1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any guesses on price?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by QualityMart, Jan 12, 2011.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like the Prius c might be the low price winner in this area as well as the high mpg. Of course it'll probably not look exactly like it does now.

2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The regular Prius will probably hit the $25K base price with the Prius c taking the "under $20K" title. Just a guess.....

3. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    says the Prius Alpha costs between $29k and $37K USD.

4. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep, I am thinking a loaded v Five will be in the mid $30K range easy.

5. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The indepth-review says this:

However, I'm not sure what the "average Prius transaction price" is, according to Bob Carter. Recently, USA Today said that this was $26k:

So, that would be about $29k for the base v? That's close to my current estimate of $30k starting. I base that estimate upon the competition's pricing and what I've determined has been improved from the Prius II, which has a $23,500 MSRP. I bet I'm missing some things, too:

• Size (big factor, obviously)
    • Adjustable rear seats
    • Pitch and Bounce control
    • 16 inch tires
    • Backup camera
    • Audio LCD Screen
    • Color display
    • Bluetooth/USB
    • Improved seats with power lumbar support
    • New exhaust recirculation system
    • Liquid cooled MG1 and MG2

2 people like this.
  6. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [*] Fold flat front passenger seat

7. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    CRV is AWD.

The closest competitor to this is certainly the Prius, not a CRV or a Mazda5.

I still absolutely think people are insane to be spending the money they do on the Prius V (five).

It will be interesting to see if this thing sells. I'm still not impressed with it until it seats 6 or 7 people.

8. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If by "is AWD" you mean "is available in 4WD", yes. The price I quoted was not with 4WD.

I think the closest competitor is the Escape Hybrid, which is similar in size, is a hybrid, but gets far worse MPG and sells for $30k+ starting MSRP. I think vehicles are assessed by size first, so I completely disagree that the Prius would be the closest competitor.

For those who use SUVs as "people + stuff movers", this should be popular, assuming it isn't too expensive. Gas above $3.50 should also help.

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

10. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I disagree, for a number of reasons. I don't think Toyota is interested in competing with themselves. I think you are overestimating the importance of an SUV. Many people use SUVs where a midsize wagon would work, too. If you read the in-depth review, you'll see that Toyota makes references to "current small SUVs and midsize wagons", indicating that they are going after buyers in that segment who are looking for better fuel economy. Also, this review says that Toyota points out that it has "more room than crossovers like the Chevrolet Equinox, Honda Element, Ford Escape or the Nissan Rogue". So, it should be obvious what market they are targeting. And yes, that includes the Escape.

Ultimately, cars are transportation devices to get you, others, and some stuff from point A to point B. Capacity is a big factor in that equation, and I'd bet that for many who brave parking lots and city streets, an SUV is overkill. And I bet 42 MPG will get them to realize it.

11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or you're underestimating the importance of the word SUV. These things are functionally stupid but people want to say they drive an SUV, for the same reason they don't drive minivans when one would make more sense than their Ford Explorer, which has less interior room, is pricier, and worse on gas.

Whether Toyota wants to compete with themselves is immaterial to whether they are. Like when Nissan came out with a V6 Altima that was as fast and as large as the as-then Maxima. No doubt both were in direct competition.

toyota may be targeting a different crowd but given that this IS merely an extended Prius there's no doubt in my mind that people will cross-shop the two. I'm sure there's no doubt in Toyota's mind on that count.

12. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some people will cross-shop, sure. The Prius v is going to be a compelling package, if it's priced right. It's the size of a small SUV with nearly the gas mileage of an HCH. You could commute in it and get far better gas mileage than most cars on the road. That should attract buyers from all directions. I'm certainly interested. I might find the extra space useful, what with my kids and all.

But it will surely take a bite out of the small SUV market, especially if gas prices remain high. It gets nearly double the mileage of other vehicles of the same size. There is nothing in the market like it at this point. It looks like the C-max hybrid will be a close match in the future. Ford says it's going to get better mileage than the Fusion.