1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Data on Tire Inflation Benefits?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Dog Face, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great info! I didn't know that. Thanks.

2. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  3. Dog Face

Dog Face New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is excellent. Thanks for posting this, friendlyjacek. This agrees with the rolling resistance test results posted earlier that showed diminishing returns around 40-45 PSI. Of course there will be different efficiency curves based on the type of tire and vehicle, but this further supports my emerging opinion that it's probably not helpful to inflate tires above this general level and that hypermilers are looking for efficiency in the wrong place.

The Transportation Research Board study that your guy quotes also says that:

"Rolling resistance, therefore, directly consumes a small
    portion (4 to 7 percent) of the total energy expended by the vehicle."

And as the report also points out, since tire pressure is only one of many variables that is correlated to rolling resistance and the PSI/Rolling Resistance curve is not linear, it seems that you're going to get very little MPG improvements by over-inflating tires.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The result of overinflation is not small if you assume anything over manufacture placard is overinflation and not just above tire max pressure listed on the tire.

Tire pressure is one of the easiest methods available to increase mpg. Most other modifications require a drastic change in driving techniques, which most dedicated hypermilers already do, or a lot of money. The only other method to significantly increase mpg is severe weight reduction but turning your car into swiss cheese is not what most people are interested in doing. Many of us have done this for racing purposes and I'll tell you from experience that this ruins the car and the driving experience.

Rolling resistance is indeed a major figure in the total mpg calculation. You are correct that tire pressure plays a minor role in the total mpg outcome but that is only once you hit the point of diminishing returns. Drastic underinflation not only drops mpg significantly but it is very unsafe. So choosing a good LRR tire and inflating them to near sidewall max pressure if the biggest bang for your buck.

5. Dog Face

Dog Face New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We agree. Just to be clear, by "over-inflation" I mean inflation above the sidewall max, which, as that survey I posted from cleanmpg.com showed, over 40% of users do (assuming their sidewall max is around 44 psi, which seems reasonable). Just to be clear, my tire pressure is close to the sidewall max. I'm 42 front and 40 rear, which by summer should reach around 44 front 42 rear.

I also agree with you that tire pressure is one of the few things we have control over. My tip would be for some of our overweight forum friends to lose a few pounds if they want to squeeze a higher mpg out of their Priuses (prii? what's the plural?).

1 person likes this.
  6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL agreed!

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mathematically speaking, diminishing returns happens everywhere along that curve. Any point of apparent flattening is in the eye of the beholder, and can be moved to any arbitrary location by changing the graph scaling.
    This is a value judgement, a compromise between competing factors, and you can speak only for yourself as to the value of the tradeoffs. Hardcore hypermilers place a high value on small incremental improvements compared to average drivers. As a mild hypermiler, I fall in between. Numerous others place little value on fuel economy and prefer driving higher performance muscle cars or fuel-guzzling monster SUVs or luxurious land yachts.

1 person likes this.
  8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1

It should be obvious to anyone with an engineering or science background that those values were put on the chart to illustrate the trend, not as actual data. The % savings and position of the corresponding data points on the vertical axis of the graph aren't even to scale.

9. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the chart is not perfect. Are you saying that invalidates the data?

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm saying it is only useful as a generic example. Do you have some source that says it is useful as anything more than that?

11. Dog Face

Dog Face New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is very legitimate criticism, and I agree that the graph is leaves a lot of questions unanswered, so I looked further and found that the Barry Tire Tech site referenced a study called "Tires and Passenger Fuel Economy" which based its finding on another study call "Power Consumption of Tires Related to How They Are Used" by W.K. Klamp. This is a very detailed study that clarifies what I'm trying to say. (I provide the link below.)

Klamp finds that rolling resistance is approximately proportional to the inverse of tire pressure raised to the .5th power. I made a quick and dirty excel chart to illustrate this. It is attached to this post since it doesn't show up when I copy and paste (Scale was determined w/ an auto function, and this is meant to be quick and dirty):

So hopefully, this provides a better illustration of the "diminishing returns". The author points out that there is another source of diminishing returns:

"There is a limit to how far you can increase inflation before other effects begin to strongly emerge. For example, if the pressure gets too high, substantial tread element distortion begins to take place. These will tend to increase rolling resistance and offset effects of lower deflection. Consequently, there is a limit to how much rolling resistance can be reduced by increasing inflation pressure" (P. 7 -my emphasis w/ bold type).

So the above chart I made doesn't account for these distortions, which would probably occur at different pressure levels depending on the tire.

Anyways, the link to the study is below and I think it's an excellent read for anyone interest in understanding how tires and rolling resistance work. And thanks for the good counter-points :):

http://www.edccorp.com/library/TechRefPdfs/EDC-1038.pdf

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  12. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Strong work!
    It's refreshing to see empiric evidence rather than worthless opinions.

1 person likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In a quick skim of this workshop publication from 1977, I see that for the truck tires illustrated on page 108**, nominal pressure 80 psi, the minimum rolling resistance (peak rolling efficiency) occurs over the range of 100 to 160 psi, depending on the parameter of each particular line.

For the passenger car tires illustrated on pages 130 and 153, the graphs stop at 50 and 64 psi, respectively, without reaching a limiting pressure of minimum rolling resistance.

**(page numbers are Acrobat file page number, not article's original page number.)

14. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What is correct pressure? My Australian handbook says 36/35. I believe the US handbook is different and the British different again. My tyre dealer says 34 all round for the Michie XM2s. I run at 40/40 get even wear and better handling. I don't care as much for MPG because without strict controls all opinions are subjective and even arbitrary. I did notice what seemed to be an increase in L/100ks when I first installed the new Mitchies but I seem to be back to my average of 4.8l/100ks.

