1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Irish/UK Prius owners on this site?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dublinprius, Oct 25, 2008.

1. dublinprius

dublinprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Greetings all. Can I congratulate every single poster on this site - it has been compulsive reading for me for the past fortnight as I waited for my Prius to be delivered. Now I have it, like many others, I don't think I could go back to a traditional car!

I notice that most users of this site are from the US - here in Ireland we have different specs for the Prius - basic, luxury, sat nav and leather. I have the luxury (ie I have cruise control, front fog lights and 9=speaker stereo in addition to everything the basic Prius has)

As I have only had a few spins in the new car over the last 24 hours, I am really only finding my feet with it.

My display shows that I am getting 10.6l/100km - is that good or bad? When I picked the car up yesterday, I was getting 20l/100km.

I used one of the calculators recommended on the site and this converts to about 22mpg. Most of my driving since I got it has been in traffic in god-awful rainy, stormy weather!

Other than a slight bit of confusion over my petrol efficiency, all is mighty fine with my new baby! Very comfortable car to drive, no more messing around with a stick shift gear, no more sore arms after an hour in traffic!!

Power to the Prius!!!!

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :welcome: Welcome to PriusChat, DublinPrius! Slainte!

I know there have been some members from Ireland and the UK. I can't speak to how active they are. There's a Prius taxi in Dublin, I believe.

It's true that the weather will work against you. But that's the beauty of the collective membership of PriusChat. We will work with you to help you achieve the best mileage possible for your driving situations in your climate conditions.

My personal opinion that to start off by just driving the car and becoming familiar with it. And after - let's say the coming winter - you should start really fretting over mileage and all that. As you said yourself, you are just finding your feet with the car. There's no reason to complicate things with advanced milage strategies. Just drive it.

And if you can post some pictures of your car against the beautiful Irish background that would be nice too. :)

3. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius Chat!

10.6 l / 100 km is awful if you are talking about average consumption. You are real with those figures or talking about current maximum consumption observed?

I am getting 4.7 l / 100 km average and current consumption it can of course go even up to 99,9 l / 100 km. Even with terrible traffic your average consumption should not go above 8 l / 100 km. Unless you make extremely short trips and all of them being with cold engine start.

4. dublinprius

dublinprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Hi Ogo,

So without getting too technical, I should be aiming to lower the 10.6l/100km average consumption? This morning, it went down to 10.2.

In other words, low number - good. High number - bad??

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my query.

5. dublinprius

dublinprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK - took my lean green machine out for a decent spin this evening in urban area and got my consumption down to an average of 8.4l/100km. I think I'm getting the hang of this. Reach your desired speed and just lightly leave your foot on the accelerator. The current consumption bar on the energy screen stays low so that is good overall??

6. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Greetings Dublinprius ! Great site you have found here and lots of helpful folks too.
    Short trips on a cold engine don't do the Prius any favours, but over 10 miles and your consumption will improve more than you are currently getting. Also, its brand new (bit tight) and you need to just get used to driving it without a lead foot. After that it's easy to get decent fuel consumption, even here in the UK where the distances aren't as great to commute as in USA.
    :welcome:

7. dublinprius

dublinprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi there - great to see another fellow 'continent-person'!!!

I must say from reading A LOT of the posts on this great site, I am somewhat envious of our American friends because they can get such good drives. Here in Dublin the traffic is appalling, other motorists rude and don't get me started on taxi drivers! What I would give for a good decent drive!! I plan on driving my new baby on a 400 mile round trip at the end of November so I suppose I will really get to see what she is made of then.

But one thing that has really struck me about the Prius is what a relaxed drive it is. I am a pure Toyota babe, in that my last two cars were Corollas. This is the first automatic I have ever had. Even my commute home from work in the evening (only four miles) is far more relaxed than it ever was in the Corolla.

I know what my new stress-busting hobby is going to be ..... driving my Prius!

Happy motoring.

PS Read somewhere recently that there are only 2,000 Prius in Ireland! I have a feeling that number will increase dramatically in the next year seeing as car tax for the entire year for a Prius is just €104 (compared to nearly €400 for my old Corolla). Insurance is also cheaper too.

8. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Stress-free - oh yes ! Believe it or not, yesterday I was stuck in a traffic jam at the Trafford Centre in Manchester (USA folks, just think of a big shopping mall) for 2 and a half hours just trying to get out of that mall. It was just totally grid-locked...... but what a pleasure to have to sit in my Prius through that. The engine came on a few times, but mostly off and quiet and peaceful inside, no continual engine noise, no over heating (unlike 2 other cars there).

I think there are probably about 20,000 Prius in mainland UK, but I haven't seen many of them. I too think there will be more on the road too as our road tax for this car is only £15 a year (€19 approx).

You will enjoy your longer trip out and arrive relaxed and stress-free too, so much so that you will want to do it agian and again and again... ENJOY !