1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any guides for installing CTEK comfort indicators to the battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ep3eddie, Feb 27, 2022.

1. ep3eddie

ep3eddie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hi all,

So I’m not too active here, but if anyone has seen my post history I’ve got a problem with my 2008 Prius killing 12V batteries. I’m not sure if it’s a parasitic drain issue or simply due to not using it enough. Either way, I just began a new job (first real job out of college, job market has been rough) where the commute is 30+ miles each way four days a week after training, and I am thinking of using this car solely for work commute (currently using my fiancées car but obviously better to have a separate in case of emergencies, and it’s better mileage), at least until the auto market cools down a bit and I can buy a new car outright.

While I suspect I may be driving enough to keep it healthy, I’d like to be sure and be safe, so I’m thinking about getting a CTEK 7002 and one of the comfort indicator kits. It may not be the easiest to charge considering I’ll likely have to street park most days, but if I need to run an extension cord out than I will figure that out down the line. That being said, and considering my caution around electricity and caution against wanting to potentially cause more electric issues, I was hoping someone had experience or a step-by-step guide on how to install this system or a similar system using the same eyelet attachments. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure what these CTEK 7002 systems really are but seems like overpriced garbage on first glance. Just buy yourself a legitimate 12v battery charger for $30. This one is good: Maintenance-free Battery Charger 12V/24V 10A 140W Output For Electric Car USA | eBay Plenty of amps to charge with. And because Prius have a chronic problem with not charging 12v enough when the vehicle isn't used very often, just periodically run this 12v charger whenever your parking spot is conducive to plugging into an outlet. Perhaps at your new job?

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You probably should start your permanent fix with a new, fully charged 12 V battery.
    And then do whatever you can to KEEP it fully charged.
    60 miles 4 days a week should be plenty.
    Excess parasitic drains are not impossible......but pretty rare.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would suggest not going to your new job and trying to run an extension cord to your car. First impressions are important.
    Some companies offer free EV charging as a perk. Not many are setup to offer free 120v outlet use, and I would imagine extension cords strung across a parking area would be frowned upon. Don't start a new job and get a reputation as 'that guy'.

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the job market is tough? i have heard the complete opposite (n)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't see anything about a 'comfort indicator', but i would hook it up to the battery and run the lead out the hatch or through the batter drain plug underneath.
    B000FRLO9Y

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The complete opposite of what, exactly ?
    And where exactly did you hear that ??

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The hard part about the job market right now is just having people show up. Everywhere I go, I see dozens of help wanted signs. What I don't see, are people applying.

I do interviews almost every day. Scheduled interviews. At best, a 40% show rate. And then, probably only 30% even know what the company does and what they're interviewing for, other than a name to put on a piece of paper that says they looked for a job. It's gotten to the point that we actually call the prospective hire 15 minutes prior to the scheduled time, just to verify if they're going to show up, so we stop wasting our time waiting.

We did a virtual interview day recently. About 200 interviews. Of that, about 30 were scheduled to come in the following day for in-person interviews. 5 were scheduled for my department. 2 showed up.

Of the ones we hire, probably 1 in 3 are gone within 3 months due to attendance issues.

Another likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I connected a CTEK quick-connect (same thing as "comfort indicator", just lacks LED status lights if I'm not mistaken), albeit on a third gen. I connected the positive ring connector where 12 volts is supplied to the under-hood fuse box. The neg connector I found a nearby threaded hole in the body.

When doing this you want to disconnect and isolate the 12 volt neg cable at the battery, for safety.

Hopefully second gen is somewhat similar; here's an @NutzAboutBolts video on accessing the 12 volt supply on third gen, fwiw:

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in the news every day for a year at least

Another likes this.
  11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The lower you make the expectations of you when your job starts, the easier your job is in the long run... And seeing this is the "great resignation" era in the job market right now, it's a perfect opportunity to get away with more than they'd ever allow if employees were still easy to replace. I'd push the limits right away if it was me!

12. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The CTEK (56-304) Comfort Connect is a special extension cable for the charger that most people don't need. In fact, if the car was right you would not need a maintainer/charger unless you were not driving the car for two or three weeks on a regular basis.

If there IS a problem causing the 12v battery to die in a week or less, just running an extension cord to the street every night is a bad idea. First, someone may steal the cord, they may trip themselves, the real problem is not being addressed. This "mask the problem if there is one" strategy will lead to a stranding somewhere inconvenient. The battery should hold two or three weeks easily.

If you must have a charger rigged up like this a $35 Battery Tender Jr from Walmart or Amazon is just as good as the $123 CTek and $14 extra 8 foot "Comfort" extension cable.

Actually installing the ring terminals could be done under the hood on the jump tab (+) and any nearby metal (-) outside of the fuse box. Or it can be done directly on the 12v battery in the back inside the hatch. Depends which end of the car is more convenient, usually a factor in a garage. I would have somebody that has a meter and a little experience do this if it seems difficult.

Finally starting new threads on the same subject leads to confusion and often misdirected opinions.

CTEK charger on wall
    5E0C46CA-C946-4E42-8191-FB0BE6DE02E1.jpeg

$35 Battery Tender Jr Charger with included 12' cable
    146E3B1A-67B5-4CB9-BBA3-696447144991.jpeg

#12 rjparker, Feb 28, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In that case, I recommend getting a bunch of extension cords and plugging into an outlet in the Site Managers office!!
    GO BIG!!

:):):)

PriusCamper likes this.
  14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Especially if you bring your own heavy duty extension cord so manager can't close his office door anymore! You'd be a legend on the first day for sure if you did that!

TMR-JWAP likes this.
  15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Especially if you have to unplug some of his stuff to make room for yours!!

Just walk in like you own the place, introduce yourself as the new guy, unplug his junk (maybe even cut the plugs off the cords) and plug yours in. This would be an awesome video. C'mon tik-tokers!!!! This could be the greatest viewership video ever!!

PS..sorry about the thread hijack.....:(

Mendel Leisk and PriusCamper like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Taking it furthur...

(Link starts at 6:16)

17. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  18. ep3eddie

ep3eddie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

Oh wow, does that work well for the Prius? Always nervous because I know the Prius has an odd, quirky electrical system. I love the idea of having a solar system to maintain the battery, the power from that should be more than enough to maintain the new battery topped off, just always worried about anything electric with the system, like maybe leaving it plugged in would overcharge or mess something up. But I’d totally be interested in it if it’s all clear for the Prius!

PS Is there any benefit to getting a larger or more expensive one, or does it mainly come down to after a certain point they’re all doing the same thing

(Had to remove link as I don’t have enough posts to contain link in my posts)