1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any news-press people out there?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Sep 23, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Last year, I saw journalism malpractice on an industrial scale. The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and Washington Post all had articles that 'buried the lead.' What this means is 3-4 initial paragraphs that were followed by a '. . . nothing was found . . .' A made up example:

<somebody> spoke in Philadelphia Thursday night and there was a killing three blocks away. The victim was stabbed viciously and died on route to the hospital. ...

(insert 2-3 paragraphs about stabbing and killings)

There is no evidence <somebody> was involved who was speaking at the time.

My question to professional journalist or those in the industry, is this the reporter or an editor?

The reason this came up is Rachael Maddow made a plea to support your local paper (or any paper.) I am OK with this the goal but gosh darn, last year there were so many bad examples.

Bob Wilson

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "Nothing was found" and "nothing exists" are not the same. What you're describing is essentially "click-bait" editing making its way to the print.

Journalism in print used to be so that you could scan the paper and get the gist of what is going on. Read the headline and 1-2 sentences, and you have an idea of the story, and if you're interested the details follow. By the time you were reading the paper, you had already handed over your dime or quarter or whatever.

Today they make money for each ad displayed, and the longer you're on the page or the more pages you go to, the more money they make. So if they put the whole story in the first few sentences, you wouldn't keep going.

This is not a mistake. This is deliberate.

It is not all their fault. People today are much less likely or willing to pay for journalism. It costs a lot of money and time for a journalist to spend months digging up details and connecting the dots playing detective for an as of yet unknown story. Months of work, 1 day of news. Maybe if it is biggest enough, a few days on the talk shows. But a story that just echo's what someone else did, that's free work and also makes 1 day of news. You can see where this is going. When your motives are profit, you need to optimize and that means you aren't doing hard hitting journalism.

This is why I love the BBC and CBC and such. They are funded by the people for the people. If they want to spend 4 months investigating Wth is going on, they can.

RCO likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks!

I have a paid subscription to the Guardian in large part because their stories don't "play games." I just have a hard time with the USA media that seems so shallow. I understand USA reporters and editors need a living too. Just I don't have the patience, any more, to post-edit, edit the USA news.

Bob Wilson

4. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ProPublica is willing to do reporting for the long haul. They're not click bait artists, although they do end up partnering w/USA Today (Gannett) at times. Good example was their car insurance redlining piece about prices being much higher for people in CA, IL, TX zips that are heavily minority.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm wearing clean clothes today.

No.....not because it's Monday, but rather because I have a closet full of clean clothes that I can wear.
    I clean my clothes with something called a washing machine because even though it's possible to take them to a nearby river and beat them on a rock, washing machines work better.
    We did not evolve out of the Stone Age because we ran out of rocks......

See also:

Buggy whip.
    Whale oil.

It's inconvenient for the people who make the buggy whips and Melville's harpooners, but there are winners too (horses and marine mammals for example.....)