1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any chance Gen4 will be built in US?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by cyclopathic, Nov 22, 2015.

1. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm definitely a fan of the made in Japan Toyotas. Seem more durable to me. No real proof but they have been great for me.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on the car.

Yes, my Japan-built Prius is far better than my last Michigan-built car (1984). But is the Prius built better than my Ohio- and Indiana-built cars? Sorry, I don't know, that Prius is only three years old so far, I probably won't know until it is at least 10 years old. Ask me again then.

The primary difference between my good and poor U.S.-built cars is who built them. The good ones weren't built by Detroit. Rumor has it that many of Detroit's products are significantly improved, but I just haven't been back to check.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If the 'other non-hybrid' was directed to me, it was built in the US. Except for the Prius and HHR, all the cars I've owned were US made.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've got a Honda Pilot in the family, think they're made in the 'States somewhere. Seems well built, no issues.

It's not so much the "where", I mean: that's just chauvinism. What matters is the people, attitude, quality control, wherever "where" is.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota Prius To Be Built In U.S. At Last, But Not Until 2015
    old news:

Android merge makes for a happy cyclo

The factory was built back in 2009. They just used up capacity after closing a factory in San Francisco.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/28/business/28nummi.html?_r=0

#26 cyclopathic, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
  7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you are far enough away, it could be considered San Francisco, it is actually 40 miles away on the south east end of San Fransisco bay in Fremont.

8. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    New York Times?

Cyclo-merge

Funny you mention this; Canada and Mexico took USA to WTO court for posting country of origin on pork. Sales of Mexican and Canadian pork declined sharply.

While you can label "be american/buy american" "patriotism" as chauvinism, it is a reality in many countries. Germany, France, etc. Japan btw is much worse than US they would not buy imported rice even if it is 3 times cheaper. They feel obligated to support local farmers.

But that aside, there were multiple rumors circulated back a few years, that new Prius will be built in US as it will have shared TNGA platform with Camry? so it can be rolled out from the same assembly line?

#28 cyclopathic, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
  9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok...let me take a quick walk down "my" memory lane. Started driving in 1974. For those of you old enough (likely quite a few) the cars made in the US were crap, but in comes Japanese IMPORTS, more reliable, cheaper and more economical when compared. The 1980's came, still US makes crap, 1990s, 2000s..all crap. I have owned Ford, Mercury, Chevy, Dodge, Triumph, VW, Honda and Toyota over those years and the only two manufactures I will buy "for reliable, efficient transportation" is Honda and Toyota. Of those two Manufactures my most reliable car ever has been the Prius...Made in Japan! I could care less what others have experienced because I pay my own bills...but American Car Manufactures suck...and the American work ethic compared to Japan sucks. Do I want them to make Prius in the US...Hell No!

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not just the recession, being stuck at 2% of total car sales in u.s. and declining, has something to do with it as well. when toyota was considering building them here, gas was looking to keep going up, and no one forecast otherwise.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have been a Prius owner barely 5 years. For me, that is too short to distinguish the reliability of Prius from my previous Japanese-label, American-built cars. We should review this again at 10 years.

Hell Yes!

When I bought that Accord, the demand was high enough that units from both Ohio and Japan were being sold here. How about doing the same with Prius? You buy one from Japan, I'll buy one built here.

#31 fuzzy1, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Trollbait likes this.
  12. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Americans are known as "fat and lazy" for a reason... It is true...

That said, I would rather have my Prius made in Japan.

iPhone ?

13. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well look at "transition vehicles", those that were built in Japan and then moved to the US. In all cases I am aware of, the Japanese build versions are better.

Take a look at the Leaf forums for Tennessee built 2013's and up vs. Japanese built 2011-2012. The build quality is better in the Japanese versions.

14. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think this is debatable. The most reliable manufacturer in US Hyundai builds Sonata and Elantra in US. Camry had been most reliable mid-size car for long time and all Camries built in and exported from US. Prius has been reliable so far but in 6 years of owning it had been back to dealer with recalls more than any car we owned.

#34 cyclopathic, Nov 23, 2015
  15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After 5 years and over 110,00 miles, my 2010 Prius has been the most reliable. 2 each TSBs and 2 each headlight bulbs...that's it! Now I know my being a career Mechanic means nothing with this crowd, but like I said...my experience...my money.

#35 frodoz737, Nov 23, 2015
    cyclopathic likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And other studies shows there is no difference between where the model was made.

17. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    is Nissan factory in Smyrna, TN, an UAW factory? Or it is b/c it is old?

Either way it looks like Nissan factory specific issue:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/auto/2006/01/09/Experts-cite-Mississippi-plant-as-problem-with-Nissan-reliability/stories/200601090161

Toyota had some quality degradation with cars built in GM plant in Fremont, and many years ago I had issues with WV built pickup. Not the built, the parts from 3rd party suppliers. But I think they tighten up incoming part QA since 90s.

18. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My experience with Japanese cars/parts has been somewhat negative until recently.

- Nissan Sentra rust under trunk lid and hood in 2 years.
    - Chrysler Minivan with Mitsubishi engine valve guide failure (common problem)
    - Honda Accord transmission failure at 72k (common problem) and 3 wheels bent!
    - Honda CRV brake cylinder (2) and main brake cylinder fail before 24k miles
    - Mazda '90s 626 bought two of them (Michigan built by UAW) and they were trouble free for over 10 years despite them being owned and non-maintained for many of those years by my kids both of whom neglect their cars.

All long gone now. Buy the reason I bought them was that their UP contemporaries were at least as bad in my experience.

Current cars are:

- '11 Toyota Avalon (made in KY of ~85% US parts) delivered with wheels misaligned, chewed through tires by 30k miles currently at 35 miles with new tires. No other issues. One speaker wiring recall.

- But '12 Prius v (made in Japan) 27k miles currently and map firmware update plus controller recall only issues.

I'm a car guy. I've owned cars since 1964. Two or three at a time since 1972. And, in my experience, the general quality has improved hugely over the last 10 years. I think how few cars you see around with obvious rust now as an example. Then I think back to Italian cars (2 Alfas), or German cars (3 VW and a BMW) or American cars of the 60s and 70s I owned (Ford, Chrysler, Pontiac, Chevy). Unreliable rust buckets were my experience. None were going to last 100k miles. But all cars now do.

My impressions from riding in, renting and talking to owners have been that American brand cars have upped their game significantly and I wouldn't hesitate to buy. Though you can't tell where the car was built by its brand any more.

Trollbait likes this.
  19. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wouldn't call Hyundai the most reliable manufacturer...

My Prius has seen a dealer exactly once, for the steering wheel recall and 2 others at one go including the pedal shaving which I declined. In the 135K miles it has seen, it has been driven very harshly. 90mph to 100mph speeds on the interstate, almost twice weekly runs through some of the steepest graded roads in the country from 7k feet above sea level to over 11k ft elevation, packed with tons (literally, thousands of pounds) of lumber, mulch, slate tile, paint, rocks, and other things. In all this time it has never needed any service, any repair, or anything other than routine maintenance. I have replaced the tires a couple times, the oil every year (yup, every year, this car is not babied) and did one ATF drain and refill. I replaced the plugs around 120K but the ones I took out looked almost new so I have kept them. My 12v battery finally died last month at the ripe old age of 10 years old. The car is parked outside in -40C blizzards and +35C summer days with sun.

Yay Toyota.