1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any news on hybrid vans?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by AndyMartin826, Sep 12, 2007.

1. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Sep 13 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]512161[/snapback]</div>
    You are looking at a conservative Japanese company where decisions happen slowly - and probably in Tokyo. I understand that for at least the last year or two the #1 request from Toyota USA of Toyota Japan is to get a hybrid minivan into the US pronto. They are, I'm guessing, waiting for the next model redesign.

Not sure why, they released the Highlander hybrid late in the model life. Maybe they figure that by selling the Highlander into the bleeding edge of the hybrid market they can generate more revenue than if they sell what most seem to really want (i.e., a minivan). After all, the Sienna starts at $24k and tops out at $35. The Highlander starts at $27 and tops out at $40k for the hybrid. The cheapest hybrid Highlander - at $34k - is nearly as pricey as the most expensive Sienna. So you have to figure the Sienna hybrid will be cheaper by $3-$4k. The Estima would sell for even less. That's a lot of revenue to forgo and given there is no immediate hybrid minivan competition, Toyota will take the HiHy cash.

The risk is, since the Sienna is not due for a re-design until 2010-2011, Honda will likely beat Toyota to the punch w/ a high mpg minivan in 2009-2010 with a redesigned Odyssey.

In the meantime, I am in a holding pattern on replacing our aging Odyssey.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Highlander was 5 years into its life. The Hybrid would help sustain its life a little longer until they can get around to a redesign. It bought them 2 extra years. Not bad considering they also built two vehicles in one - the HiHy and the RXh.

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't expect a hybrid Sienna at least until the next Sienna redesign (2010-2011)
    In the meantime, on the Honda side,
    you will see this one very soon (2 rows, 5 passengers, small hybrid minivan) coming soon
    see here for pics
    Or, here for more pics
    Also, an Odyssey with 3.0L Clean Diesel is expected around 2010. It is "rumored" to be at least 30mpg (city).
    A 2.2L diesel is coming to CR-V, Accord of 2009 model year.
    MDX and Pilot (coming in May, 2008 as 2009 model) will get the 3.0L diesel around 2010 also.

I am also holding on to my '01 Odyssey until choices become clearer in the coming couple of years.