1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any difference running super?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Boatycall, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My condolences, Rob. I live in a farm state that, fortunately, hasn't drank ALL the ethanol kool-aid yet.

Anything subsidized is getting the twice-over. If we're lucky ethanol won't survive. But, in 20-30 years I won't care any more.

2. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Since Nevada does not require gas stations to post whether or not ethanol is mixed with the gas... does that mean the only way I can be certain I am NOT getting ethanol is to either ask the station manager or fill up with premium? Am I understanding correctly that the higher octanes do not contain ethanol? Not that I plan to switch fuel grades, but in case it ever comes up in conversation I don't want to spread misinformation.

3. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I managed to find three gas stations w/out ethanol in NV. HERE.

Might find something around HERE.

Or, finish looking through THESE 3 million returns...

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    To summarize:

In certain situations going full throttle uphill at low altitude, higher octane may give more power but not better MPG.

In some situations gasoline without ethanol may give better MPG, but not enough to drive out of your way to find it.

In some localities Premium is ethanol free where Regular is not, but the cost difference is greater than the MPG difference.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the many benefits to having a G3 as a company car is that I don't buy fuel for it....so I can experiment with different fuel blends and pretty much get gas wherever and whenever I want.
    I don't drive a set route, so it's really REALLY hard for me to do a lab quality experiment with E0-versus-E10 however (comma!) I can report that I've run tanks of E0 and E10 consecutively several times and I haven't seen very much of a difference at all.
    Since I don't drive in a lab, and since I can't see diff out here in the real world despite several attempts to do so I'm presuming that there is no real difference between E0 and E10, especially when you consider the price difference between the two.
    Interestingly enough....PT Barnum is still right about suckers being born every minute. Some of the seedier gas stations in my area have large signs that loudly proclaim that they sell "REAL GAS" (at a real premium.)
    In the motorcycle community especially there is a lot of FUD about alky-haul in gas.
    I remember fueling my V-Rod one time and a bearded, tattoo-festooned bandana wearer came up to me and said:
    "Hey man! That S#!t will rust the hell out of your gas tank!"
    I smiled at him and reached down and thunked my plastic fuel tank and said:
    "I don't think so... :) "
    He muttered something about my bike and walked off.

Like I said.
    Lots of FUD.

I haven't tried a tank of 89 or higher octane gas because I already know that there's no effect on fuel efficiency for doing so....especially in an area that's not topographically diverse. Oil companies make enough selling you 87. If your motor isn't complaining about it by knocking or pinging????
    Stick with 87.

6. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I went back/forth w/ethanol and nonethanol in my Z28 for a couple of years. I can tell the difference in mileage between them.

The ethanol was cheaper but I didn't get as good of mpgs. I got better mpgs with premium but I paid more for it.

I put regular nonethanol in it now. I don't drive in a fashion that would require premium, and I don't want ethanol in my cars. There are plenty of reasons to not use it, not including gum/rust/rot.

I would bet (my own money) that any...ANY...better mpgs figured in a C due to the purported use of premium fuel would be well within the background noise of normal driving. Indistinguishable. Even more difficult to figure going up and down a mountain. Plus, I think any perceived extra power would be equally difficult to prove beyond the placebo effect.

I think it would be easier to figure the total weight of makeup use on a teenage daughter from ages 12 through 18.

7. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the link, Mr. Incredible. I'm in Vegas, so those first stations are no help to me. If I find myself bored enough, I might flip through the 3 million other returns... LOL

8. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm... I think PureGas has it right, just those three stations reported. Eh. I'll stick with my Shell and Chevron 87 octane. Thanks!

9. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    One is always glad to be of service.

RocMills likes this.