1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any get a slight tapping noise from the front of car while braking at low speeds?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NguyenCB7, Jul 1, 2017.

1. NguyenCB7

NguyenCB7 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any get a slight tapping noise from the front of car while braking at low speeds? I think it's coming from the driver side. The best way I can describe it is, it sound like a someone trying to tighten a bolt and it already tight... I hope that helps hahahaha.. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think what you're talking about is the inverter. This happens when braking at low speeds or pressing the brake pedal when stopped. It's a normal sound.

RCO likes this.
  3. sillymike

sillymike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm starting to hear this exact noise on my 2017 Prius 4 touring when I go to the dealership for my next service I'm going to have them check it out but I definitely hear clicking noises coming from the left front brake while driving with the engine off in ev mode going about 5 to 10 miles an hour and slowly pressing the brake.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Scott Kirschner

Scott Kirschner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes I had to deal with that one drivers side front. Brought the car to the dealer twice before they started taking it serious. They put a “chassis scope” on the car so they could record the sound. They really could hear it after that and they made a recording. They even sent me a copy of the recording. After some back and forth with Toyota main office they sent a regional engineer to the dealer to supervise the removal of the drive train, tire, brakes etc. as a single unit to send back to the other engineers so they could evaluate it. I was told that removing everything from the car like that was a real pain but necessary. That was last summer and guess what, even with all new parts the sound has started coming back again.

5. Scott Kirschner

Scott Kirschner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At first they tried to tell me it was a normal sound but believe me it is not. An individual at the dealer told me that this was becoming a big deal. If you are having the same problem keep pushing because it seems to me like a engineering defect. If you are having this problem do yourself a favor and make the appointment to have it looked at. If they come out with a recall everyone will be covered but if they only issue a technical service bulletin, and trust me I had this happen to me, they only cover the repair for those people who reported a problem.

RCO likes this.