1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any ideas for adjustable cable/mechanism to hang charger in various situations?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Spidey71, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Spidey71

Spidey71 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I'm REALLY enjoying our new PP. I've only got 850km on it, so am still early in the learning curve. One question I have is attaching some sort of adjustable cable or hanging mechanism to the two hole-mounts on the brick charger so I can hang the charger in a variety of different plug-in environments when on the road. The weight of the charger device is too heavy to simply hang there while being plugged in (not sure why Toyota didn't make the 120v plug-in portion of the cord longer). I know I could just get a short 12g extension cord but I'd like to keep the charging unit off the ground and not have to lug around another cord if possible.

My office parking space has an outside GFI outlet attached to the building about 3ft off the ground. The outlet is under a deck so it's mostly sheltered from the elements. The outlet is also not flush with the wall - instead the plastic outlet box protrudes approx. 2". I could potentially hang the charger on the outlet box with a cable rigged on the charger mounting holes. I would like to make it adjustable so I can adapt to other plug in environments we may encounter.

Any ideas? Cord/cable/clips? Whatever connects to the charger has to be less than 1/4" in diameter due to the small hole mounts.

Dudley1030 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i use a bungee cord, it works in a variety of situations due to the elasticity.

Trollbait likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you get an extension cord, it needs to rated:

12 A / 80% = 15 A or higher

Bob Wilson

Spidey71 likes this.
  4. Spidey71

Spidey71 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Great idea on the bungee cord! I found one in my garage and the plastic-coated hooks fit perfectly in the holes. I'll probably get a few of different lengths and should be good to go. My wife's parking spot at work has an outlet mounted on a standalone 4' post, so the bungees could attach the charger directly on to the pole. Smart Straps sells a product called BungeeX which come in a variety of lengths and you can adjust the tension on the straps.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i used to hang it from the outlet box on the side of my building at work. it was the surface mounted type, so stuck out a few inches.

6. Dudley1030

Dudley1030 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A small bungee cord? Or Small 3' ext cord, but make sure it is at least a 14ga, 12 ga better.