1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ANWR, the last pristine wilderness. Oh really?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by amped, Jun 17, 2008.

1. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We don't need no stinking Caribou, or Polar bears, or Musk Oxen, or geese, or, or, or,,,,,,,we need gas! Cheap gas!

Icarus

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Too right, you seen one Musk Oxen you seen em all. Just wack a couple in a zoo and get down to business. I ain't never goin' to no wilderness reserve dat aint even in the lower 49 states so nice person far nice person I's concerned it don't matter none what happens to the darn place, just give me cheap gas fer my truck n get ta ferk owda my way!
    That's the attitude to have. :D

3. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    icarus, you make a good point on the rail industry! Demanding the land with mineral rights back through legislation would really put their panties in a bunch. Have Priority through frieght for perishables to central drop points for truckers to pick up for short haul. But then I supose they would want a piece of the trucking end too?

They rake the farmers over the coals (literally, they where getting about 1 mil per 110 cars delivered to TX power stations back in 81 & 82 when I worked for a TX rail road) with their unit car rates and they don't want to even get off the main line. Little independant rail lines have sprung up all over the area to handle the grain elevators out in the sticks. Now all the elevators are building along main line to meet a quick turn around for 110 car unit trains when they can get them. Again increasing distance for farmers to truck to off load if there is no elevator close by.

I can handle gas at a fair rate but people that burn for heating need a tax break to off set cost of converting to natural or electric or a combo.

Maybe A MUNICIPAL geothermal where appropriate.

4. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bulk, and containers are the Rwys name of the game. Try to get a single freight car load across the country much less a LTL load on the Rwy: almost impossible. Short lines and Terminal Rwys take up some of the slack. Rail can't (at present) compete with trucks on time, but it sure can compete with bulk, and fuel efficiency.

Icarus

PS I agree that farmers get screwed along the way. Local elevators closing, having to truck crop further etrc. I have driven I-90-94 between Duluth and Seattle 3-5 times a year for 30+years. (as well as the highline Hwy 2 as well as the TransCanada. The number of transport trucks hauling grain the entire way from western MT to Duluth grows each year. (I used to drive over the road myself years ago) It's crazy!

5. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV