1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any guesses on what the APR and money factors Toyota will offer for the 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sluday, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Bob 411

Bob 411 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again.:D I called the bank. Yes I can do it. I currently have 9 years, 3 months left on the loan. Paying off $20,000 would shorten it to 3 years, 3 months. Taking 6 years off, of payments of $400 would save me $8,800:rockon:.

Thank you again for the help.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The US treasury offers green bonds at about 5% apr interest. Not as much money as saving 4.75% mortgage interest because you have to pay income tax on the bond interest, but worth thinking about for diversification reasons. Don't be so quick to give up a 4.75% mortgage rate, since high inflation is in the US's future.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    All of my home loans have been with Penfed. I tend to switch around as the wind blows ...
    I have nothing but praise for them: often best rates around, and excellent customer service as a rule. I like that they are one of the first to accept documents by email. My current loan with them took about a week from application to cash available. Half that time was waiting for the poste, since the final papers had to be notarized. I *love* efficiency. :D

4. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, good savings Bob. What I have been doing with my mortgage is I took my current payment and divided it by 12. Take that amount and add it to my current payment (1200 / 12 = 100 so payment is 1300 per month). That takes about 6 years off a 30 year mortgage. After the math is done, figuring the extra 100, it will save me about 57k in interest.

5. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Another cool little trick I shared with a lot of my clients (I used to be a part-time realtor) was to simply add 3% per year to their payments. Like this:

Say the loan is a 30 year with a payment of $1,000.00 per month. The first your, you make only that payment, $1,000 per month. The second year, starting with payment 13, add 3% to the payment, which is then a payment of $1,030 per month. If the next year, you add 3% to that (which is not 3% x $1,000 but instead 3% x $1,030), and a new payment of $1,060.90... the following year, with payment #25, add 3% more, paying only $1,092.73 per month.

If you do this for a total of about 15 years (the exact length could vary by a few months as it depends on the actual interest rate), a typical 30 year mortgage can be paid off to zero in only 15 years. This is a great way to save some money on interest, and pay off your home early. But it is also a great way to lose a good tax deduction, depending upon your tax situation.

At the end of the day, I would personally (and may just be me?), I would think that you are better off paying down $20k on a mortgage which is almost paid off, as oppoed to the work that you will end up going through to 'earn' close to $317 before taxes (which assumes the difference between a 5%, 5 year Cd, and a 20k Paydown on a 4.75% Fix Rate mortgage. Let's assume that you are in a 33% tax bracket, which takes 1/3 of that $317, or about $106 in taxes, leaving you with a net of approximately $211 in 'profit' for a 5 year venture of your time and money, still making payments. (Granted you will be paying payments for a while still, but it will shave time off the end of your loan.

Maybe then you can splurge for a better equiped Prius ;)

6. Jabber

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great advice EGL. It really is amazing how fast you can pay down your mortgage with a very small monthly investment. I was a loan officer for a very short time (2 years).

7. raidbuck

raidbuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just got pre-approlved for my 2010 Prius from my Credit Union for 5.25%. My dealership didn't want to talk rates until purchase was imminent. Does anyone have any idea what Toyota will offer for the 2010?

Thanks,

Rich

8. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess would be that Toyota will probably do a usual 6.9% for the new Prius. You should join Penfed credit union. Right now they are offering 3.99% for up to 60 months on any car up to $100,000 Go to penfed.com to check rates.:peace:

9. Jabber

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will always recommend getting the lowest rate, but Toyota will not be offering 6.9% as that is higher than their currently published regular (non-incentivized) rate. My guess is the rate will be around 5.25-5.5% with top tier credit. Of course, your dealer may vary.