1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Mechanical Issues When Using ECO or PWR Full-Time

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SweetOzarksGirl, Mar 4, 2013.

1. SweetOzarksGirl

SweetOzarksGirl Drive 340 miles a day six days a week

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drive a lot for work, so the mileage is adding up fast. While reading about driving in ECO or PWR all the time, which is how I discovered this Forum, it got me thinking. Is anyone experiencing extra mechanical issues or more visits to the mechanic or additional break-downs from driving in ECO all the time or from driving in PWR all the time? I notice a lot of folks choose one of the two and use it exclusively and I wanted to ensure that it's not having a detrimental affect on the car.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Using one exclusively will not lead to more or less mechanical issues than switching between them as you please. All they really do is remap throttle response. The exception is Eco which will also make the fan speed operate lower.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    He is referring to the Air conditioning fan, not an engine fan.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since Toyota is THE buzz-kill car company....ECO is sticky...PWR is not.
    Therefore you can only run in PWR 'mostly' full time.

Mark and Jimbo are right though...other than premature button wear from using PWR all the time, there aren't going to be any mechanical issues from using either mode 'full time'.

I used to keep mine in ECO full time back when I went through my hypermiler phase...probably for the first few months I owned the car.
    Then....the I got over it and I've driven it like any other car for the remainder of my 2-1/2 years in type.
    I get from around 50 to 55 MPG depending on Wx and my mood.
    FWIW...using all ECO all the time will gain you a little extra cheese at the gas pump, and it doesn't really make a huge difference in the day-to-day drivability of the car.

Drive for a few tanks in each mode and decide for yourself!
    Good Luck!

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My understanding is that if PWR is 'sticky', they have to use it in EPA testing, so it isn't.

6. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There has been some discussion that PWR also remaps the valve timing. I run in ECO...it makes it a lot easier to manage the throttle.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

???
    I wonder why?
    Right now there are two sticky modes (for a G3) "normal" (or as close as we get) and ECO. Since "normal" is the default mode then I'd presume that this is the mode that they would...ah... "normally" use for testing.
    Along with my thirty-something years in the canoe club, I was a government contractor for 8 years. Not even the EPA would demand that an OEM use a mode that was labeled "PWR" as the default for testing when two other sticky modes are available. If this were true, then all the folks in Aichi would have to do is switch the labels. :D If they required a seperate test for each of the three default throttle maps....what would happen if there were 10 user-selectable modes? Or 100?
    Naaaah!
    This smells like a Toyota thing to me which is cool. I mean.....it's a Prius, right?
    We're lucky it HAS a PWR mode! :eek:

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used Eco for a few days to help with gas modulation (I try to use 2 settings only: end of Eco zone acceleration and zero power costing). No difference in MPG. I turned off today. I can't stand the green eco lamp and more wear and tear on my foot.

9. mnml

mnml Ain't nobody got time for that.

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's easier to control the throttle on regular mode. My foot gets tired having to keep the pedal pressed in ECO.

Mendel Leisk likes this.