1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any idea on trade-in value?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by josh2008, Feb 21, 2012.

1. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Howdy all,

All the online calculators I've found basically suck. They normally don't take advantage of the different trim levels etc, especially with this being a PLUS Performance car. Anywho, details are 2011 package 4 with solar sunroof and PLUS Performance pkg, Blizzard Pearl with ~5k miles. Will likely switch to a lower level 11 or 12, possibly V just because I like it. :D

Thanks!
    Josh

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Turbocharged? :)

3. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eh, its a dream that just when I get SO close, it falls thru my fingers.I wish.

4. Dog Face

Dog Face New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To estimate trade-in values, I use Edmunds.com and Kelly Blue Book. They're both really good, but I especially like Edmunds. They allow you to add all sorts of options. I also have a buddy with access to a car auction database so I can know what my car sells for at auction. You can also just see what other people and dealers are selling your type of car for with a little research.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ Concur with Edmunds and KBB.
    Many people who buy higher trim levels don't fully appreciate (pun unintended) how much more of an ding that their vehicles take when it comes time to sell it. This is especially true for the G3, which starts out life as a $24,000 vehicle but rockets up deep into the thirties faster than you can say "ATP."
    Does it cost Toyota an extra $12,000 to add factory installed options to this car?
    Of course it doesn't.
    This phenom is exacerbated by the fact that many people do not sell their vehicles, but rather trade them in. You're usually leaving 4-figures at the bargaining table when you do this.
    If the 'suckiness' of the on-line value estimators has anything to do with your disappointment in what they say your vehicle is worth, then try seeing what similarly equipped vehicles are selling for on the street, and then factor in profit margins and bargaining wiggle room. That should give you a fairly clear picture of what your ride is worth in the real world.

One bit of good news.....for sellers. The used car market is strong right now, especially for gas sippers. Gas is up, and a lot of people are either stuck in economic doldrums....or they're so far upside down in their current ride that keeping their car or doing a used car for used car swap is the only thing that they can afford.

Good Luck!

6. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have a loaded 11 .... why would you be doing what you mention above. It is not economically feasable, which you will quickly find out.

You're going to get killed financially. Better to keep the nice car you have ... cheaper too.

REV

7. kswebb1

kswebb1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was wondering the same thing.Why trade in and go with a lower model.The trade in versus retail would cost you more then just keeping it and it has more features.

Generally speaking most cars trade in is 4k less then retail.So you would lose close to 4k on yours.Is a lower models retail 4k less then your trade in value ??If not then you would be paying more money for one with less options.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have to find one that factors in the solar roof option. Most have a moon-roof tick box but selecting that only changes the amount by a few dollars.

9. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wanted to let you all know what offers I've been given. Dealer in Asheville, nc in the dangerous SET region offered me all of $22,500. The dealer I used to work for offered me $27,000. Turns out that the PLUS package adds no real value to the car, it just costs you $3,800 extra when you buy it. Oh well.

10. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same with most modifications, including the higher option packages. Off the wall extensive mods or performance mods can actually result in LESS trade in value than a standard car would have.

If somebody offered you $27K for that car ... you better snap it up, because you'll NEVER do any better than that.

REV

11. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Snap that offer up? Um, no thanks. MSRP of this car was $36,000 when I bought it 5 months ago. $27K is still a kick in the you know what. Had I known the PLUS pkg added no value to the car I never wouldve bought it.

12. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    still dont understand why you would get a lower model. Same MPG...you are just wasting money.

13. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    See if you get a better offer ... I doubt you will, unfortunately.

$36K ... discounted to about $34K ... less 20% for used depreciation ... = $27,200. I feel your pain, but it's just the way the auto industry is. I mentioned in my first post that what you're trying to do is economically not feasable. To be honest ... I'm really surprised that ANY dealer would offer you $27K. There's no way a dealer could sell a used Prius on his lot ... no matter how loaded .... for $30K or more, which is what they'd have to do to make an appreciable profit. If you don't believe me ... try to sell it yourself for $30K. 99.9% of buyers will buy a NEW, lesser car rather than a USED car, no matter how loaded or lightly used it is.

Again ... I feel your pain ... keep the car and enjoy it. I'm sure it's really nice. :D

I'm glad I bought my 2010 II for $21K leftover brand new in Jan of 2011.

REV