1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any fluid change - the reason why?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by scott.in.colorado, Feb 21, 2013.

1. scott.in.colorado

scott.in.colorado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm excellent about changing my oil - I get it, oil gets dirty and loses some viscosity (thickness) causing it to not lubricate as well. I am changing my transaxle AFT soon, yes I will use the Toyota WS ATF - but I am changing it because many think it's the right thing to do (and I can draw a parallel to changing the oil) - but if the original thickness of a fluid changes over time, and the lubricating qualities become in question (over time), why would there be so much discussion about "when, and IF, I should change the fluids". Sure, it can be a function of how you drive, and the stress you put on the motor, gears, brakes, … but this can be estimated within bounds and guidelines given (like the oil change) for changing the other fluids. I know many that never change the brake fluid – I know many that never change the transmission oil, that never flush a radiator, and there are some in this forum that agree with this. Does someone KNOW if we should change the fluids due to a lack of lubrication quality and viscosity change?

I personally know of a person who did not change their brake fluid and after 120K miles or so, one day the car did not stop and he ran into someone - thankfully it was a minor accident. The service shop told him the brake fluid was like water and it had never been changed. As it's a closed system, I'd think even 'water' would push on the brakes and activate them, but the 'holding power' may not be there.

So, is the reason we change fluids in cars is because the fluid viscosity changes over time?

If this is true, there should be no discussion about changing fluids – it should just be done – at some interval – and it’s up to us to determine what interval that is, how hard we drive the car, how many miles before any fluid change is necessary. We have owner’s manuals that give us guidelines in these areas.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That might be one of the reasons. Another reason might be the accumulation of debris or water in the fluid. There may be no more reason than "I heard it's a good idea to replace this fluid at XX,000 miles". But in the end, it's all good for the car.

If you really want to know what's happening with your car, you can send your fluids out for chemical analysis. It's like taking a blood sample to the lab, you might have some insights as to what disease(s) your engine might be developing.

Most folks are happy without a discussion on changing fluids, just give 'em an interval and they're happy. Others like to go on long winded debates of what weight(s) of oil to use in which climate(s), for which range of RPMs at what period of time, etc. I'm not one of those folk. At least, not yet.

For me, it's simple math. Compare the price of regular fluid changes to the price of component failure / accident, it's a no-brainer. I think of it as buying insurance.

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good points maestro.

Another consideration may be that ATF is a hydraulic fluid and manufacturers of hydraulic fluid do put shelf life(s) on their fluid. It is my assumption that viscosity does break down over time and that's the reason for the shelf life.

4. scott.in.colorado

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good points. There are 2 scenarios here, 1) we read about the unsuspecting person going to the dealer and getting 'taken' for much more than is necessary. My sister is typically this person.. "you should have this done, that done", she does not know, so she does what’s recommended.. costing her $500+ each time. The last time at the Dealer, recently, they got her for a new 12V battery (19K miles on the car; $300!!! ) and told her she needed new tires (which thankfully she did not buy into - and she'd checking with the manufacturer. The 2nd scenario is that you have some idea of what you are doing and you either do it yourself, or at least take it to a 3rd party shop that does it for much less than the dealer. In both cases, it's not known if the fluids should be changed, but it's perhaps its done due to mileage, or general concern, or as you say, buying insurance. The problem I have with this is that there are many cars running today that have not had a tranny flush/ fluid change, brake fluid change, radiator flush.. and the cars are doing great. I'd bet more like this than not. If you believe that (and you don't have to) - are the fluid changes really necessary? Is the WS ATF really good for the live of the car, and only to be inspected at 100K+ miles as the manual states? Heck, I don't know. Just trying to figure this stuff out. (Oh, I am planning to change my Prius ATF soon - but I really question if I need this done - as the manual indicates "no".. or I have been convinced by forums like this one, that I should do it)

5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Different fluids degrade in different ways. The sort of person who hangs around forums like this is likely to change things as a matter of principle and risk management, seeing little downside and possible benefits.
    Brake fluid is a glycol fluid that doesn't change much in viscosity over time but does absorb moisture. In extreme cases this results in brake system corrosion and a lower boiling temperature.
    I'm generally inclined to trust the OEM's maintenance intervals.
    I believe duty cycle plays a part though. I seldom exceed 70 mph on a long trip. I live in an area of mild weather. I live in a relatively flat area, so my car will seldom climb extended steep grades at high temperatures. And so on.
    I, by habit, hate to waste stuff, so I haven't much patience with 3,000 mile motor oil or 10,000 mile transmission fluid intervals.
    Face it, if you do everything Toyota wants done when they want it you'll be doing better than the majority of the customer base.

6. scott.in.colorado

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great input. Thanks. I appreciate the discussion on brake fluids.