1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Canadians Bought a US Prius Lately?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Smooth Operator, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Smooth Operator

I bought my 2004 Prius the first day they were available in Canada. We have about 260,000 km on it and have been very pleased with it.

We are thinking of buying a used Prius v, probably a 3 and are considering whether it would make more sense to buy in Canada or in the US. If I understand correctly, there are only minor modification issues that would need to be addressed. Possible modifications may include: daytime running lights, electronic immobilization system, metric odometer and speedometer labels. In my ignorance, those don't seem to be substantial hurdles.

Unlike some manufacturers, I understand that Toyota warranties are North American wide.

I know that when I bought our 2004 Prius, the prices in the US were substantially lower. It appears there has been some price harmonization since then, but that there may still be some financial benefit in importing, especially if one doesn't "cost" their time into the equation..

If I have this correct so far, I'm guessing that some Canadian here at PC has imported a US Prius recently and I am interested in reading about the experience.

Are their any US Toyota dealerships that are particularly helpful in this kind of purchase? I'm not averse to private sales, but I wonder whether they might be more difficult to arrange without being in person. I'm in the Vancouver area, but I wouldn't mind driving back from as far south and east as Arizona if it made financial sense.

2. scottmcphee

scottmcphee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It used to be that the CAD:USD exchange rate was a major factor in cross-border shopping. And things got real crazy there when CAD was much stronger than USD, and US prices were weirdly lower than in Canada. Call that an upsidedown market, or a perfect storm, we Canadians flocked to US in droves to drive home in shiny new cars, gladly throwing money at the border guards for all those fees and duty and whatever and still coming out ahead.

Mee too. That's when I popped down to buy a Mercedes.

Now, the exchange is basically on-par, and new car prices have gotten a lot more level across that border. Leaving warranty issues, and Canadianization (Dept of Transporation) concerns and headaches to deal with... Check on the prices of doing all these things, it might not add up.

If it's "close". Support your local business, even though it's a DEALER. They employ people who are Canadians, keep 'em around.

Buying used is a different thing. Fair market, wide open, lowest price, how ever far you're willing to drive, and the associated risks of not-seeing before offering the $. That's just however much energy you're willing to put in.

3. Smooth Operator

Thanks for the observations.

I have been looking at used prices for a 2012 Prius v and there doesn't seem to be the price differential that there was when I bought my 2004. I'm looking at ads for Toyota Certified 2012 base model Prius v cars with under 35,000 km in the C$23K - $25K range.

I wouldn't be put off by doing the paperwork to bring one from the US but the travel costs alone might significantly offset any minimal price differential. It may make as much sense to buy locally unless I see something noticeably better here at PriusChat or elsewhere.

4. pat767

pat767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just got back from the US ten days ago with our "new-used" Prius v Five. I consider that I saved a significant amount of cash.

The Canadian "equivalent" would be the Prius v with Touring package (minus the moonroof). It's sale price in Canada is roughly $33445 + $1695 destination charge + $100 air conditioner fee + roughly 15% in taxes, depending on the province. It comes down to approximately $40500.

A US version, the Prius v Five, has a price tag of $30295 (I got a hold of a copy of the window sticker of our vee). The destination charge is at least $795, depends on the state. Let's assume 5.75% (the US national average). Comes to $32877.

With the dollar nearly at par, that's approximately $7500 in savings.

Of course, that's directly comparing apples with apples.

I personally prefer comparing our barely used vee to a new one, since it had less than 10800 miles on it when we bought it. It still smells like new and to be honest, to me... it's a new car.

Let's see how well I did on saving.

Cost of our used car: $24500, no sales tax since I'm an out-of-state buyer. The wire transfer including fees came out to $25615.

Bus and flight from Canada: $140
    Hotels: $175
    Food: $100

Fuel used while driving home: 3 1/2 tanks : $110

Fees at the border (using USD/CAD daily exchange rate, the car's $24500 value equated $24800) : 5% goods/services tax = $1240 + air conditioner fee of $100.

Registrar of Imported Vehicle fee: $220.35

DRL (daytime running lights module) : $40 (self install : free)

Mechanical (provincial) installation: $90

Provincial licensing office charges the sales tax (9.975%) : $2473

Grand total: $30303

I'll let you come to your own conclusions. To me, I saved 10k. But if you don't really consider my car "new", then remove the appropriate depreciation and I think I still came out a winner.

JMD likes this.
  5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice savings

6. pat767

pat767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not to mention, I saved on accessories as well which I had delivered directly to the used car dealer where I bought the car.

Purchased:

4 x 16" Michelin x-ice xi3 winter tires for $135 each with tax and shipping included. (They retail at $180 + tax and shipping here in Canada)

Weathertech floor mats (the ones that are moulded to fit the car). Front, rear and cargo. They sell for $100 less on the US website than on the Canadian website and the shipping was only $18.

7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recall years ago driving to Canada to get stronger and better tasting beer to bring back to the States.

8. pat767

pat767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's being done, although there aren't much savings to be made...

Alcohol is super cheap in the US. I recall our cruise holiday last year. We stocked up on wine that went for $3.96 a bottle in Ft. Lauderdale. Same bottle back here costs $12

9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Different variety Canada had more micro breweries back in the day

Canadian gals also

10. scottmcphee

scottmcphee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No price comparison on that!

JMD likes this.
  11. pat767

pat767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here's the Webelectric module in action. I just finished installing it today. Took my time and I was 3 hours at it.

12. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Pat, this looks like an excellent solution - $40 is dirt cheap compared to the $300+ I was going to spend on buying and installing Euro Prius+ LED DRL/turn signals. Would you please provide specifics on how you installed the Webelectric kit or even post the installation instructions? The Webelectric website isn't very specific and, besides, says it is for only the 2004-2009 Prius. Did the installation instructions work for your Prius v or did you have to figure it out with a test light?

I would hope that the Webelectric DRL module would not interfere with the Scion IQ turn signal mirror covers I installed on our Prius v -- sure don't want the mirror turn signals acting like miniature DRL's!

Thanks!

13. pat767

pat767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The module works on all Prii, regardless of the year (or so was I told).

Installation was pretty straightforward. It follows the DRL-1 instructions; wire colors may be different depending on year/model. This thread has it all:

Review: Daytime Running Lights by WebElectric | PriusChat