1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Android users here?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Former Member 68813, May 21, 2017.

?
  1. Android

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. iPhone

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Inspired by the informative thread on Windows vs Linux, I have a few questions about Android. But first, I need to make sure priuschat members are not all iPhone people. BTW, the first vote is from myself.

RCO and SDH909 like this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Android user here, phones, FireTV, Nook readers, etc.

Never really understood ADB and developer toolkit, but have rooted and loaded OS software with Odin.

3. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been since switching over from Palm OS. Love the customizability of android over being an "iSheep".

SM-T530NU ?

RCO and xliderider like this.
  4. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Similar here, but my first smartphone was actually iPhone 1st gen. I loved the UI and I got it used on ebay and jailbroke it to use on T-Mobile network (i'm a cheap bastard). but i was bothered by difficulty moving files from-to the iPhone (i have no other apple devices). it became very slow after "upgrade" to OS3.X. my daughter had iPhone 3G at that time (2nd gen) and it became slow and mostly unusable after "upgrade" to OS4. That was it for me.

I'm happy with Android and love how you plug it up to USB and transfer files freely.
    However, I recently noticed that my phone is slowing down and especially this very priuschat website makes it crawl. This is on Wi-Fi with very fast internet.
    It was a bit low on free storage, so I cleaned it up and got almost 2GB free space.
    No improvement.
    Then I remembered how the priuschat website is slow even on PC if one doesn't run Adblockers.
    I installed Adblock Browser to use instead of the default Chrome Browser, and noticed some improvement, but nothing major.
    Should I upgrade to something newer or try something radical like Android AppKiller app?
    How about AntiVirus for Android?

The phone in question is Motorola Moto G, Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7, 8GB/1GB, Android version 5.1.

Thanks!

#4 Former Member 68813, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One problem I've had throughout Android on more than one phone, is the external memory card can have corrupted files or file tables. When that happens, the phone will slow to a crawl as the OS is busy trying to resolve the file access issue.

You can try taking the memory card out of the device and reboot without the memory card. If your phone is fast and trouble free, then you should start suspecting problems on your memory card.

RCO likes this.
  6. davids45

davids45 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    G'day,
    Android phones and an old tablet here. Apples just to expensive for me - well, since the IIe anyway.

A question for xliderider:
    If the sd card from a phone or tablet is removed and put into a card-reader on a computer, can fsck be run on the card to fix any file errors of the type you suspect could be slowing down the phone/tablet?
    Despite the grandchildren regularly playing games on my phone and tablet, so far the devices don't seem slower than I remember. My biggest beef is the 'insufficient memory' to install a new app from the Google 'store'. Every time now, I have to uninstall the Google Updates which then allows the new-app installation, on a ONE-OFF basis. Plenty of space on the SD card but little on the phone internal memory - setting the SD card for application install location in 'Settings' didn't fix this. Maybe a newer Android version would help as the latest I have is 4.2.2 on the phone, the tablet is 4.1.2.

David S.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it's just a corrupted file, then file recovery may be possible. If it's a file allocation table, then I haven't had any luck recovering the memory card.

RCO likes this.
  8. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    my phone doesn't have external memory, so it's not that. I also installed the most light weight AV i could find: BitDefender and no malware.
    i mean the phone is well usable, it's just some websites are very slow. specifically PriusChat and WeatherUnderground come to mind.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    PriusChat is terrible on my phone as well. There's an entire thread devoted to the problems with this website, using both mobile and computers.

Sometimes a simple reboot will help your phone's performance, especially if it's been a while since the last time it was rebooted.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Android here, but I was very late to the smart phone game, waiting for the right price point with prepaid service and my expected low data usage. Service cost sensitivity drove my system choice.

11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a Moto G like yours, but found it showed after updating to Lollipop and was also vulnerable to certain malware. IMHO, it was a great phone (brilliant for the price), but it's getting a bit too old now, I ditched mine for a Nexus 6 some years ago but that slowed after updating to Marshmallow. It was another great phone and improve a bit when I force it onto A7.0 but at from this October coming, Google will stop spring it too. Just got an unlocked Hwawei P9 and learning the new tricks with that. Yup, I'm definitely an Android fan!

I certainly do think a newer phone will improve things for you. Previously I've bought a good old model that's just been replaced by a later one and wait for the price to drop. Beware the the others lurking to buy so you have to jump in before stocks run out.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I drive both.
    I have an i-thingy that my company compels me to use (6s.)
    It's a great phone, and it's free for me to use, although I've been tempted to explore the performance limits of the (included) otter-box on numerous occasions with it when it acts like an i-phone.
    My personal phone is a Moto G4 which delivers pretty dang good performance for the buck-fifty that it set me back.
    When I've saved about another $150 in insurance that I didn't have to pay, I'll probably club up to a G5.

Droids versus i-thingies is now pretty much a Ford-Chevy argument with the exception of the fact that you can still get 90-percent of a flag-ship phone's performance out of a $200 droid - but those who "have to have" the latest kit will easily blow as much on one as the other.

My Droid uses 7.x (or 'Nougat'....Motos use a very-nearly-stock, or un-bloated OS) While my i-thingy is probably one point behind the latest OS version (10.3.1 versus 10.3.2?) while people in various parts of my beloved company bicker and fight over whether the latest "upgrade" is approved to work with our aps.
    One good thing about Apple is that they don't nag you to death about upgrading, but the "upgrades" seem to be much more frequent, while my droid shipped with 6.x (Marshmallow) and has only nagged me about an upgrade once.
    Another yuuuuuuuuuge advantage (or disadvantage) with an i-thingy is that you're in the same walled garden as any other IOS thing that you own, and one can expect that if you.....say.......drop your phone or tablet off of a ladder at 0245 while performing network maintenance, then if you buy the same tablet then it will be a virtual clone of your broken i-thingy once you've restored your data and settings from the i-cloud
    (Don't ask me how I know.... :eek: )
    Droids do this as well, but not nearly as well.
    Another i-advantage is hardware.
    Cameras just work better on a $900 phone than they do on a $200 one.
    Another great thing about i-thingies is that they have physical 'mute' switches, although I have found that in meetings and in church it's almost exclusively IOS people that forget to use this feature.
    Love the irony......

Droids of course have the advantages of both kinds of freedom......'from' and 'to'.
    You have the freedom from having to play in a walled garden, and you have the freedom TO upgrade things like memory and aps.

You just have to be careful.
    "To" freedoms can come at a price..... ;)

Your performance problems with PC are almost certainly ad-related.
    When I'm @ work, I have a stoopid fast connection, but out intranet always has to wrestle with Danny's site for a bit before I'm able to come in and play.
    Unfortunately, if you're using a Moto G1, you cannot take advantage of Marshmallow or Nougats memory management (adoptable external memory) but the G1 is still a dang good phone.
    I think that 50+percent of your problems are external to the phone.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "Another great thing about i-thingies is that they have physical 'mute' switches"
    So do some Andriods.

RCO likes this.