1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Pics of installed after market gps?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by stanleyjohn, Sep 19, 2006.

1. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My brother is picking up his new prius#3 tommorrow.Hes looking to get a nav for it soon.Anyone have any pics of their installed gps so he can get an idea how it would look?

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    thanx for the pics fellow prius owners.Hes not sure on what to get yet.Anything from the more portable units like you have,to a in the dash unit like the pioneer navs.From what i can tell!i think he would like a bigger screen,but dont really know how it would look on the dash.

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I used to think a big screen was mandatory too. Before my first StreePilot, I was very concerned about the size of the screen not being anywhere near big enough. Then I got one, and life was good. I love having it portable. I put a base in each car, and can put it in whichever car we take... and can take it when we fly, and pop it into the rental car. Can't do that with a built-in one... and that's the main reason I didn't pay for the Prius Nav.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here's a pic of a screen installed in the cubby below the stereo. For in-dash, that would be the ideal place to put it. I don't think there are too many models that would allow you to have the unit right in the pocket and still be able to close the door cover. My previous lcd unit stuck out about 3/4". The current one mounts a bit deeper and it is flush with the stereo when closed. Still can't have the cubby door mounted, though. The screen needs to be installed another inch in. It's all about how far the screen comes out before it flips back.

[​IMG]

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, under the stereo is too far down. I like having mine near
    the sightline to the road, so I can use the GPS to see what's coming
    in unfamiliar territory -- such as, is there a sudden stop sign
    beyond that curve I can't see around? With the GPS there, I've got a
    better chance of planning ahead and getting all my regen on the stop.
    _H*

8. mkurasinski

mkurasinski New Member

Thanks everyone for the pics. I am the brother thats picking my car up today...Anyone in CT have any recomendations and pics of the GPS system installed proffecionally and where they had it done?

9. benlenz

benlenz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Sep 19 2006, 05:44 PM) [snapback]321976[/snapback]</div>

Here's mine in another thread . . . .

http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=340423

10. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's my install of the Garmin GVN 52, integrated with the factory MFD:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=24435&st=0
    It works great, except you have to use a remote instead of touchscreen, although I think touchscreen is in the works. I love the large, factory-installed looking screen! :D

11. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Sep 19 2006, 08:57 PM) [snapback]322020[/snapback]</div>
    I liked your setup and since you too are from CA you are not breaking the law as its not attached to the windsheild. Does the placement obstruct your view of the road though? Also are you or were you concerned about gluing the platform to the dash?

12. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  13. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

[attachmentid=5731]<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Sep 19 2006, 08:57 PM) [snapback]322020[/snapback]</div>
    This is the way I went....I puchased a clip to hold my GPS to the dashboard (www.ProClipUSA.com) and a separate holder for my GPS. Mine is the MagellanRoadMate2000 (Costco, $349). Clip especially designed for the Prius snaps onto dashboard making no holes and no use of tapes. Adapter fits the back of the Magellan like it was made for it.

The differnce between my arrangement and Hobbit's is my GPS is smaller, screen is 3.5 inches square with no extra body. It fits very nicely between the START button and the screen. (See photo attached). It does however sit a wee bit closer to the driver than Hobbits but it does not block any instruments or controls.

When I leave the car I simply pull up on the GPS, it slips off the Dual-T bracket and I put it in center console.

I'll take some photos and post them next week. This arrangement will work with any GPS providing you order the correct adaptor.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roger3125 @ Nov 20 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]352383[/snapback]</div>
    Here is the adapter which comes with and without a swivel portion.

Attached Files:

14. ched1968

ched1968 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Sep 19 2006, 10:35 PM) [snapback]322051[/snapback]</div>
    Just wondering I noticed that your Prius is Pkg.6 and I saw the Map button,I assume yours have the Navigation, How come you still installed aftermarket GPS? :blink:

15. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ched1968 @ Nov 21 2006, 03:41 AM) [snapback]352426[/snapback]</div>
    The 2006 Package #6 did NOT have Navigation, just the button for it.