1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Prius specific considerations for doing a coolant flush?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zalupix, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Zalupix

Zalupix New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replaced the water pump, lost a bit of coolant. Don't feel like topping off the red, I want to throw the pink SLL stuff in instead so I'm replacing both the engine and inverter coolant. Need to do a coolant flush, solely with distilled water (no flush chemicals). Any special considerations for a 2nd gen prius outside normal stuff? Also, do I need to bleed every time I do a flush? I want to fill and drain with the water at least four or five times just to make sure the coolant mixture doesn't gel, does every drain fill cycle require a bleed, or should I just drain fill 5-7 15min cycles and bleed once I got the actual coolant in it?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Any of that'll work fine this should be the least of your problems with the Gen 2 Is anything to do with the coolant system other than the water pump failing and then of course you lose some coolant so everybody figures I might as well drain it all and put some new perfect other than that you don't need to do anything special no additives no special coolant the engine doesn't require it the coolant is never under much load It's a great setup No need to overthink any of it because not a lot is going on in there water moving around to a radiator and a thermostat through a heat jacket to make heat fast by right other than the water pump failing system should last forever even the radiator don't ever put anything in it except: and/or some water.