1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Bluetooth Streaming Audio Experts Out There?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hankpink, Mar 16, 2012.

1. hankpink

hankpink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    EDIT:

Here is the short version of my question, in case you don't want to read the novel below!:

As far as I know, you can only connect one Bluetooth streaming source to the 2012 base radio head unit at a time... but can I still have my iPhone connected to answer calls while listening to music streamed from a different Bluetooth enabled audio device? If not, how hard/easy is it to switch between bluetooth sources?

EDIT:

Good morning - I apologize first, for what will most likely be a long post!

I picked up my brand new winter gray 2012 Prius II last saturday... And I have to say, it has been a joy to drive... I picked it up out of state while visitinh my parents in NY, and drove it pack to Massachusetts, where I have been driving to work and home... and I'm getting 53MPG without even trying!

I would love to add a stock XM tuner to the car, but despite a lot of searching I and others on this forum can find little information about the base stock radio, and if adding a XM tuner to it is even possiable - And it would be helpful to know if the 2012 has the XM antenna preinstalled like older models too!

Anyway, I have successfully paired my iPhone 4 with the car and I am pleased with it's functionality... It works as expected for taking and making calls, and audio streaming is good - I love that it picks up right where I left off when I get back in the car!

I discovered that not only does the ipod music work through the head unit, but Pandora works as well - and displays Album, Track, Artist, etc. info on the head unit, and lets me skip tracks using the steering wheel buttons! An unexpected bonus! However, the XM Radio app does not desplay any info, nor do the steering wheel controls work with it... I've discovered that XM makes a portable radio that does Bluetooth audio streaming - the Lynx.

Which finally leads to my big question - As far as I know, you can only connect one streaming source to the head unit at a time... but can I still have my iPhone connected to answer calls while listening to music streamed from the XM unit?

If not, how hard/easy is it to switch between bluetooth sources?

Again, sorry for the long post - but figured I'd get as much detail in as I could!

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since the BT pairing for phone functionality and audio streaming are 2 different steps, I see no reason why you couldn't do what you want (use iPhone for BT phone functionality, and another device for BT audio streaming), thought I've not personally confirmed this.

3. hankpink

hankpink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks Stream - That's what I was thinking too - but was not completely sure... This might just solve my problem, and give me a cool little portable radio to boot..

All in all, I guess it's worth a try! and if it actually gives me info on the radio, and stering wheel cotrole, I can just hide it in the glove box and not have to think about it!

4. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yep, you can have your phone set for phone and have a different device set for audio. The XM app probably hasn't been updated to work with the updated AVRCP version in iOS 5. Pandora and TuneIn Radio are ones that have, among others I'm sure.

5. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I can use my iPhone in blue tooth for music and for phone calls, I can also run my Ipod at the same time via usb. using the toggle s/w on the steering wheel moves thru, AM,FM, b/t, iPod. also the BT iPhone also comes up as Ipod if no iPod is hooked up via usb.

6. hankpink

hankpink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, partial success, I guess. I picked up the SiriusXm lynx today, along with the car dock. Everything connected successfully, Bluetooth streaming and iPhone both work at the same time- however I only get pause and play functionality on the head unit. No data or info, nor do the steeling wheel controls work with it.

I guess I will stay hopefull that a software update to the xm radio will give me full functionality- but I won't hold my breath. Now I have to find a place to put this radio within reach while driving. Just what I did not want to do!

7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Someone complained that 2012 Entune does not have this feature anymore, phone in 1 BT device and streaming music on 2nd BT device.

8. Matt M.

Matt M. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think the answer is yes. I have my (Nokia) cell phone and my iPod actively connected via Bluetooth to my Four with solar roof package all the time. Occasionally it seems like the car will connect to the phone for both calls and audio, but when I go to the BT menu on the audio system and manually connect it to the ipod, I can stream music from the ipod and the phone still works for calls.

9. Scott & Lacy

Scott & Lacy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hank, I hope you dont mind me leveraging off your thread but I don't know where else to ask this question - which is BTSA related.

Does anyone know if it is normal to NOT get any artist or song information to display on the audio screen when running Pandora through BT? I can see the artist information on my IPhone but not on the car's display. While some other functions work on the display in this mode (like pause or advance which I can operate from the steering wheel or touching the screen) it does not show song/artist information or album art. I have a 2012 Prius IV base model. BTW, although I get the song info and artwork on the car's audio display when I run Pandora through Entune, the sound is much better when I play it via BT. I hope this is somewhat clear and much thanks to anyone with any input!

10. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's normal to see no info over Bluetooth if you're not on iOS 5 and don't have the latest Pandora app. Are you running the latest iOS and app? For better Pandora sound quality update to v2.1 software as it fixed that issue.

11. Scott & Lacy

Scott & Lacy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Guru for the suggestions! I just brought in the mail and I see the Entune upgrade arrived so I'll have an upgrading party tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

12. Scott & Lacy

Scott & Lacy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bingo~! It all came together and WOW what a big difference in the quality of the music and even in the clarity of the screen and graphics. Thank you Guru!! The only missing item remaining is figuring out why the apps only work with my Iphone when I use that white wire to connect it to the the USB. I picked up on a thread that other phones seem to be able to operate the apps wirelessly but not the Iphone.....can anyone confirm this? Thanks~

13. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's because it uses the USB data channel on the iPhone for everything. Apple only lets you use one channel, Bluetooth or USB, so there can be problems on the phone if the system tries to use both. The HDD system does it, but it also has a problem with reconnecting where you need to either A) not plug it in or B) restart the phone to reset the OS.

14. Scott & Lacy

Scott & Lacy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Guru, I get it (I think)....so is there the possibility that future Iphones or OS upgrades MIGHT allow me to ditch the cord in the future?