1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any difference running super?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Boatycall, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Boatycall

Boatycall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I figured since there was such a huge cost difference (I needed 8 gallons, and it was $0.20 per gal more), I would ask if my massive investment of $1.60 would do me any good.

Anyone see any difference in mpg running 93 octane super?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tests have been done and there was no benefit unless climbing steep hills at speed.

Super Unleaded resists ignition more than Regular Unleaded so it is used in high performance applications. It's not a "more powerful fuel" and it is not any better for your car. Stick with 87 octane. You will not benefit from Super. :)

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Save your money and stick with the 87 octane. This is a economy car and not a high performance car.

Rainking likes this.
  4. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I wasn't thinking of going all the way up to 91 or 93, but I was wondering if the 89 might be better than the 87 during these colder months.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It will make your car lighter by $1.20, so there will be a very minor MPG improvement if you pay cash.

Other than that, the car is designed for 87 Octane gas in the US. (85 if above 4500 feet)

Other countries calculate Octane ratings differently.
    Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good deal. Since I always pay by card, it wouldn't lighten my cash load anyway. ;-)

7. rwn

rwn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There's a station in town that sells non ethanol premium, which might make more of a MPG difference, since the other petrol grades are blended with 5 or 10 percent ethanol. (I think anyway) I haven't tried it. but I wish I could get non-ethanol 87.

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Some folks DO find a difference between E0 pure gas and E10 blended gas, but that has nothing to do with Octane Rating. It also usually comes out a wash financially to buy premium to get E0. (in theory, E10 has 3% less energy than E0)

9. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've looked and looked at the Shell pumps here in Vegas, and I can't find anything on them that seems to indicate an ethanol rating. Not sure what to conclude from that...

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    "Gas pump labeling when ethanol is added is NOT required in the following states: California, District of Columbia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Ohio."

11. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The problem with using non -ethanol 87 octane gasoline it usually is quite a bit more
    expensive than 10% Ethanol 87 Octane gas.

I know in Longview Washington non ethanol 87 octane gasoline is $3.659 / gallon and
    regular gas with 10% Ethanol is about $3.209 per gallon.

Even if you get 3-4 mpg it will cost you more per mile than the ethanol blended gas.

12. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, shoot, Jimbo! How the heck am I supposed to know? Actually, since I pretty much only gas up at two different locations, and I know the staff very well at one of those, I suppose I could ask... not sure the clerks would know, but maybe if I could catch the manager when he's in.

13. SuperABM

SuperABM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    So are you saying higher octane is better when going up a mountain?

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Octane is a measure of resistance to detonation under load.
    Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Sustained full load is where detonation is most likely to occur, so yes. Higher octane is better when going up a mountain with full throttle at a low elevation, you will accelerate slightly faster. You will not get better gas mileage according to the same tests of a Gen 1 Prius reported by Bob Wilson, as I recall.

15. SuperABM

SuperABM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    If you accelerate faster in a shorter amount of time wouldn't that mean that you save on gas or get better mpg? I'm confused lol

16. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Perhaps, but that does not mean he can measure it. Mr Wilson lives in Alabama, it not like he has long up hills available.

By comparison, you can get valid acceleration numbers in a 1/4 mile.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a gulf between the proliferation of higher octane pumps and the cars actually needing the stuff.

Pump Fiction - Marketplace

18. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Our formulations are a little different down here (and for the record, I'd never in my life heard of "winter blend" before coming to PriusChat o_O ) and our Ethanol situation is slightly messy.

As per Fuel Type - Ethanol's effect on MPG | Page 2 | PriusChat our non-Ethanol standards are 91 RON / 81 MON (meaning 86 in US numbers) for "Regular Unleaded" and 95 RON / 85 MON (meaning 90) for "Premium Unleaded". There is also a higher grade Premium Unleaded at 98 RON.

Regular Unleaded with no Ethanol is harder to find these days as there are limits on how much the industry can sell, but a couple of my local service stations have it. I used this exclusively for my first 3400 km (2100 miles).

As it happens, I get fuel discount vouchers from my supermarket, but none of the service stations where I can use them have E0 any more. I noticed, however, that if I used them on Premium Unleaded, I would end up with a price similar to what I was paying for Regular Unleaded at my locals. So I decided to switch to Premium and see how it went. I've only driven another 850 miles since then so it is still early days, but my observation so far is that it hasn't made a discernable difference - it appears the various other factors have much greater impact on mileage, so I haven't detected any trend amongst the noise.

Ultimately my challenge is my short commute - the ratio of those to other drives is what comes out in my Fuelly figures. I managed to set a new record of 4.4 l/100km (53.5 mpg) on the way in today... but then on the way home which is downhill I had a bad warm-up run and it killed my mileage. Always the way... I need my weekend drives!

The regular/premium thing just seems to not enter into it.

JimboPalmer likes this.
  19. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Premium is useful in high compression engines because it resists the detonation a lower octane fuel might cause. The C does not have an engine in which it might be useful. It is a waste of money in our C's.

For people so enthralled by the lure of saving fuel, thus fuel costs, this is not something to be of question.

Embrace the 87 and eschew the 91 or 93. And stay away from ethanol it you have the chance.

20. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    This is a bit of a thing for us... as Regular Unleaded RON91 becomes hard to find without Ethanol, moving to Premium RON95 is a way of keeping away from it (which is one reason why I don't use my supermarket dockets to buy the E10 stuff).