate Supplier Network
    You suffer from 3 month profit syndrome. Toyota does not.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think toyota will do what's best for toyota, i don't think you need to woory about their sales or marketing policies. some here wonder why they are even coming out with a phev when, a few years ago they said they had no plans to. things change rapidly in todays world and no one has proved to be more astute at forecasting the publics driving desires more than toyota. i don't know where they will price the phev or why, but i do know that i will look at it and whatever competition it has and will make a decision based on many factors, price being one of them.:)

15. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You still here?

Really, go back to spewing about terrorism, oil and the war...you really know nothing about this subject. Sorry to sound "arrogant" (just taking a page out of your book), but it's the truth.

I could cite survey after survey, study after study about why it's now fashionable to buy American again, but i'll simply link you to this article:

Poll: Americans again prefer U.S.-made cars - Business - Autos - msnbc.com

"Watching an iconic American industry beaten down amid the Great Recession may be one reason Americans are giving U.S. automakers a closer look.

"I think Americans are beginning to realize the significance of America's auto industry to its history and to its future, and we're a bit more sensitive now to what will be its fate," said John Heitmann, an auto historian at the University of Dayton.

"Keep the wages in the American hand, supplying jobs for Americans. Why not keep the cash flow where we are and benefit for ourselves?" Sullivan said. "And I think also that Ford, for myself, builds a really good car."

Certainly amongst many older buyers and many average/blue clollar buyers, there's one thing that transcends the price tag - patriotism.

It's called "Buy American". But given your prior rants about the war, etc...I really don't expect you to get it.

16. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Who's "woory" about Toyota? Not me. ;)

Although i would like to see this segment grow, and have more Americans embrace hybrid/electric vehicles. That's where I am coming from...and in order to do that, companies like Toyota need to bring in more NEW buyers. Not simply keep it at the niche level, by re-distributing the ones that already believe in the hybrid revolution.

People will base their purchases based on their own individual needs and priorities. What I've been saying is - For the vast majority, price is critical. I've given you several examples to make that point.

If they come in at the high 20's to low 30's for a base PHV, then IMO, they will NOT grow this segment...and that would be a shame...for multiple reasons, none of which having to do with Toyota.

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford is using JCI-saft in their transit connect, LG in anouther ev likely the focus ev, and likely JCI-saft in the plug in focus and fusion although these may be LG. The battery technology is there, but plants are still being built and volume will likely reduce manufacturing costs. The ford batteries will be built in new US plants.

Toyota is likely using primearth for their lithium batteries and did give indications that the technology was not ready in 2009. Less is known about whether they are happy with the chemistry in the phv prius.

1 person likes this.
  18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, I am aware of that great marketing gimmick "buy american." As I said, motivations other than price are obvious in purchasing decisions.

Your version of "patriotism" is a fine example of stupidity. These people buy cars from Mexico, and then cluelessly send the oil dollars out of the country. Let me guess -- you "think" the Iraq war was about WMD ? No, NO, I remember; it was to "bring democracy to Iraq." Or was it to "punish the Iraqi people for 9/11?"

It is hard to keep neo-con riitard nonsense straight.

1 person likes this.
  19. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I thought I'll lend support to your numbers. I ran similarly detailed calculations based on public data (the free variety) and reached pretty much the same conclusion - breakeven with a non-hybrid in 5-6 years with my expected mileage (~ I think I used 15000/year @ average $2.5 - $3/gallon gas). Pure savings after that.

Apart from the fact that I needed a replacement car pretty much urgently when I purchased mine, I didn't think PHEVs made financial sense based on my assumptions then, all I remember is that they came far behind in $s saved over the length of my analysis which was 5 years. My analysis ran only to 5 years and not more (I held onto my last car for 8+ years) because the depreciation data wasn't available for longer durations (although at > 7 years you could probably assume a lowball blanket selling price, say, $2G).

However if you can wait, just wait a couple years more when more reliable numbers and expectations will be released. Otherwise, I don't think you could go wrong by investing in the G3 (I wouldn't speak in the same breath about the 35 mpg hybrids on the market).

20. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

I'm surprised that nobody has even entertained the residual resale value in the calculations. What is the residual resale value of a $3K "solar package" of a Prius, vs. the residual resale value of a $5K (or more) Plug-In package?