1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any JBL woofer replacements that improve things?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by FredWB, Dec 12, 2003.

1. m1j1tc0rn

m1j1tc0rn New Member

i must admit i'm having a difficult time getting a full sound , altho it's only been 2 days. my previous system was nice, but nothing special. it just seems that i need to dial in a robust mid-range and make the sound more focused. for now this system feels very widespread and almost as if the sweet spot is between the back seats.

anyway, does anyone have any recommended sound settings for a primary driver focus?

thanks,
    -r

(silver/9)

2. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a subwoofer in the hidden compartment would be the way to go, but I can't see a Bazooka being able to fit in there. BTW, I notice that the Bazooka is in the Scion accessories catalog as a factory-approved, dealer-installed option.

3. krooster1234

krooster1234 New Member

It's been awhile since anyone commented on this thread.... I am curious as to what audio mods people have found (in the last couple months) that improve the JBL premium audio system. I was spoiled with MBQuart speakers and an Alpine stereo with BBE in my last car (also Infinity subwoofer) and would like to know more about what people have found out about improving the JBL system.

I am soooo tempted to just swap out the panasonic stereo for my old Alpine since my previous car is still in the family and I technically still own it......... but the steering wheel controls and LCD display controls and 6 disc CD changer rock way too much. Strangely, I'm not at all tempted to put my subwoofer in the prius, the bass in the JBL system seems pretty solid to me. Personally, I think the system sounds the best with the treble +1 and the bass +1.

-Kevin

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm inclined to agree - the bass is tight if you want to feel it at higher volumes. At lower volumes though, it does dip in the lower ranges.

I don't go for boomy bass, but I do desire a flat response in my system.

5. m1j1tc0rn

m1j1tc0rn New Member

i have found the same settings to be ok, in addition i had to put a little more fade into the rear speakers. overall, i think the tinny highs and mids could be less harsh. i was going to replace the front door panel speakers in a couple of months. i looked at them with the door casing removed and they were paper. not a big surprise, but i think replacing those would go a long way.
    -r

6. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    How does fading a bit to the rear affect the overall stage? I've kept mine dead center for now.

7. aknee87

aknee87 Junior Member

I went to a local car audio shop recently. They recommended an Alpine
    MRVT320 Amp and a replacement of the two front door bottom speakers
    with two JL Audio XR650 speakers. The cost with installation and tax
    would be $725. I was hoping to just replace the door speakers and get
    results, but they claim it wouldn't do any good without the amp. I'm
    really not an audiophile...I just know that the sound is a bit muddy
    for my liking.

I hate to make this kind of additional investment without knowing how
    much better the sound will be. It looks like some folks in this forum have gone for some Boston Acoustics speakers, but have they helped very much?

One of my complaints about the JBL "Premium" system is that the middle
    dash speaker drowns out the others and the sound bounces off the
    windshield. The audio shop said they could *permanently* turn down
    the volume of that speaker (i.e., it wouldn't be adjustable). My
    solution to the center dash speaker problem has been to fade to the
    rear speakers quite a bit, which diminishes the center dash speaker, but it certainly isn't an optimum fix.

I do not know...think I'll just wait a bit before committing *another*
    $700+. Maybe I'll just get used to the way things are (but probably not). Ironically, I went for the #9 package so that I could get the "premium" sound system, when it looks like I should've saved $3000 by going for #7 and then adding aftermarkeet sounds.

Any thoughts from anyone on what the audio shop proposed?

Thanks!

8. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Interesting theory! Could the "problem" (for those of us that are disappointed) be as simple as one speaker drowning out everything else? I was aiming in a similar direction: that the position of the tweeters was skewing things. I will have to try driving home tonight with a sweater over the center speaker...

I sure wish that someone who knows something about audio systems could lend a hand. All I know is that I much preferred my Ford Explorer system. However, I can't articulate exactly why.

9. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless the alpine can connect in the same way as the JBL amp, I wouldn't waste the money or time. Also, unless the Alpine is rated at higher than 45w x 4, you won't notice a power boost.

That's not to say, however, that you wouldn't notice a sound improvement - we've yet to figure out if the sound quality is hampered at the speakers or the amp level. I can say there is some noise in the amp (audible hiss at dead silence).

10. FredWB

FredWB New Member

For what it's worth, I did try covering the center speaker and it didn't appear to make a bit of difference. I put a heavy piece of foam over it.

11. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hate to start this thread up again, but almost everyone agrees that the audio system is not the greatest. Can anyone tell me what size speakers are in the front and rear doors. I am thinking about replacing them. The woofers that is.

12. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Rick posted these specs on the first page of this thread:

Speaker Specifications (base - 6 speakers total):
    Front Door
    Tweeter: 3.8 cm (1.5 in.) 4ohm
    Full Range: 16 cm (6.3 in.) 4ohm
    Rear Door
    Full Range: 16 cm (6.3 in.) 4ohm

Speaker Specs (JBL premium - 9 speakers total):
    Instrument Panel Center Speaker: 6.5 cm (2.6 in.) 2ohm
    Front Door:
    Tweeter 2.0 cm (0.8 in.) 6ohm
    Full Range 16 cm (6.3 in.) 2ohm
    Rear Door
    Tweeter: 2.0 cm (0.8 in.) 6ohm
    Full Range: 16 cm (6.3 in.) 3ohm

So, yes, as Rick stated again above, the door speakers are 6.5s.

14. krooster1234

krooster1234 New Member

If you replace the woofers, let us know how it sounds! And what speakers you went with.

15. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here are my results after replacing the two rear woofers with two thundercone woofers (4 ohm 170 Watts Max Power).

First, let me say that the JBL woofers are rated at 2.6 ohms. So good luck finding 2.6 ohm speakers. I don't think so. That's a problem because your speakers should match the amp.

Second, the JBL speakers have two notches cutout the side so you will have to cut your speaker or cut the notches off the speaker housing on the door so your replacment speakers will fit properly. I put some foam around the speaker because I didn't want to cut either. With the foam, the speaker doesn't fit flush and it was difficult to put the door panel back. Almost broke the door panel. Did crack it a bit.

After about two hours I finally got the speakers installed.

The sound quality is the same. No difference at all. This means that the lack of low end is the head unit. The guy at the car audio shop told me that the speakers would not make a difference. I should have listened to him.

My next step is the look into having a amp with some bass boost installed.
    Thats the only solution to the JBL problem. I am thinking that this could be fixed in the software with DSP algorithm.

I don't want to use my rear compartment space for a sub like some others have reported.

I don't even listen to music that much, but when I do I miss the low end my previous car had with the standard stereo that came with it. Back to talk radio until I find a solution.

16. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    4ohm speakers if anything could sound "different". I'd be concerned that changing the load may send more current through the tweeters as well since there's a passive crossover in the line.

When you put the speakers in - did you seal the space at all or are they running free air? Are the speakers designed to be sealed?

I'm not sure there's a DSP in the line doing anything w/ our sound - not one that was advertised. The advertised DSP in the manuals never made it into the system. Now if there's some sort of a low cut to help keep the speakers from rattling, that could obviously play a part.

I wonder also if the passive crossover in the rear (or in the amp for the front) might have a mild bass filter (high pass?) that's affecting overall response. Is it possible for someone to connect some sort of signal tool to a speaker output and test the "response" of the unit as seen by the speakers?

I'd still be open to a small sub option if it fit well in the hatch and didn't require the loss of the spare. I'd be concerned about routing line-level signal as well as power and remote turn-on to it though.

Until then, my compromise is up 2 notches for bass in the "equalizer".

17. Vernon Yu

Vernon Yu New Member

I had a ported sub enclosure made to fit into the storage compartment under the hatch floor. It takes up a little more than half of the storage space and required no alterations to the car. It houses an 8 inch woofer and is coupled with a 200 watt amp mounted under the driver's seat. The sound fills-in the missing bass in the JBL system very well.

Vernon

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Pics pics!!!

19. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious why you chose to mount the amp under the drivers seat vs. near the sub enclosure. Better ventilation? Shorter signal cable run?

What did you tap for line in? Line in on the JBL amp or speaker level for the front or rear speakers?

How does it sound? Being ported, is it a bit boomy or still tight? I'm used to sealed boxes, so I'm curious if going ported in this case is detrimental to sound quality.

And if you don't mind answering, what did it cost you to have it done?

20. Vernon Yu

Vernon Yu New Member

Sorry, my digital camera broke a while ago when someone sat on it. Maybe I'll borrow one because the installation, though hidden, is very nice. The box fits nicely in the storage space and is covered with the same color carpet as the beige car interior. The installer even made an extra matching panel for the bottom of the storage compartment to give it a finished look and keep the box from sliding.

The amp is under the seat only because it is rather large and did not fit in the storage area with the woofer. I can't see the wires, but the installer said he attached the input to the rear bottom speakers. The power is attached directly to the battery.

I am very happy with the sound. I tuned the variable crossover on the amp to limit all but the lowest frequencies, so it adds to, but does not replace the bass from the door speakers. The 8 inch woofer does a good job of reproducing very low frequencies - seemingly down to the almost inaudible range. It does not sound boomy at all. The installer used a computer program to calculate the dimensions and port size of the enclosure based on the manufacturer's volume recommendations. The sound also transmits well through the hatch floor, even with a cargo mat also in place. There is only a slight difference in volume level with the compartment door open or closed, and no sympathetic vibration.

The total cost for parts and labor was slightly less than $600. The custom enclosure and the speaker accounted for about half of the cost.