1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any differences between 2018 model and 2017?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by knightofdight, Feb 8, 2018.

1. knightofdight

knightofdight New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed today that one of my local Toyota dealerships has a couple 2018-model Prius Primes listed in-stock on their website... But nowhere on the internet, including Toyota's own website, can I find any information that pertains directly to the 2018 Prius Prime.

Were there any changes at all from the 2017 version? Which would I be better off looking at when I go to buy one?

2. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Two 2018 models "in transit" to Beeman's in Nashville. From the VIN's I would say they are 2018's but when they show up? No known changes so far. In the VIN J=2018 H=2017. Two 2018 for Knoxville too.

#2 JamesBurke, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With a car as prefect as the Prime how could there be any upgrades?

deadmoney33 likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Tideland Prius mentioned some differences on the Canadian 2018. I do not remember what they were though.

5. PIPlook

PIPlook Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It's odd. Dealers here in the Northwest have weaker incentives compared to out east. They have yet to move the 2017 stock they have. But somehow they are getting 2018s onto their lot. I've only ever seen one in the wild ever. Heck some even still have regular 2017 Prii on the lots even with $2.5k off plus over $500 dealer discounts.

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The owner’s manuals are available on toyota.com, even if the sales brochure hasn’t yet been posted.
    In the December edition of Toyota’s New Car Features book for the Prius Prime, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com, the Major Difference section for 2018 lists only two:
    • “The rear seat belt warning has been added” to models for Canada, and
    • “Change the PCS [Pre-Collision System] warning light indication at the system stop due to the malfunction” for all models.
    The Collision Repair Manual for the 2018 Prius Prime also shows the structural differences from 2017 that I mentioned previously for the 2018 Prius, though the practical importance of this isn’t clear.

There is also a newer version of the Entune radio head unit software (T-SB-0337-17) for 2018 models.

There are probably other differences, of course. As Toyota writes in the Owner’s Manual, “Because of the Toyota policy of continual product improvement, we reserve the right to make changes at any time without notice.”
    In general, a newer vehicle (that is, one with a later production date, even within the same model year) is likely to be better than an older one, since the manufacturer had more of a chance to have made changes to fix problems identified from warranty claims data and field technical reports. I wouldn’t let this be too much of a consideration, though; price, choice of color and trim level, and dealer attitude are also important.

Trollbait, Mark57 and Tideland Prius like this.
  7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    In Canada, a Prius may depreciate a few thousand per year. Most dealers will drop the price of last years model only around $1000, with a smile. ;) I'd go with the newest when buying new.

The Prime is available in Canada only with a black interior, according to the images on the Toyota.ca website. But you'll find the Canadian Prius is -slightly- different than the American one. Different options in different "packages".

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. albus

albus New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As for the first bullet, on a US Prime Advanced I do have a visual and audible warning for the rear seat belts, like when someone releases its seat belt when the car is still in motion. Maybe it refers to something else?

9. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    WRONG

Battery sucks - less than 30 miles on a charge
    WORSE
    no album art.

Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the hatch for a lower battery deck, and maybe they've added the fifth seat.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you a carb state?

12. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I think they changed only the Canadian model, which didn’t have the warning before.

albus likes this.
  13. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I noticed you can now build a 2018 prime on Toyota's web site. Didn't notice any differences from 2017 other than the all-weather mat accessory was $60 more expensive and several color choices were missing from the 2018. Did not do an extensive comparison

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Premium is $100 more too? (same price for Plus and Advanced)

15. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't see that being the case on Toyota's build & Price website...Both 2017 and 2018 show the Premium at $28,800 MSRP
    Customize Your Own Car, Truck, SUV or Hybrid

I found several differences in accessory prices
    2017->2018
    All weather package 248 -> 308
    Carpet Mat 95 -> 94
    Four Season package 373 -> 433
    Accessory package 299 -> 303
    Rear Bumper Applique 75 -> 69

Mostly minor except they really want to charge $60 more for the all weather floor mats when they are part of either the all-weather package or four-season package...BUT, just the all-weather mats remained $149 so you can now buy the pieces for less than the package...

#15 ct89, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  16. Comparing 2017 brochure to 2018 brochure:
    1. Gas tank capacity is reported as 11.4 gallons instead of 11.3 gallons. But all of the mpg and cargo specs, car dimensions, and battery specs are exactly the same, so I'm not sure why they changed the tank size.
    2. No changes to any of the standard "S" features on any of the trims.
    3. The 2018 brochure removes the reference to "auto level control" concerning the Quad LEDs. What's up with that?
    4. Clarification in the brochure on double wishbone suspension being "multi-link."
    5. Pics on pages 1 and 5 were switched. Pics concerning TSS updated. Meh.
    Essentially it's the same car.

17. Marinna

Marinna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I consider their design philosophy is to maintain the same level of MPG while running in gas. So considering that they manage to drop enough weight for the additional 8KWH battery is a pretty good work.

If you expect the hybrid car working more like a EV, there are definitely better options elsewhere (i.e. Volt) But don't expect your gas mileage maintain on the same level. One funny thing is Prius Prime is really gas efficient that I found in many situation running gas is not more expensive than using electricity. For example if you compare this car to Tesla Model X than the CO2 emission it causes to produce electricity to power Tesla Model X for 1 mile is only slightly better than Prius in gas mode, let alone the price you have to pay to operate the car.

farmecologist likes this.
  18. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For what it's worth. When I was at my local dealership to have my tires rotated. They had two Prius Prime vehicles in the showroom floor. I think both were 2017 models. I do not think much has changed between the '17 and '18 models.

19. trueaspects

trueaspects Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Any chance that the 2018 Prime will include the Safety Plus Package for free like the regular 2018 Prius Line? Safety Plus Package being the blind spot monitor and parking assist.

20. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You can check out all the features of each level in the eBrochure...
    BSM and IPA are still features of the advanced model only. (And well worth it I might add)

Attached Files: