1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any advantage to having EV charge when running with ICE?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by rpatters1, Jan 19, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no way the engine isn't used for power if the battery gets too low. it all depends on how much battery you start with, how cold it is, and the type of driving you do before it's warmed up.

2. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In California, the voters demanded cleaner air, and the regulations are pretty strict. Not sure why that increases the price per gallon of gasoline 33% or more, but I'm sure the regulations are a large part of the extra cost. From the refinery to the pump - everybody in the chain wants the money back that they're spending to upgrade and meet regs. The end of the line is where they get that money back.

3. PlumbersCrack

PlumbersCrack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bingo Man. I don't ever plug mine in at home. The only way I will ever plug it in is if I can get the electricity for free. Even at 3 bucks a gallon here in Los Angeles, it's still not worth it. With SoCal Edison winter rates, I'm at 30cents a kw/hr. To drive 600 miles on EV it would cost me roughly 72 bucks to charge. I could do that same distance with gas, even at 3 bucks a gallon, in half that cost. Total waste of my money to charge.

4. mrlebop

mrlebop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree with you Tracksyde. My commute is right on the edge of achievable range too. I've never fretted about mileage like this before. I used to try and hypermile my 2011 Honda Fit and it went from 31 to 31 mpg! Lol, then I just learned to enjoy driving it like the tight go-cart that it is. But with the PiP I'm a total granny, keeping it under 61 mph, pulse and glide, going without heat, keeping my foot off the pedal on ALL downhills, etc. roflmao. WHAT. HAS. HAPPENED TO ME!!!!?????

At 6.3 cents per KWH here in PA with an alternate provider, I break even with gas at about $2.15 per gallon, best I can tell. Below that gas is more cost effective. I still charge for other reasons, mainly the local generation of the electricity instead of shipping it from terrorist nations. And its only 11 miles per charge...

#24 mrlebop, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016
    Tracksyde likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! what makes kWh so cheap in pa? i'm paying 24 cents.:(