1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any PA residents that purchased new out of state on here? Need some help (I bought in Maryland)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by sps, Sep 10, 2021.

1. sps

sps New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I can't get any information on what is happening with my title/registration. The dealer said they sent the information along. The auto tags business hasn't seen anything with my name on it. The inspection garages say they can't do an inspection and give me the two stickers without a PA registration and plate. PennDOT's website says I need to have it inspected within 10 days of bringing it to PA, but when I call them they say they don't know and "don't deal with inspection stuff."

Beyond needing the inspection sticker for legal reasons, I need it to start doing some of side gig work which I'm doing to supplement my salary and pay off the car early (1 or 2 extra principal payments a month) and save for maintenance.

I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone, so I am dumbfounded as to where to get help. Thanks!

2. pharmdtg

pharmdtg New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I just bought a 2020 PP in Maryland as well as other cars to bring back to Pennsylvania. I’m not sure if you are getting a new tag or transferring a old one (I always transfer to save a couple of bucks). Anyways, you are fine on just the Maryland Temp tag in PA until your registration comes in. Once your registration comes in you can put your plate on the car, then you must get the car inspected within 10 days. Your title usually shows up within a month if the car is paid in full, otherwise the title goes to your lien holder until paid off and they’ll mail it to you.

3. DukeofPrime

DukeofPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Not in PA (IL), but I'm still waiting on my license / registration from a Maryland purchase in May. Apparently, the dealer worked with a 3rd party that is supposed to do the out of state paperwork. After 3 months, they told me they dropped their old service and are restarting with a new one because of "issues". They have sent me 3 temporary tags so far (some 30 day, some 60 day). My credit union sends me a letter every month asking where their title is, but so far, nothing bad has happened.

4. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm in PA. I bought my Prius Prime in NJ. The dealer in NJ had a agreement with PA tag agency to process the registration and tags in PA.
    I just transferred a new car I bought in FL to PA. I have some experience with this process.

You have to ask the dealer where they sent your bill of sale information. Which PA tag agency? Sounds like the dealer hasn't sent it to anyone if they've given you the name of the PA tag agency and the tag agency has no record of it being received.

It took longer than I expected to get the two cars I transferred from out of state registered in PA. You have to be patient but definitely follow up with dealer that sold the car to you.

If you have a temporary registration from Maryland, that should be ok to use without a PA state inspection until it expires.

5. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ask the dealer whats up.

I live in PA and purchased in MA, a fiasco it was.

Long story short, the dealer refunded tax/reg fees and let me do it myself....after I hounded them everyday.
    They wanted to go with a 3rd party transfer service which they said would take a month or more...I said no way jose!

It took 20 mins next door at a PA notary.

6. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I bought my car in Rhode Island and registered it in PA. There were no issues.

7. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced