1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any major problem on your Prius after 3 or 4 years later?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KinwayTRD, Jul 24, 2007.

1. KinwayTRD

KinwayTRD New Member

I just bought a 2007 Prius and I am wondering if anyone has any major problem (transmission, hybrid batter...etc) with this car few years later. Please post it if you had any bad experience.

Thanks,

Ken

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There have been, as with any car, a few intermittent problems reported by various folks. But there have not been any significant patterns of problems of any of the major components. Some of us with '04s and early '05s have had issues with the MFD blanking out and there were some recalls and TSBs that needed to be done, but by the '06MY is seems that Toyota had all the 'kinks' worked out.

I'm at 62k miles and will hit the 4 years mark in October with my '04 and couldn't be happier.

3. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This August will be the two year mark with our 2005 Super White package 6. No problems here. Our model did require a steering linkage recall repair, but we never had any problems prior to or after the warranty repair. I'm at 64K miles and averaging around 50 MPG. I have just recently inflated my tires (MXV4's) from Costco to 36 / 34 front and rear. I used to keep them at 32 as recommended, but decided to inflate them just a little more and we went from 45-50 MPG to an average of 50 MPG. Right now the MFD displays 52.4 MPG on this tank, but overall it will be around 50 MPG by the next fill up.

About 85 -90 % of our driving is on the freeway with speeds averaging about 60 MPH. I drive 55-60 MPH in the early morning hours, but I am forced to drive 70 MPH on the return commute in the carpool lanes here in So Cal. If I could slow down on the way home, I'd bet I could average 53 or so MPG for the average tank.

This includes driving in the AUTO AC mode and just keeping it cool enough to feel the effects of air conditioning.

Good luck with your 07

Fast approaching my 100th post....whoo-hooo!!!!

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 24 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]484068[/snapback]</div>
    My main problem is that I spend to much time on PriusChat!

Tom

5. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When there is a major model change - ie. 2004, there are a few bugs, which have now been worked out, so 2006, 2007 should be fine.

I agree though- too much time on PriusChat.com!! grin.

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 05 pkg.#2 just passed 64k. No problems here. Each tank usually averages 50 mpg. It's just a terrific car!!!!!!!

7. ntmccoy

ntmccoy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2006 has 72,000 miles and since 48,000 miles I have been trying to fix the air conditioning - see my post about that. Not a pretty picture. Other than the air conditioning, no problems. I also had a 2004 for two years that was a rental and had no problems with that one.

8. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Holy Thread Revival! Um, this one is three years old.

Thanks for playing. :)

9. MuttleyHybrid

MuttleyHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 08 just turned 73,000 miles. I have owned it since 58,000 miles, and I have put those 15,000 miles on over the last 4 months. I am happy to report zero issues so far, and that includes zero freaky squeaks, dash rattles, suspension noises or strange wind sounds.

In comparison, my Mother In Law's 07 Saturn Aura 3.6 is suffering from steering clunks, and it only has 30,000 miles. She already had to have the front struts replaced. I have always beem impressed with Toyota's build quality.

I drive approximately 4,000 miles a month for work throughout the state of Michigan, so I should be a member of the 100,000 mile club sometime next year.:D

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The only major issue after 4 years, 4 months and 133k miles is I can't stop wanting to drive it again. I can't get bored of the unique combination of techniques available.

1 person likes this.
  11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've talked to a couple independent mechanics about the Prius. One said there are still bugs to work out and for some reason to wait 10 years to 'buy hybrid'. No specifics though, and I think he was mistaken.

The other mechanic said they have seen no major recurring problems with the Prius. Consumer reports also confirms the Prius as much better than average in reliability.

I'm not worried about reliability in this 2009 Prius. Besides, Toyota is so huge and has such a large dealer presence, they can fix whatever arises.

Can't say that about all brands. Mazda has one dealer between San Jose and Oakland, namely Fremont Mazda whose service bay has about 1 lift, and there are 2 service advisors that have desks in the small showroom. That is not a brand I will give my hard earned cash to. When the check engine light comes on, might be without car for days and there are no rental cars around.

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True. The Mazda USA website shows nine dealers within 50 miles radius of Fremont, CA but their dealer coverage is much better on the SF Peninsula. When I owned an RX-7 in the early 80's I usually went to Oak Tree Mazda in San Jose to buy parts.

13. A. B. Hair

A. B. Hair New Member

Rural area called Powdersville, 10 miles out of Gr
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have an 06 with the works (leather,GPS, Bluetooth,) It has all worked very well. My average mileage is about 47 and the dash calculation usually reads about 50. If this is a complaint, so be it. I love it and see no reason to trade for an 2011 as there is not enough difference at this time. The original tires had wair on the left front at 32K. I put a set of Michlean Primacy and they have 46K and they show good tread.
    I have 78K and will get 100K I hope!
    I do my own maintence and use Mobile 1 5-30.

14. Auntmimi

Auntmimi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 with under 20,000 miles on it and I was left stranded with the message:
    "Transmission Mechanism Locked," Drive to flat surface and set emergency brake to park. First the dealer changed the 12V battery $100 and now for $1000, it is possibly, the "shift lock actuator." I do have an extended warranty and I'm waiting for a phone call to see if that indeed fixed the problem and is my warranty taking care of it.

15. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my '04 in April of 2009 with ~48,500 miles on it. As of last fill-up I have 71,500 miles on it. My maintenance costs have been:

$376.36 - 4 tires
    $165.00 - Optima battery (not yet installed)
    $305.70 - 60K service (included brake resurfacing due to pits/rust)
    $224.49 - other (mostly oil change+filter/wiper blades)
    $1062.55 - Total

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We're coming up on 6 years (2005 bought picked up in Oct 2004). One set of tyres so far and a new 12V battery changed this past summer. Oh and the rear left taillight bulb has been replaced once a few years ago. I've now replaced both sides with red LED bulbs and they're much redder and slightly brighter.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That message sounds very familiar. It shows when your door is not all the way closed and the car is in Drive.

2 people like this.
  18. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I got a 2009 package 2 new and I have experienced a dead 12v battery on 2 occasions, and could not really figure out why, did some load testing and it tested low, when I have some extra $$ I will go for a better optima battery.

On one occasion driving away from work I got a red triangle with a !, and the ICE was not kicking in while driving, I could only accelerate off of the HV battery which I had a feeling was bad, even though I called the dealer they said to try to drive it over there. I said no thanks and called AAA for a tow.

I towed it to the dealer and they checked it out, they said that it was the throttle actuator? some carbon got in there and it was not opening properly?? It was covered under warranty and they paid for the rental car, but it freaked me out, they said it was strange for a such a new car (around 20k miles at the time, I think) but that they had seen it before, although also uncommon.

My MFD does not show the ICE when I am idling (in drive) and I can clearly hear and feel it running (but does show everything fine while driving), but that does not bother me all that much and may be accounted for by messing with the head unit and putting in an aftermarket.

That has been it for problems, I now have her up to 32k miles and the car is a freakin dream.

19. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm at 3.5 years and 33.5K miles. No major problems other than premature tire wear at about 20K. (I did get a warranty allowance from Goodyear.) Other than that, just oil changes so far.

I recently had got a little price jolt on body work for a little 1 MPH dent in the trunk. Because of the aluminum, most shops wanted to replace the whole shell, ranging from $1300 to $1500. I'm first going to try a repair. Seems like body shop costs have gone the way of medical costs.

20. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Totally normal. MFD only shows the ICE when it's delivering power to the wheels. If ICE is idling but power flow is the other way (regen) or none (glide) then ICE is not shown.