1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any 2012's running original 12v?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by markabele, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think that depends strongly on whether the SKS system is “ON” and how long it has been waiting for a signal, as I recall that the computer will power down the SKS system after a week or so. We also have a 2012 hatchback with trim level 3, and on our console under “vehicle setup” you can access a menu to turn the SKS system “OFF “. You then have to manually unlock the car and hold the key fob right next to the “Power” button to actually start the car. However, we have let our Prius sit 6 weeks to 2 months by doing this procedure and not exhausted the 12v battery. Mind you , there is still a small, constant parasitic drain and it is not good for the 12-volt battery, but we have never yet had to use the 12-volt emergency jump pack yet.

2. bluemanalbert

bluemanalbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I did exactly that. Left my car parked in LA while in vacation. Came back to find out my fiance had left the dome light on and we had to wait for about an hour to get roadside assistance to send someone out to charge it up. In less than 30 seconds we were back on the road. It was the waiting around that made me buy a portable charger for when I'm on longer trips and want to make sure I am not left waiting for help.

be well

Robert Holt and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    i just recently traded in my 2012 Prius Plug In and it still had the original 12v battery in working condition.

Silver Pine Mica likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Mine measured around 16~18 milliamperes, with spikes every 5~10 seconds to around 40~44.

Robert Holt and QuantumFireball like this.
  5. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Now you make me curious what subsystem is causing those spikes. I wonder if I turn off the SKS system, would those spikes reduce or go away? Hmm. Today would have neen warm enough to fool around, but was testing a new ebike build instead.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm pretty sure it's not the red blinking security icon; it's blinks are more frequent.

Robert Holt likes this.
  7. Parishorganist

Parishorganist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    No problem with mine. 2012 with 80,000 miles. South Coast of UK.

markabele likes this.
  8. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Did anyone see any increase in EV range after replacing the 12V battery? Mine's still the original (seems to be a label suggesting May 2012 on it) and I'm wondering if it's having an impact on this, as the range disappointingly has gone down to around 8.8 miles recently...

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nope, mine didn't change at all. but every situation is different i think

nothing else change for you, tires, weather?

10. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Both of those things - I changed to all-season tyres (only two of them), and it's a lot colder than it was in the summer. I expect a drop in estimated range at this time of the year by around 1 mile, but last winter IIRC it was around 9.1 miles.

I don't know how much of an impact the tyres have made, and unfortunately it'd be fairly expensive to find out - and it's also disappointing in a way as they're so much better in terms of ride quality and grip.

I also installed a dashcam last month, which is hardwired and has a parking mode. It's currently set to turn off if the battery gets to 12.4V and it seems a bit random whether it will do that in a day, but I'm wondering if the extra load on the 12V battery is also affecting range at all?

Basically: Too many variables, and a 7 year old battery on top of all that :)

Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would say it has to have some impact, but tough to figure how much, .2 miles might be about it.

i thought i would get more years out of my 12v, as it was showing no load voltage of 12.7, but one day it just up and quit.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  12. Giorgi Diasamidze

Giorgi Diasamidze New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have 2012 Plug-in, ODO 185K still have battery that comes with new vehicle, holds 13.9-14.05 V.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Either you are measuring that while the car is in READY mode, or your voltmeter is reading bad. A 12V lead-acid battery at rest, not actively charging, should not read that high even when new and still on the factory manufacturing line where it was just built.

Measure it while the car is turned off, not charging or plugged in, preferably for many hours, such as overnight.

===============

FWIW, I just changed the battery in my spouse's daily driver, a 1989 Integra, a week ago today. Turns out it was manufactured in October 2008, installed the same month, just over 12 years ago, a new record for my household. We usually go 7-9 years in my climate zone, though these modern cars with always-on electronics seem to run shorter than the older truly-off cars such as that Integra.

I do strongly recommend against going this long to anyone depending on a particular vehicle. We got away with it because of having a spare vehicle, so when it failed to start a couple weeks earlier, she just switched to another car. I knew it was about gone when a 1.5 amp battery tender completely filled it, from flat to fully charged, in under 2 hours. I.e. probably under 5% of its original capacity.

#53 fuzzy1, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Yea Right and Mendel Leisk like this.