1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any one else getting more than 30 per charge?

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Toyotaisme, May 20, 2017.

1. BobInCT

BobInCT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Update - I just broke 30. What I think, though unproven, is that the warmer weather which we've finally gotten here in Connecticut seems to affect the charging. While it was still in the 40's and 50's the max charge didn't seem to change much but in the last couple of weeks it's gradually been climbing. I put 55 miles a day on the car and charge it at each end of my commute so it's getting plenty of exercise and I'm now able to make the whole commute on battery where before I could only make it to within a couple of miles of my work.

#161 BobInCT, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2017
    HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mr. BobinCt,
    I was getting an easy 35 to 37 miles of EV range by driving like a crippled snail.
    The ambient temperature was in the high 60s low 70s. HOWEVER , now that we're in the low 90s, scratching at 100+,
    I turn on the A/C with surprising results:
    I'm being penalized at least 2.7 miles of EV range on a starting estimate of 36.1 EV only range. I don't play the HV/EV switch game, I just run on straight EV most of the time, and have set car to POWER mode, which is fun when car goes to ICE mode. More info: 80% of my driving has been chosen as surface street, so I can keep speed in the 40mph range, and not get in the way. If someone's behind me, I either move over or speed up, I've had no problems with other cars. A lot of freeway driving where I am, is fairly slow, 40-55, due to heavy traffic, but it does keep moving and I enjoy the terrific mileage. Stop & Go does kill mileage; I get better results with steady 50-55, than Stop & Go 35mph. Good luck, and hope this helps!

3. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My EV stats were about 34.7 until I went across country. Every day I would charge my battery at the motel I stayed at, then go on the highway in EV mode accelerating to 65, 70, or 76 MPH. I did this from May 29th to June 6th or so. EV would end at about 14 miles before ICE kicked in. So when I ended my vacation and went back to just short trips around town. My EV range was 22 miles. It's slowly inching back up to 25 or so miles.

yoyoman and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  4. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    and it will continue to climb up to ~ where it was before your trip assuming your driving pattern is the same incl ac use ... I've observed similar

5. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Some interesting phenomenon that I've noticed since it's gotten very hot here in Southern California. I have not made any radical changes in my driving style or the streets that I generally drive. I've noticed that when I charge my car now, it indicates it will take two and a half hours to charge whereas in the past it would take 1 hour and 50 minutes. When I sit in the garage with my car turned on, I turn on the AC, it gets me a hit of 2.9 miles EV range loss from 36.1!
    In the past, the drop in range was about 1.4 miles lost. Also of interest, you can "earn" back your range if you drive like a crippled snail! Never a dull moment!. If you ever are late for your Father's Day lunch like I was, and are caught in huge traffic like I was, and decide to quickly dodge peasants like I did, you'll be thrilled by the EXCELLENT slaloming capabilities of this great car!! WOW!!

6. BobInCT

BobInCT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My travel is mostly highway and I try to keep it at roughly 65. I too don't play any games and just keep it on EV at all times. The miles I'm referring to are what the total says after charging is complete, it hit 30.0 this weekend. Driving in this morning still ended up running out just when I got to the parking garage so even if it says 30 it isn't quite making it for my 27.5 mile commute though on some days I have a mile or two left over, go figure. I keep the AC on auto so I'm sure that has an effect and this morning I had the rear window defroster on because humidity is high today and it was all fogged up. I don't know if that has a bearing on EV miles or not. Anyway, it's so close that I'm really not worried about it. I still have 3/8 of a tank from the original dealer fill up...

