1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Chance they are related?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Barry Hines, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Barry Hines

Barry Hines New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I doubt that they are related but is there any chance that the Combination meter going out and my drivers side head light issues related?

After about 5 minutes of my headlights running the driver side one goes out. I have to quickly turn them off then on and I will get it back on. I have already replaced this light in the past just want to know if there is a more permanent fix for this.

2. Barry Hines

Barry Hines New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Any information will be very helpful

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, not related. Try getting new bulbs that are NOT from online retailers. For some reason they seem to be lower quality bulbs and go out more often.

Also when you handle the light bulb, you should not get any finger oils on them, or they will get hotter and wear out sooner.

Skibob likes this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And if you do, or have done, that and are still having a problem, then the ballasts need to be replaced. The OEM ballasts are in the base of the headlight enclosure and are susceptible to moisture. If you see any moisture in your headlights, then the ballasts are candidates for replacing. If you have moisture, you will need to find out where the moisture is getting in and seal that off, or replace the enclosure otherwise you're just chasing your tail.

I have read that if you're replacing the ballasts to also change the bulbs, even if you have recently replaced them as a bad ballast can damage the bulb to the point it becomes unreliable.

Another member has just gone through this, so hopefully they will chime in with their experience.

Another thing, check the connector, if it looks burnt, then replace that. Also another recent thread covers this.

#4 dolj, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019