1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any "Buffy" fans out there?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by moxiequz, Aug 3, 2007.

1. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So now that the Browncoats have reported in I'm curious to see how many "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" fans there are here. I'm a bit behind the times on this myself. I had never seen the series before a few months ago when a coworker lent me the first season on DVD and basically browbeat me into watching it. I had always just dismissed it as standard TV fare with a monster-of-the-week gloss (memories of the original movie trailer and reviews didn't help either). After watching - reluctantly at first - the first few episodes though I was hooked. I ended up buying the Buffy-in-a-box collection and tearing through the rest of the seasons. Season 5 (Glory) is my favorite, followed very closely by the (apparently) controversial season 6 (Spike/Buffy).

So, that said - are you a "Buffy" fan? :) What are your favorite and least favorite episodes?

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll bite... yes I like me some Buffy. I have friends who watched it religiously when it aired, but I never saw a whole episode until a couple months ago. My wife gave birth to our first child, and suddenly we were spending a LOT of time sitting in the living room, feeding or caring for her.

So a friend of ours loaned us the box set. We just started season 5, and so far Buffy Vs Dracula is my absolute least favorite episode of all. The actor who played Dracula was pathetically bad looking, too young, and had a weak fake accent. I've considered the possibility that all that was intentional and part of the joke of the whole episode, that Dracula is B-Movie fare and should be treated as such, but it fell flat for me.

Then I got really annoyed with the next episode wherein Buffy suddenly has a little sister we've never heard of before :rolleyes: I do hope the season gets better!

And not to derail, but another Joss Whedon classic is "Firefly," which you should go watch RIGHT NOW if you haven't seen it.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My wife turned me on to Buffy. Yes, we've seen every episode and of Angel too. I've also seen all the Firefly. Joss Whedon makes good shows.

If you started with Season 5, you need to stop right now. i don't care how, but start at the beginning. In fact, start with the movie. Different actors and actresses, but good for the history of the character and the plotline.

As for her sister, there's a reason you've never heard of her before but that's all I'm going to say about that.

Favorite and least favorite episodes? I'm not sure. Besides, if I tell you, there might be plot twist info that I wouldn't want to ruin like if I were to say that Harry kills Voldemort at the end. Oops! Did I say that out loud? :lol:

4. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, no, we just started season 5 after having watched every prior season over the last 2 months.

It's weird that Harry Potter and Voldemort would show up in the end of Buffy... ;)

5. meshell

meshell New Member

i am a huge buffy fan!!! have been for many years. i was so sad when the series was cancelled. i also love the angel series. i have all kinds of weird collectors stuff too...sad, i know. my favorite episodes are 'hush' and 'buffy vs dracula'...but in truth they are all amazing! the fifth season of buffy was kinda sad though...i still watch both shows every morning on sci fi while getting ready for work! FINALLY...more buffy converts!

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep. Buffy fan here. Haven't completed my DVD collection. I was buying a season at a time and got behind.

My favorites?

Buffy: the Musical

The Gentlemen (One where no one talks.)

I also think the one where Buffy deals with the death of her mother is great TV.

Buffy was only nominated for Emmy awards for make-up. It's a shame because it was great writing, great story, great dialogue, great TV. There was a lot more to Buffy than monster-of-the-week.

7. jweale

jweale Junior Member

Buffy is some good TV. It seemed to be a bit spotty, with some melodramatic episodes just dragging listlessly to a close, but most of the time it hit with humor and an amazing level of realism for a show based on vampires (the social dynamics felt quite realistic as I watched it in college). As Xander was my favorite character, I like the Zeppo episode the most myself.

You may want to check out Angel too. Not as good as Buffy, but it has its moments (the guest appearance by the Willow character was pretty amusing), and I feel it had a much better ending.

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Man SMG was sooooo HOTTTT... :)

[​IMG]

I watched all the seasons

Now I've moved on to Enterprise..

9. breather

breather New Member

I agree, The Gentlemen and the Musical are the two best episodes. Another interesting one is where we can't tell which one is reality, Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Buffy the insane girl. These writers were of the same ilk of the Zena TV show (there are many similarities: multiple strong women in fantasy/adventure genre). They knew how to create a good story without taking themselves too seriously as evidenced with the episode where Zander is the central hero while the others are shown in farsical-over-dramatized side story. Although the Zena writers get originality points for being the first to turn an episode into a musical, I think the Buffy writers did a better job of it. Sadly, I don't think there's anything out there since that has the same level of humor and creativity as Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 3 2007, 11:17 PM) [snapback]490365[/snapback]</div>

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(breather @ Aug 6 2007, 06:19 PM) [snapback]491563[/snapback]</div>

I think the most impressive thing about the Musical is that Josh Whedon also wrote the lyrics and music. In my book that puts him on the same level as Mel Brooks at the very least.