1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any hints on separating engine block from inverter?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by donzoh1, Jan 2, 2023.

1. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am removing the ICE and have disconnected wiring and plumbing and passenger engine mount. I've tried pulling laterally on the engine block but no luck, although the engine has rotated maybe an eight of an inch about the input shaft. I'm wondering whether there's rust or corrosion on the input shaft? I have an engine hoist hooked up and have tried different amounts of lift. The transaxle is supported. It's frustrating since I've actually pulled the engine from this car once before.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    By inverter you mean transaxle I’m sure??

on the underside, at the seam between engine and transaxle, there’s a little recess. @Ragingfit tapped a cold chisel in there, loosened it up.

3. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think of the power train as ICE, inverter/generator, transaxle, from passenger to driver's side. I've gotten the ICE out from the top before, leaving the rest of the power train supported by three of the four engine mounts. I do seem to remember the recess you're talking about but hadn't been under there to look for it yet. :(

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you've done it before I doubt you're overlooking anything obvious... I suspect that it's some type of corrosion or bad fit. Any symptoms with car that could be related to damage in the the area you're trying to separate?

Perhaps some impact tools that are used on separating suspension parts? Or perhaps a really big pry bar? Or some kind of other lever that will convert the weight of the vehicle as you lower it with a jack into a sideways force to make the separation?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nobody else does. :) The inverter is the silver box that sits on top of the transaxle, and houses the electronics.

[​IMG]

The engine bolts directly to the transaxle. The "generator" (a/k/a MG1) and the "motor" (MG2) are in that order from passenger to driver's side, but they are both parts of the transaxle, and inside of it.

CR94 likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm confused at what you're trying to do I guess you're trying to pull the engine out while leaving the CVT and the inverter which is the thing that says hybrid synergy drive on it if it's a Gen 2 if it's a Gen 3 I don't think it says anything on it it's just aluminum with a sheet metal plate on it. The engine and transmission with the bolts out should separate pretty easily and lift right out If not then you're looking for a bolt not to be all the way undone or something along those lines serious corrosion seriously I would like to think not unless you've got some kind of water spraying inside of your transmission bell housing or other fluid leak in there but if it's transmission fluid it should help it come apart if it's coolant or water it could be causing rust and causing things to not come apart but I would hate to believe that that's the case

7. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Feeling moderately stupid as I'd left one of the top opposite facing bolts in and even one lower bolt that I'd left finger tight pending the disconnection of electronics and plumbing. :(

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well, then I'll quit calling it that.

9. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Unfortunately, or fortunately, it was two bolts...one obvious and the other one hidden below an HV cable to the invertor.

CR94 and Mendel Leisk like this.