15. Dog Face

Dog Face New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If your point is that it is unclear at what PSI level these other effects strongly emerge to increase rolling resistance and offset the benefits of increased pressure, I agree. As you point out, this is a fairly old study. Tire materials may have changed. Also, tire design and type would play a big role (e.g. passenger versus truck tires). What I took away from the study is:

1. As a general rule of thumb, 1/PSI ^0.5 describes the inverse relationship between rolling resistance and pressure. As you are raising to the .5th power, everywhere along the spectrum you experience diminishing returns (see my graph). At what point you think the gains are just not worth it anymore is up to you. It is a cost/benefit analysis. But if you were to explore this further, you would have to weigh the marginal benefits of increased tire pressure to the marginal costs. These costs have been discussed a bit here, but I don't think we found anything conclusive, except diminished comfort and increased noise. The jury is still out on safety issues.

2. At some point, as the author points out, increasing pressure produces additional diminishing returns by aggravating other variables. I don't know when this occurs. But I would guess that it occurs only after inflating beyond the sidewall max. by how much, I don't know. Intuitively, tire manufacturers design each tire with a recommended pressure level, and at some point, when you inflate beyond that level, the tire no longer operates as it was meant to.

Since I don't know at what point these "aggrivating variables" start to have a significant impact, I'm basically going off the 1/PSI ^0.5 rule of thumb.

If you know of a more up-to-day study, let me know.

16. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Over the last two years, I've been experimenting with overinflating Yokohama Avid S33d ( 35/33 psi to 40/38 psi to 44/42psi to 50/48 psi) that came with my 2010 Prius III. There are other equally as important factors other than a tire's rolling resistance that affect the Prius' ability to get very high MPG. As I increased the Prius tire pressure over max sidewall pressure setting of 44psi on my Yokohama Avid S33d - the fuel efficiency gains were incremental and required me to work harder to get more MPGs. Like all things I had to know how and when to take advantage of the lower rolling resistance for it to translate to higher MPGs. Sofar I'm getting +60 mpg over +20000 miles but I'm hypermiling to get there. Certain third party LLR tires have a max sidewall of 50 psi and can be over inflated safely up to 60psi. The most signficant factor to getting high MPGs with LLR tires is the road you are driving on -- you need a dry smooth road. When the county was doing road construction on my commuting route they made the normally smooth road surface uneven and rough with continous swirling grooves on the surface. It was like all driving over rumble strips for two miles for about a month or so. My MPG dropped by about 8 mpg on that 2 mile stretch of road while it was rough and uneven despite going slower and trying every hypermiling trick I knew. The only solution to getting better MPG was to change my route to avoid county road construction. When the county finally resurfaced that same 2 mile stretch of road back to a smooth asphalt surface my fuel efficiency jump back up 8 mpg and my overall MPG improved the following month. When I have to drive in rain/ice/snow then my MPG also drops despite overinflationing them higher (44/42psi to 50/48 psi) but when the roads are dry again my MPG shoots back up again. MPG returns are situational. Last Friday morning, I went in to the dealership for an oil change. After the oil change, I drove 12 miles from the dealership to my job. The route I selected from the dealership to work had a max speed of about 35mph over series of hilly roads with an overall decrease in elevation -- so basically it was a downhill race. The road was dry and smooth. The traffic was light. Using a combination of hypermiling techniques DWB, DWL, Rabbit Timing, Stealth warp mode, and a pre-warmed up engine, the ScangaugeII calculated I was able to get about 150 mpg for that 12 mile trip. However, the ScangaugeII calculated I got about 15 mpg on the Prius that previous night when I drove from a cold start a 1 mile trip to the local grocery store. It is not a simple answer but a simple relationship. Smooth roads make it easier to get better fuel efficiency.

Walter Lee
    aka HyperDrive1 on cleanmpg.com
    2010 Toyota Prius III Blue Ribbon/Dk grey, oem floormats
    Yokohama Avid S33d (50 psi front/48 psi rear)
    100% grill blocking
    ScanguageII
    odometer +20158 miles/ 60.9 mpg

1 person likes this.
  17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that last post, Walter. I have the Yokohama AVID S33D as well and the car feels like it doesn't want to roll well even when gliding. I considered trading them in for a set of Energy Saver A/S but I'd like to give the stock tires a chance and your results give me hope. I can't help but think the Energy Savers would give me a 3mpg boost. What do you think?

18. Dog Face

Dog Face New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One thing to keep in mind is that as you break your tires in and the treads get a little thinner, they'll become more efficient. My AVID S33Ds are brand new, so I'm also hoping they'll improve.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know but after they wear down their value will drop significantly so I likely wouldn't receive any real credit for them and selling them would be harder. I just dislike the thought of starting off with a possible 3mpg deficit and having to stomach that for 30k-40k miles until it is time to replace them. If I could sell/trade the AVIDs for a set of Energy Savers and spend less than $150 I would come out well ahead in the long run and enjoy higher mpg. :)

20. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We ran our stock Yokohama S33Ds for nearly 43,000 miles with elevated pressures. Most of those miles were clocked at 40F / 38R because that seemed to provide a good balance between fuel economy, handling, and ride comfort. At the end of all those miles, there were no unusual signs of wear to indicate that the tires had been overinflated.

Keep in mind that there is no "perfect" inflation pressure. The recommendations that came with your vehicle are a compromise between economy, handling, ride comfort, and safety. Many of us here on PriusChat.com are running with elevated inflation pressures and have lived to tell the tale.