1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any crazy SoCal Commuters?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Butaketsu, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Butaketsu

Butaketsu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys, possible Prius Prime owner here. I was wondering about commuting, I know hybrids shine in S&G traffic and cities, but i'm wondering something about specific distances... The Prime is rated for a high 50mpg which to me is more than double than what I currently get in my old 97 LS400.

I commute, and by commuting I am talking about up to 285 miles round trip a day. From Temecula/Canyon Lake to like North Hollywood/Glendale, Chula Vista, Indio, Irvine. I'm dead center in the middle of it all and this the region I work in. What I want to know is how much money do you spend per day (I use certain Costcos, Moreno Valley, Corona, San Marcos and Palm Desert as these are the cheapest) in fuel costs?

I have to track my business mileage, so I have spreadsheets of my fuel economy and mileage which i'll add to the bottom of my post so you guys can laugh at. I just want to know how you guys compare?

Thanks guys!

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you do get a Prius, get one with leather and lumbar support. You should easily double the mileage in a Prius vs your Lexus, without trying to hypermile and drive everyone around you crazy.

3. Butaketsu

Butaketsu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, lumbar support is a must... The lumbar support in my Lexus, while adjustable, isn't enough. I've found that Toyotas of today have amazing adjustability and a wider range of lumbar support. I know I can double my fuel economy easily... I'm just wondering the specifics on say... How far does half a tank or a full tank (I rarely let my tank go below half) get you on say a 200-350 mile trip travelling at 75mph or flow of traffic. $5? $10? $20? $30?

My father's Corolla S got me from Canyon Lake to LAX and back in just a quarter tank of fuel... I pushed the limits on it and had A/C on the entire time and I couldn't get the avg MPG to drop below 37... To add 10-20 on top of that in a Prius would be insane... AND with 87 pump gas??? I want the Prime so badly, although I was thinking of using it for Uber... But it turns out it's a 4 seater...

#3 Butaketsu, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  4. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The tank is 11.2 gal. and being conservative let's say 46 mpg. That works out to 515.2 miles (I'd play it safe and fill up at 450.)