1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any differences between 2018 model and 2017?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by knightofdight, Feb 8, 2018.

1. trueaspects

trueaspects Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It also states in the 2018 Regular Prius eBrochure that BSM and IPA are not part of it, yet most Prius versions come with it free.

2. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's the Prius hatchback eBrochure. (too large to post)
    https://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/2018/prius_ebrochure.pdf

BSM is only standard on the Four or Four Touring but is also part of the Safety Plus Package.
    IPA is only sold as part of a Safety Plus package.

Since these Safety Plus packages are essentially free (included on the Two/Three/Four/Touring models at no charge), I expect it will be the rare to see one of those trim levels without it (if ever).

Now these packages are not available on the One or Two Eco trim levels but I don't know how many of those will be built. I seem to recall in the past there were very few Prius at the lowest trim level other than maybe fleet cars.

The Prime doesn't seem to have the concept of packages. There are just the three trim levels and port installed options.

3. followingalex

followingalex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The main difference will come in with Intune app support, which Toyota claims all 2018 models will get 3.0 features..
    In my opinion the lack of software updates & investments in this department will be the beginning of the end for the company. Of course they won't go out of business, it's Toyota. But they will need to be more competitive to keep customers coming back.
    The same car, should get the new (not so new, since it was out in 2017) software.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think the 2018 Prime has Entune 3.0, and Toyota has made no such claim that all 2018 models will get Entune 3.0. You assume it does only because the 2018 Camry and 2018 Sienna have it. But as far as I know, they're the only two that have it.

Mark57 likes this.
  5. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Not true, only the 2018 Camry and Sienna will have Entune 3.0. Also, Entune 3.0 requires different hardware and therefore there will be no version 2 to version 3 updates on existing version 2 vehicles.

6. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Entune 2.0 has an operating system underneath from a company called QNX (now part of Blackberry), which also provides the OS for lots of other companies such as Ford and BMW.

Entune 3.0 (used on Camary 2018) has an open-source operating system underneath called AGL, Automotive Grade Linux (derived from Samsung's Tizen OS). So it is unlikely Entune 3.0 will show up on any car that now has Entune 2.0.

That's a good thing, because initial reports indicate that users don't like Entune 3.0. (I'm a new user here, so I can't provide a link. But just do a Google search for 'digital trends entunes 3.0').