1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any idea when it will be available in the US?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by OlgaG, Nov 7, 2015.

1. OlgaG

OlgaG New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am in a dire need of a new car. Or rather my son is in a dire need of my old Prius. It feels stupid to buy a 2015 when a completely redesigned model is about to come out. But I don't know how much longer we can wait. Having driven a Prius for the last 10 years, I cannot think of any other car I might be interested in. If I lived in a house, I would have considered an electric, but I don't.

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    actually, end of generation is a good time to score bargains. i'm hearing used PIPs are selling under their hybrid brothers.
    besides, it's never a good idea to buy the first year of new generation. i was burned twice when i did that with corolla and RAV4 in the past.
    i waited with prius till the end of 2010, although the 2010 prius made in 2009 turned out not to be very bad with only 2 recalls.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! it's looking like the first quarter of '16. we don't even have models and pricing yet, but they will be coming soon. you'll be getting the first ones on the west coast. contact dianne whitmire at carson toyota to see if she can hook you up. all the best!(y)

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess you can still get HOV tags on a PiP out there? So how about a used PiP? They are going pretty cheap back East they say, not sure about CA but maybe this is a good time to head East for a vehicle. When PiP first came out in 2012, prices were high in CA and quite a few came out here for PiPs. You want to get eg; an MD PiP with CARB pedigree. For example we had a 2013 with 30k miles going for $17k here on Prius Chat. That's what you might be looking at.

5. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I am getting a blizzard white 2012 prius plug in w/ 37k miles for $14,998. (Blizzard white has a $400 premium over the other colors when new if I remember). If I get approved, I will be able to get this PIP price down to about $7,000 though california discounts.

These plug ins are cheaper than the regular prius and prius c models for some reason. PIPs have Poor resale value which works in my favor as a buyer.

According to someone I spoke to, the PIPs are selling for a little over $10k at the auctions.

iPhone ?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the UK is getting it in March and Japan is getting in December. My best guess is the US will be somewhere in between - Jan or Feb. We'll know really soon because the media test drive is this upcoming week and the embargo is released on Nov 18. I'm sure there'll be some information released as to the on-sale date during the media event.

7. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I guess those recommending a PiP missed this? :) At any rate, it's a tough decision if you don't think you can wait until maybe February (or even March) and really want a 2016. Not much to go on though since you didn't offer any idea of what a 2016 offers that you want or need other than a new look.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not get burned with a first year Accord, Subaru Legacy, early 2010 Prius, and so far with a 2014 Forester.

Nearly all cars get recalled now, even the spouse's tail end of production run Integra. While our Forester has not yet been recalled, it is still young, several of our past recalls were at a much greater age.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2004 was a solid prius year. they actually overbuilt it, then backed off as they got more comfortable.

10. OlgaG

OlgaG New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for paying attention. :)

About my reasons for wanting a 2016. I don't buy cars often. In my family we don't buy used cars unless we know where they've been. We buy new ones and drive them for as long as possible. I got a new one (Honda) in 1997, then my current Prius in 2005 (only because my parents' car died and I wanted them to have mine). I wouldn't even be on a market for a new car now if my son's car weren't on it's last leg. My 2005 only has just over 70K on it. If I buy a new car now, I don't want it to start looking old in 3 months because the completely redesigned model is out. Plus I really like the look.

However, waiting until February or March is not an option. So, I guess we'll have to try and get the best deal possible on a 2015.

11. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You could ask the dealer if they would lease a used car off of their lot until a 2016 Prius comes in. Maybe they would make you a deal (but probably not as much as the discounts available on the 2015s) if you order a 2016 when the pricing is available on the 18th.

12. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We also buy new, avoid used and keep vehicles for a long time. We kept our '88 until 2005, our '99 until 2014 and we still have our '05 truck. When I heard the redesign was delayed, we bought a 2014 with the idea that if we really liked the redesign, we'd trade for a 2017 or 2018 model and keep that for a long time. Given what I've seen of the redesign so far though, it's still an option, just not as high a priority as it was. We're also putting on more miles that we anticipated, so we might be due for a trade in 2019 or 2020 anyway. Plus, there are more options now and who knows what the future will bring?

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a great price $15k, but how do you get down to $7000 on a used PiP?

OK sorry, missed the no plug but I just generically feel if there is one place a PiP makes sense it is CA. OP would not be the first CA PiP owner to not plug in too often.

#13 wjtracy, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Toyota UK Web site says February availability. Therefore, it sounds like the production is starting on January 2, 2016, and the first shipments will be received in late January, with initial availability in dealers in early February.

You get very little discount from MSRP during the first six months or so though.

15. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

California has a pilot program I signed up for back in July of this year.

I have been on the waiting list for over 3 months. I recently got preliminary approval to participate.

I will know more when I get final approval in the next few weeks if I will get some funding to purchase a hybrid vehicle which brings my out of pocket cost down to $5,500, but I factored in sales tax, that brings it up to almost $7,000.

It is similar to the rebate or federal tax credit programs offered in other states, except here, cash is funded to make the purchase up front.

If I were to purchase a new car, I would be able to combine the federal tax credit and state rebate on top of the funding up front.

iPhone ?

retired4999 likes this.
  16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Define "Dire".

If it is really an immediate need, then you don't have much choice do you?

If waiting a few months is possible, then the choice simply becomes between a Gen 3 now, or a Gen 4 in couple of months.

And that's entirely up to you.
    I agree that right now GREAT deals can be made on remaining Gen 3's.

If you are the type that would buy a Gen 3, then drool over the newness or possible improvements of the Gen 4? Then wait.

I don't think it's stupid to buy a Gen 3 now. I don't think it's stupid to wait and buy a Gen 4.- It's simply a choice.

I personally don't particularly like being in the first wave of buyers with a new generation. I like to wait until the first refresh, and until some of the initial bugs are worked out.
    But that might be somewhat antiquated thinking.

If you REALLY want a new Gen 4? I'd tell the son to buy a bus pass for a few months. He's waited this long....he can wait a little more.

Good Luck with it.

17. TonyWilkey

TonyWilkey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was stated that Japan would get 2016's in January. So I would expect the other "right hand drive" countries (UK, Australia) to get some in Feb/March.

Since it is already mid November and we can't configure or order 2016's in the US yet, I would guess that the first deliveries to US dealers would be April/May at the earliest.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No way. It's going into production end of this month. US is a huge market for Prius. I say it arrives on west coast in January. Besides, if it did arrive in April/May (which it won't) it would be called a 2017 model.

19. Netcub

Netcub Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought my 2010 in late May of 09. I wouldn't want to purchase a 2016 in May of 16, I'd just as soon wait for the 2017's at that point.

20. TonyWilkey

TonyWilkey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ha. Time will tell. But I don't see how Toyota can make these early year deliveries, if no one can place orders. My local dealer has ZERO information on when they can order the 2016 Prius.