1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any guesses on price?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by QualityMart, Jan 12, 2011.

1. QualityMart

QualityMart Junior Member

I know they didn't announce any pricing info on the v, but any savvy posters out there care to make an educated guess? Do wagons typically have an x% premium over their corresponding sedan versions? I'm really interested in this car but feel like I have no idea where the price is going to fall. I also wonder if bargaining power is going to be slim to none given the possibility for very high consumer demand. Could this be the return of long multi-month waiting lists for a Prius?

2. deminmartin10

deminmartin10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Guess the price of random stuff! I made most of this game but a friend with the alias, "tommac," also did additional graphics for the game.
    -------------
    Demin Martin

3. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think a base Prius V should go for about the same as a base Prius. I honestly wouldn't pay more for a Prius V because it gets lower mileage, and the 60% added cargo room is only because they lifted the rear roof line. It's not more powerful either, and it's slower.

4. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MSRP- $28,650

Would be my guess....

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not knowing how it's packaged, it's a tough call. If I had to guess, I'd say loaded it's probably going to tip $34k before port-installed options.

Again, w/o knowing how its based packaged, I'd venture to guess that with 16" alloy wheels, larger size and standard features like backup cameras and screens, $25,400 could be the starting price point (about $2.8k premium).

6. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the Prius V have an option of a third row of seats?
    Otherwise I don't see that many people who need the extra room but may be wrong here.

7. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Back in the mid 90's when you could still get station wagon versions of sedans - like the Accord, Camry, Corolla, Volvo 850, etc - the premium used to be $500 - $1,000 over the price of an equivalent sedan so I'll go with the high end of that - $1,000 more than an equally equipped Prius. I think that with a 3rd row they could have gotten a bigger premium. I think something in the $1k range would be small enough in the overall scheme of things that many families would bite just to get a bit more room.

8. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    no third row seat option that i've heard of yet. My guess is 2K over the 3rd gen prius pricing.

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is also my sense. As another has said and I've said before due to this things lethargy and worse mileage it would be approximately worth the same to me as a Prius. Its cargo area is of some value but the vast majority of our miles are done with an empty trunk or one containing a few bags of groceries, so the rest of the time its slowness and poor MPG would be an issue. I would not pay more for it.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since I don't really think there is a HUGE market of families that have been holding off on a hybrid purchase until a hybrid wagon/van appeared...and I think the MPG in comparison to the standard Prius numbers will underwhelm...even if it is unfair that it does...I think Toyota must price it very competively not only in comparison to Prius, but any and all other family "van/wagon" products available.

A family is going to go looking, and unless a Hybrid is absolutely what they want...and they will not accept anything else...then they are going to be comparing against a lot of products available that will be cheaper, similar and often offer better ammenities and size.

When I looked at Prius? I got a LOT of Toyota salesmen that were intimidated with the hybrid technology and tried to steer me to Matrix or even Yaris....

I'm afraid this could happen on Toyota Lots....if you are a salesman are you going to try to sell a vehicle you might even be intimidated by..with a small profit margin...or are you going to recommend a Matrix or a Sienna?

I absolutely could be totally wrong....but there is a lot of competion in this segment. I think Toyota MUST be very competitive with price...or it simply wont sell.

I'd want to see it, feel it in person. BUT I'm going to say $28,000 range give or take a grand in either direction...otherwise I just don't think it attracts a big enough audience.

Caveat however, I think the appeal of a family sized vehicle, hybrid that get's 40mpg...could REALLY increase if gas prices break the $4.00 a gallon range. A lot of people are going to start looking at how to economically keep hauling the soccer team around if that happens...

At that point, the Prius \/...becomes a much more attractive product.

11. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I concur w TEM....

12. vitalium

vitalium New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    q

13. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe not. The Toyota website now says early 2012 for both the Prius c and Prius PHV.

14. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah me too. Then they started the arguments about the how long it would take to recover the cost of the Prius. Since I've never used that argument for any car I've ever purchased, I figured out it really was an argument made by others to justify their purchases when they didn't get 48 to 50 mpg.

That and I really think this will be used by foursomes and their golf bags. Maybe. :)

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing the Prius v will start, base price, in the $25k range. Tough for it to start much higher since a Mazda 5 starts at $19,195

Look at basic shape of 2012 Mazda 5 ... you're pretty much looking at Prius v, shapewise.

16. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mazda5 auto tranny starts at $20k. Honda CRV starts at $21,700. I'm thinking a tad higher, like $26-28k. A $6k or more "hybrid premium" over a CRV would probably be acceptable to many consumers.

17. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree. I say $26999. It will be a unique vehicle.

18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i believe it starts at 15% premium in Japan, right? So 3k more than base Prius... seems reasonable.

19. jsmithy

jsmithy Hypermiler and Freedom Lover

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I looked at one here in KC at a Toyota event. The rep stated about a $35K MSRP for the fully loaded model.

20. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota better be careful with the Prius line. They'll run the risk of alienating buyers just as Subaru did when they upscaled the Outback to a 30K car from a 20K car like the last generation was. I was a loyal Subaru buyer ... even went so far as to say that I'd own Subarus from now on. I loved my 2006 Outback. It cost me right at $20K ... an equivalent one now would be $29K ... no thanks.

Even with the Prius I paid $21K for my II, that's about the limit of what I'll mentally spend on a car, although I could spend more. Cars are just a complete and total waste of money. Just money pissed away with absolutely nothing in return.

Try to charge $30K for a Prius and I'm out. I'll buy a base Mazda 3, and save $12K. The only thing that made the Prius attractive to me was the reasonable price over cars like Corollas, and 50MPG. When Prii start costing $25K+, I'll look at and most likely buy a 2012 Ford Focus that gets 40MPG or the new Elantra.

As gas goes up, people's car budget will necessarily go down, and they won't be looking to spend $25 K anymore ... they'll be spending $18K and living with a little less mileage with cars like the Elantra and the new Focus.

Be careful Toyota .... after the initial rush there'll be lots full of these v's at $30K sitting for months.

REV