1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

any other Toyota Hybrids of current models coming?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by markabele, Oct 24, 2012.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Think we will ever see a Sienna hybrid? What about a Tundra?

What about other current models that don't currently have a hybrid option?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    orig vision I think was yes hybrid as option for each model. Not sure if it still is vision.
    Really need a greener minivan...mine is as low as 12 MPG (avg 17) and was supposed to be 20 MPG.
    Not sure if Sienna would have been better MPG. At least give us the mild hybrid approach.

3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear what you are saying but if they can do a hybrid on the Highlander that does pretty great I don't know why they couldn't on a Sienna or Tacoma.

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    They can definitely do a hybrid version of those vehicles. The question is does the Highlander hybrid do great?

October 2012 Dashboard | Hybrid Cars
    It looks like it will get about 6000 sales this year. I don't think that is great, so it is an expensive option. It does share its hybrid system with the lexus RXh, which looks like it will get about 12,000 per year. That luxury SUV hybrid market looks like its willing to pay the price, but it is doubtful the minivan crowd will.

The highlander hybrid gets 28/28 versus 18/24 but the expolorer ecoboost gets 20/28. Will the better gas mileage make up for the extra $8K you spend on the hybrid? I would say toyota totally needs to revamp the hybrid system for the sienna to make it less expensive. I'm sure they are working on that, but neither the camry hsd (too low power) or highlander hsd (too expensive) will work. The camry hsd would likely work in the venza and Rav4 with a more powerful battery.

The taco is rwd and needs towing capacity. Toyota and Ford are working on this hybrid system together, but I doubt we will see it implemented before 2016.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^yeah Highlander hybrid is very expensive. It was one of the first cars I looked at at Cash 4 Clunkers. But I was trying for <$25K and that was the lowest trim Highlander; hybrid version was probably $15K more than that. We need a mini-van in the Prius V cost range and the hauling design is that 4x8 plywood fits in. I couldn't get Sienna in C4C because it is rated 19 MPG, I needed 20.