1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any one else admit they've seen a UFO?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JSH, Apr 22, 2009.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    See UFO's? One of my amateur radio contacts has ... but only while working the low bands ... and wearing his tin foil hat.

[​IMG]

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It probably would work. I absolutely refuse to go into detail, but with just common household chemicals, you can make explosives. Hence the relative ease of nutjobs blowing up clinics and large outdoor events

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's surprisingly easy, especially if you don't value your own safety.

Tom

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For enforcement purposes, chemical discoloration and/or damage to the hands is a good tipoff

5. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    About 10 years ago camped beside a very large lake in Arizona.
    For about 30 minutes I watched a very large ,very slow flying vehicle over the lake.I could hear loud diesel engines from somewhere distant.
    The thing was probably like a blimp but it was pitch black and all I could see were the lights on it.
    There were 4 or5 red lights blinking in a circling pattern around the object.
    After a half hour of watching this thing the red lights shot away from the object in different directions at an astounding speed.
    My jaw dropped.What I assumed was a blimp with flashing lights was now unexplainable.
    There was a AirForce base in the area though.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Everything's explainable. "Unidentified" just means you have not identified/explained it yet.

There are thousands of cases where observers have used terms like "unexplainable." People say things like "This could not possibly have been anything originating on the Earth." Then some pesky scientist shows up and explains it as an unusual atmospheric refraction or the planet Venus.

Unfortunately, there are also a lot of cases where nobody bothers to investigate, or where there is not enough evidence to discover the answer. Or the observer had been eating wild mushrooms, or just plain lying to gain attention. Criminologists know that eyewitness testimony is the most unreliable kind of evidence.

Even a real space ship from the planet Zygothon would be explainable.

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That's too fun to pass up. One of the big discussion points in quantum mechanics is this very point. For example, a single neutron decays exactly 1.8756483 seconds after it was liberated from an atom. QM gives exact probabilities for decaying in some interval containing this time, but no explanations for why exactly this time. Two opposing points of view have emerged. One (favored by Einstein) stating that QM was an insufficient or incorrect theory and the other (favored by Bohr) stating that there is no explanations possible since the theory only can calculate probabilities. So far the QM opponents have not come up with an answer, nor anything that indicates an explanations is obtainable.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Of course, the figure you cite (assuming it is correct, which I will not dispute) would be an average. There's actually a probability curve.

We know that QM and Relativity are inconsistent with each other, and thus the search for the "Grand Unified Field Theory." My belief (and this is merely a belief) is that both Relativity and QM are correct as far as they go, but that under some extreme condition(s) other factors will come into play. Just as Newton's formulas are so good at ordinary velocities that they are still used for space shot calculations, and only provide wrong answers at very high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields, I expect that QM and Relativity will be reconciled in a manner that does not detract from the essential validity of either. And I expect that a Grand Unified Field Theory will indeed explain the numbers in QM

Note that I do not claim everything can be predicted. We know that certain data cannot be known beyond a certain (clearly stated and explainable) precision, and this gives rise to chaotic systems. But even chaos can be explained.

But of course, I know you are not disputing my assertion that alleged UFO sightings are all explainable, where sufficient information is available and someone is willing to devote the time and effort to investigate.

9. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The number I provided was just an arbitrary value of a measured decay of just one neutron. This was more of a slow day comment with little association with UFO explanations, which are not covered in QM. It was to point out that "explanations" are considered by some to be impossible in QM. Not my take necessarily, but fun to note.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  11. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have had two sightings, one unknown, the other suspected military experiments. The UFO was spotted one morning while taking a walk about 5:30 AM, as was my habit before work. It was tubular shaped, a beautiful green, the whole ship glowed, no flashing lights, flying just above the tree heights
    , twice the length of a C5. Total elapsed time was about ten seconds and then it disappeared beyond my local horizon ( the tree line ). No noise at all. The second sighting was at a military base I was visiting, while driving across the flightline, ( on the control road) myself and my passenger saw a flying box with a checkered paint pattern that is often seen on fliteline buildings, red and white squares, It was about the size of a car. At the time we were parrallel with the taxi apron and drove as quickly as possible toward the passenger terminal. When we finally arrived at the hanger area, nothing unusal was apparent. Since we were in a vehicle no engine noise was heard. No propeller, no means of propulsion apparent, altho obviously something was keeping it in the air. Just goes to show that there are things that are being worked on and developed by our military/ civilian complex. I could never figure out why the experiment was beng conducted in such a open manner and on a comparatively open base.

12. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I once saw an RC airplane that was a flying box. They cleverly put a beefy flying wing on the floor, the vertical sides served as the rudders and a flat top completed the box. The engine was recessed a little to keep it out of view. From the side it was an absolute perfect flying box. With an electric engine, you could make it rather quiet. Something like the link below.

13. Aunt Bee

Aunt Bee Returning Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A BIG "yes" to the UFO question. First time I saw one was when I was senior in highschool. My sister and I were out for a jog one night at the football field. Only a few other runners on the track. Strange flying object kind of cigar-shaped resembling GY blimp hovered over head. As flying object retreated, a new runner appeared (seemingly out of nowhere on the football field. Running hard and methodically and in a dressed full business suit. He looked more like an accountant than a marathon man. Don't know if this alien came out of the UFO or if he was just some stressed-out business man out for a run after work but my sister and I the other runner hightailed it out of there.

Sometime after, I remeber reading a news article about various sightings reported by others around that same night.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay, the flying doghouse is cool! Thanks for posting that.