7. Paul.Ivancie

Paul.Ivancie Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I did not dispose of my workhorse 2006 Prius (trim level 6, with added trailer hitch) when I bought my new blue Prius Prime one month ago.
    I have not babied the old green mare for the 284,000 miles that I clocked up. My son is now driving my new car's stablemate and is adding about 400 miles per week to that total.
    I have managed to keep the moss from growing under the new Prime's feet by driving about 3,000 miles, so far, with about 2200 of those miles burning pure gasoline (no Ethanol.) The remainder of those miles, of course, were grid-powered.
    The 800 miles should have required about 160 KW hours of charging (at my car's average of 5 miles per KWH.)
    At 10 cents per KWH, that is about $16.00 of electricity, equivalent to about 7 gallons of gas at $2.25 per gallon.
    I have purchased 31.43 gallons of gasoline so far.
    If I divide 3,000 by 38.43, the result is 78.06 miles per gallon.
    The car's computer does not take into consideration any external fuel sources when it calculates its perceived MPG.
    So... divide the 3000 by 31.43 to yield 95.45 miles per gallon. The car is reporting 102 MPG.
    I am guessing that the dealership did not stand by the pump and nudge the last possible drop of fuel down the filler like I do.
    In fact, if I should allow the automatic shut-off to determine the maximum fill level, it stops usually with almost two gallons to go. I have found this to be the case through hundreds of fill-ups with my old car. So, I assume that my car was delivered with 2 gallons less than a full tank.
    So... one more calculation: 3000 divided by 29.43 yields 102 MPG. Coincidence? I don't think so...
    I am very satisfied with the results so far. I think that the practicality of Plug-In Hybrids is proven by these figures.
    Of course, my data is anecdotal at best, but I am convinced. Once I cease these 380-mile jaunts that I have been taking as I shuttle between two homes that I own, the ratio of gasoline-powered to EV miles driven will go way down, and the overall MPG will take off for sure.
    If all grid-powered miles are removed from consideration, my pure gasoline-powered MPG check in at about 75. Not too shabby!
    BTW my EV miles are pretty steady at 32 (with AC).

#167 Paul.Ivancie, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  8. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    June 19, 2017 28.4 miles EV:D

9. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Finally was able to make my morning commute (35.9 miles) with EV only and had 1.9 miles left. 37.7 EV miles total before ICE kicked in on my way home. This was only the 3rd time I have been able to do it. The temp was 78°. :D

10. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "Crippled snail" -- now, there's an image! And yeah, I admit it, pretty much how I drive, unless of course I have to merge, etc.

A few days ago, on YouTube, a video whose title was of the nature of "why do Prius driver's drive that way?" came up, but I didn't actually watch it. I presumed it was about us driving ultra-conservatively, but I looked it up, and found a lot of videos to the effect that we think we're "entitled," if you catch my drift, because we're saving the planet.

So, looks like we've really got a rep...

iPhone ? Pro

#170 mr88cet, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  11. BobInCT

BobInCT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So you're charging your Prime from 220 while I'm using 110 since I'm in a condo and even being able to charge at all is by pure luck - one of the spare parking slots is right next to my rear deck. I wonder if that makes a difference -- I'll have to try charging from one of the public spots downtown.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're spot on. i just hit 14.2 in the pip, highest this year. unfortunately, we've gone right from heater use to a/c.

makes a difference in charging time? absolutely. makes a difference in total charge and/or ev driving distance available? nope.

#172 bisco, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2017
  13. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I believe that the increase in charge time on my 220V home charger from 1 hr 50 min to 2 hrs 30 min is caused by my saying yes to allowing system to run cooling when car is charging. There must be a drop in available charging energy to provide for cooling. This is when I charge from 0 EV miles left and the new environment is 90° or more.

14. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    you need to get a Juice Plug:D

15. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What is the default setting for allowing a/c during charging? Occasionally, I see that dialog pop up when turning off the car, but it goes away before I can do anything. It is not obvious from the dialog what the current setting is (if you do nothing). There is a white-on-black box and a black-on-white box, and also dotted lines around one box, but I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, and it disappears in a couple of seconds. Is that dialog box available from somewhere the settings menus, or is it only visible when turning off the car? I found an option among the charging options to turn on heating while charging, but not one for cooling.

#175 CharlesH, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  16. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't think there's any default setting, it pops up when the cabin temperature reaches a predetermined temperature, when it pops up again try to select the < arrow on the steering wheel then press the middle of the control before the message goes away. (located on the right hand side of the steering wheel)

17. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    you could say that the default is NO cause the only way to enable it is by performing some action ... and i don't understand the logic about not having a setting for this in the menu, but ... i even set it to yes when i get home at night and i have the charge departure time set for 7:30am ... i guess we need to invite the japans engineers to experience some summer temps :cool::cool:

18. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Kinda repetitious to set it to "yes" then setting a departure time with the option to set climate prep. don cha think?:confused:

HPrimeAdvanced, joachimz and dalcon95 like this.
  19. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    They are different. Climate prep is for the cabin and battery and the battery cooler quick message is for the battery only. :)

20. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So is there a heating and cooling system for the battery that is separate from the cabin? I thought that they just pulled in cabin air through the vents in the back seat.:confused: