1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Prii Peeps have Lyme Disease, like me? =(

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by J5A, Jul 18, 2011.

1. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After recent vacationing on Nantucket for two fantastic weeks (and finding a deer tick on my bee-hind), I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease last week. It's not been too bad, except for the bulls-eye rash, overall run-down feeling, quick to fatigue and dizziness. I'm on 21 days of Minocin, which is no picnic either. Just really glad this was caught early.
    Anyone else have experience with this? :(

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not personally, but I am very happy for you that you caught it early, when it is fully treatable.

I had a friend that wasn't even correctly diagnosed for over two years - and at the time, there was no real treatment.

1 person likes this.
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 3 close friends who have/had it. Two of them caught it early like you. The 3rd caught it mid way in severity so he is mostly ok.

I'm very happy you caught it early and are being treated. It's a horrible disease.

1 person likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it. we moved to tick central 7 years ago without knowing it. my wife got it and was treated after a few weeks. 30 days of something or other. she's good now although you wonder if any of the arthritis is leftover from it.
    i got sick not long after but the test came back negative so they wouldn't treat me. i was sick on and off for three years, with a myriad of symptoms. i'm pretty well now but still some left over ailments. glad you found it early, all the best!

1 person likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How long was it from finding tick (vacation) to diagnosis?
    I got one on me last year doing yard work here in Virginia.
    After a week, I thought bite was getting red but doctor (nurse I think) said it was not a definite case. Their policy here was no anitbioitcs unless it got worse or patient insisted, which I insisted. It was tetracycline I think. This was the first small deer tick I ever saw. No after-effects so far, unless posting on PC is one symptom.

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you're not happy with your progress using conventional therapy, I suggest looking into ultraviolet blood irradiation (UBI). A good website on the topic is Physicians UBI Awareness Center

7. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    wjtracy, this was the first deer tick I had ever seen, too, and I grew up in the Northeast. Before that I was only familar with those fugly, bloated dog ticks.
    I discovered the tick the morning of June 28th and the rash appeared exactly 14 days later. In denial, I thought it was a bad mosquito bite. Day two, the rash tripled in size. Thank goodness for Google images because I was able to identify its bullseye characteristics and discover I needed to make a doctor's appt asap.
    I've read only 80% of rashes emerge in Lyme cases, so I feel very lucky.
    I'm pretty sure the tick was only on me for max 8 hours since I found it in the morning, and it wasn't bloated. The standard latch time to transmit is typically minimum 36-48 hours, re: the studies and findings. I guess this one was really determined to get me.
    The doc on base was really great (I'm sure it helped I saved the little bugger and had a nasty rash). I was a little worried he'd raise his eyebrows with unfamiliarity being in Ohio, but he knew the course of treatment. He said the only other Lyme case on base all year was from a guy that recently transferred from Groton, CT.

I'm currently watching Under Our Skin on Netflix. It's a documentary on Lyme disease.

Sorry to hear about your wife, bisco; it's bad stuff.

ETA: Thanks for the link RobH. I'll be sure to keep it saved.

8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That sucks big time.

back in early/mid 90s after picking 14 deer ticks after mountain bike ride (statistically 1 out of 7 is infected) I went ahead and had a Lyme Disease vaccination (that was way before it had been taken off market and class lawsuit filed against). Not sure if it did any good, and if it protected me in any way or caused more harm; good luck
    =============================
    just pulled this info on vaccine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease#Vaccination

so it had been ~1998-2000..

1 person likes this.