1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any big problems with ct200h or 4th gen

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by tom & lisa s c, Nov 17, 2018.

1. tom & lisa s c

tom & lisa s c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thinking of buying a ct200 h or 4th gen just wondering if any major things break on these 2 cars .i like the lexus but seems like i read about more problems even thou its mostly gen 3 .any thing you ve heard would be great to hear thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it's the gen 3 engine, the egr needs maintenance. haven't heard much else, but this isn't the place

gen 4 not enough miles yet, but so far so good.

3. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had CT 200h for 4 years / 105.000 miles. Only changed front brake rotors as they went bad at around 90.000 miles.

bisco likes this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The CT200h is based on a Gen3 PRIUS, and as such is older technology than a 4th Gen.

Gen 4 has better l/100km, has RADAR Cruise down to 0km/hr and has better safety technology - among many other improvements.

Though - not sure what country you're in - the Gen 4 specifications differ between countries.

5. tom & lisa s c

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks canada im concerned with anything with gen 3 with bad rings and head gaskets blowing but i like the 200h better

6. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally both extremely reliable - hit the top of the Consumer Reports etc charts - but, nothing is perfect.

Before you buy one, drive them both, as well as a Gen 4. The - the CT-200h is neater, fancier and more stylish. But quite a lot less practical, the boot/trunk/luggage space particularly is verrrrry poor, and back seat not real good. In F-Sport guise, the ride is quite poor, though standard model is fine. Seats are better in LEXUS - just tighter. I've had 2 baby seats plus a small child, or one seat plus 2 children often in my back seat comfortably - couldn't do that in CT200h.

I originally looked at a Gen 3 and CT200h in late 2015, and except for style, the Gen 3 won out - but I read overseas reports of Gen 4, so decided to wait. The Gen 4 leaves both Gen 3 and CT200h for dead - a whole generation behind in driving experience and almost all areas of practicality. Gen 3 is a bit better for small nooks of storage and, depends on how you measure it, boot space is different arrangement in Gen 4.

Not sure what country you're in - if you're in Australia, a Gen 4 is cheaper than an equivalent CT200h - though there aren't many of either for sale - check the price difference.

But even so, it's not possible to get an equivalent CT200h to a Gen 4. The Gen 4 has more - and better - safety tech and has Full Speed RADAR Cruise which the LEXUS hasn't even got available - think LEXUS (and Gen 3 if equipped) cuts out at 30km/hr, which makes it useless except for highway driving.

If you did compare Gen 3 or CT200h, both use higher RON petrol than Gen 4 - depending on what country you're in - here, it cost$ 10% more to fuel up either of them than a Gen 4. And LEXUS service is considerably dearer than TOYOTA - but their coffee while you wait is better, I'm told.

Only advantage I could see of LEXUS is that it has 4 yrs Warranty, compared with only 3 yrs for TOYOTA - so you could still get one still with factory warranty.

Actually just re-read your question - are you saying that you're in Canada?

7. tom & lisa s c

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Whats concerns me most is this 3rd gen stories of oil consumption and then gasket failure .with the 4th gen there could other new problems .i like the look of the 200 and can get then here in canada with very low km unlike the gen 3 s

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd say go for it!(y) just clean the egr every 75,000 km or so.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I researched nearly 3 yrs ago, the stories are fairly rare. There's not a car out there which hasn't the occasional problem.

Just drive the 3, 4 and 200 first so you know the difference.

10. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You can see in my sig below that we've had these cars. The Gen3 Prius had 5 recalls while I owned it. The CT200h has not had any, even though it is a Gen3 Prius inside. The Gen 4 (in my case the Prime) has been trouble free for a year and a half, with pretty much zero maintenance thus far. Buy with confidence.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some gen4 recalls though, no?

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    4th gen had a wiring harness problem, possibility it could start fraying. That's an easy fix I think.

Also there were instance of a rear suspension mounting bolt coming loose, and again there's a service bulletin and a fix.

There's been a few minor reports of the car just dying, maybe the inverter, but not widespread, and hopefully resolved.

3rd gen (and CT200 I'd assume to be similar) had a brake booster recall. That's come and gone, but there still might be problems cropping up with that.

There was also a reprogramming of the computers, after instances of inverters failing due to heavy loading during hard acceleration. So maybe the inverters are a little weak, regardless.

There's been a notification, an acknowledgement by Toyota, that the EGR "can" clog, and if there's symptoms or a code you can bring it in and they'll remedy. The reality seems to be more along the lines of the EGR "will" clog, and it's best to get on it before it gets to far along, probably just DIY and clean parts, since a slowly clogging EGR is slowly raising engine operating temps, stressing head gasket, gumming up piston rings, and on and on.

Personally, I find a lot of ergonomic and aesthetic changes in the 4th gen not to my liking, also reduced storage capacity, reduced rear visibility. The damn things get really good mpg though. The EGR system has had some mods that may slow clogging; I don't think a single 4th gen'r has had a look yet, at least not reported here.

Either 3rd or 4th gen can use an Oil Catch Can on the PCV circuit. 3rd gen'rs are on it, 4th gen'rs not that I've heard of here.

Addendum: 3rd gen also had an air-curtain airbag fix recall.

#12 Mendel Leisk, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  13. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    When I went to purchased additional Prius for my business the dealer (also Lexus) gave me a deal on two low optioned CT's (no NAV) that I could not pass up -- we have 2011 Prius fives, 2015 CT's and 2016 Prius 4 touring. The Gen 3 Prius is the most practical design .. the CT's are the most comfortable.

My thought at the time he offered the deal was that while the CT's were shorter-- they drove better and were more comfortable .. still giving me the MPG and reliability of the hybrid. Was thinking that anytime I needed a bit more storage space or back seat -- I had the Prius. The CT is a very practical vehicle. Honestly -- the design of the Gen 4 is not as practical as the 3's. Either Prius would be better if adults were in the back with any regularity or distance.

For the most part we are one or two people in our cars --we have two weekend places that we drive out to and the CT's are great. They don't get the MPG of the Prius ... mid 40's to 50 max. We can easily get 60MPG on the Gen4's and mid 50's on the 3's.

Our CT's have Softex .. not leather .. they are very comfortable. Nice driving little car .. both around 40k ... no problems. Just oil changes and filters. Our CT's have sunroofs -- heated seats -- backup camera in the mirror. I think they all have power seats and duel climate. Not much else.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just had our first report of a blown 4th ben head gasket at 63,000 miles. hopefully just a one off

15. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It hasn't been confirmed yet, though. Just symptoms so far. No report yet on how it's been cared for either.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, you never get the cared for part. i'm not worried about one...

alanclarkeau likes this.
  17. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, remember the complaint about the paint a year or 2 back - can't remember if it was Gen 4 or Gen 3. The car hadn't been washed for close to a year - end of sympathetic response.

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how can i forget, it's in @grid 's signature:p

Raytheeagle and alanclarkeau like this.
  19. tom & lisa s c

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks everyone for the comments

20. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Dear Tom and Lisa,

Fantastic car. Zero problems engine problems after 3 prius'. Yes lots of safety recalls; I think that's because Toyota genuinely cares about this car it's very important.