1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any issues replacing 57031 radio with aftermarket?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 3prongpaul, Jun 18, 2017.

1. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you replace the factory 57031 "touchscreen" radio with an aftermarket radio what do you lose aside from OEM bluetooth integration and car setting preferences?

IMG_8369.jpg

2. EV_Joyrida

EV_Joyrida Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you download the Carista app and purchase a supported ODB2 Bluetooth adapter you will not lose the OEM setting preferences. In actuality the OEM radio limits the settings available to you. With Carista you'll be able to adjust the setting that where accessible via the radio and much more.

Pickup a iDatalink Maestro or PAC steering wheel control module to keep the left and right steering wheel controls. I prefer the Maestro RR because if you purchase a supported head unit you'll have access to instrument information and error codes via the head unit, e.g. speeds, temps, fuel, etc. Crutchfield is an awesome company but they'll tell you it doesn't work on a Prius. But that is incorrect. I have it installed on my 2010 Prius II and 2012 Plug-in. Crutchfield list it as not being compatible because idatalink doesn't make a t-harness for the Prius. However, if you're willing to follow the detailed instruction provided by idatalink and t-tap two wires on the ODB2 harness it will work just as well as having a convenient t-harness.

Get a new head unit with Bluetooth and that solves that issues as well.

The backup camera is easily retained. Metra makes a harness for the job to keep it simple.

The factory USB is easily retained. Metra makes a harness for the job to keep it simple.

The factory mic can also be retained. However, it is a major butt pain. So I past on it because the aftermarket head mics work very well.

And now my favorite topic - the OEM GPS antenna. It can be retained as well despite all the posts on PC saying it cannot be done. Well I did it and it works. The link is below.

Helpful Links:
    Retain OEM GPS Antenna with Aftermarket Head Unit | PriusChat
    Installing aftermarket in-dash GPS unit in a 2015 Prius Two | PriusChat
    2010 Toyota Prius model II Head Unit Upgrade | PriusChat
    2010 Toyota Prius model II Head Unit Upgrade (v2.0) | PriusChat
    2010 Toyota Prius model II Head Unit Upgrade | Page 10 | PriusChat (Replies 187 and 188)

Prieth and m.wynn like this.
  3. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great suggestions, thanks!

4. EV_Joyrida

EV_Joyrida Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in