1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Cause For Concern?

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by ClemsonSteve, Jan 9, 2021.

1. ClemsonSteve

ClemsonSteve Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a 2017 Prime Advanced with 43,000 miles. After fully charging, my estimated electric only range dropped to 21 miles with heat on at startup, or 23 miles with heater off at startup. This is right after I replaced the tires with Michelin Defender--and of course this is winter. In the summer, I normally averaged 31 miles of electric only range--and in the winter, 27. Wondering if it's the tires--and if so, will the range get back to normal? Tire pressure is at the recommended level--not over inflated.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's exactly what I see.

In fact, my latest 2 videos very closely match that... June & January:

ClemsonSteve likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks pretty normal considering the triple whammy you've got going with the new tires, running the heater, and just generally colder than normal temperatures. We have lows in the 30s this morning, so I would think it was considerably lower yesterday up where you are. I won't be driving till mid afternoon, so we'll be up around 58º or so by then. I'll take a hit, but not like you and for sure not like John.

ClemsonSteve likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Heat is the bigger killer of range (not cooling). This is why this is constantly brought up in Canada and northern states (but, unfortunately, dismissed by EVangelists rather than explaining the issues and coming up with resolutions or solutions to the problem).

The Prime does lose less range compared to vehicles without a heat pump and decreasing the temperature in the climate control can help with range.

(You can keep track of the usage by looking at the A/C Load Ratio in the Eco Diary section of the MID). If you're using a lot of heat, your % will be in the 20-30% range. If you're light on heat (e.g. 68°F or lower on the climate control and the outside temperature is near freezing), you'll be down to 15-20% load ratio.

For comparison, if it's spring/fall and you're driving with just the fan and no A/C running, the load ratio is 1-5%.

Boomer 2298 and ClemsonSteve like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    none at all

ClemsonSteve likes this.