1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any prius that is NOT a hatchback?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by joni, Mar 27, 2007.

1. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarkMN @ Mar 27 2007, 03:59 PM) [snapback]413141[/snapback]</div>

I guess it depends on how much money you make. I'm 21 and make $2,600 a month. A value car to me would be the Prius base model at $18,000. I love the hell out of that car, but there's no denying that hybrids (well, cars in general) are too expensive.

And I agree with the hatchback statement. I always hated the look of it, and never in my life would I have bet I would be driving a car with a hatch, but ever since the 2004 Prius came out, I've grown to love it...Actually, I think I just love Prii.

2. jeneric

jeneric New Member

I hadn't thought about the hatchback aspect when we bought it, but it's come in so handy on so many trips. I don't know how we could have made the trips without it. We would have had to take the van. Also we have a tent that hooks onto the back that comes in quite handy.

And tooling around town, I think the trunk cover makes it pretty sedan-like.

[attachmentid=7124]

Attached Files:

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeneric @ Mar 27 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]413192[/snapback]</div>
    That tent looks awesome! Where'd you find it?!

4. jeneric

jeneric New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Mar 27 2007, 03:54 PM) [snapback]413201[/snapback]</div>
    Originally, I believe it came from Cabelas.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My first two cars were hatchbacks: Ford Pinto and Nissan 200SX.

Then I bought a Saturn SC2 coupe.

I hated that trunk. Compared to my hatchbacks it didn't hold spit.

So one of the huge selling points for the Prius for me was the hatchback. I just love this one. The best design ever. The Nissan was stupid because the hatch only lifted from the window up so I had to lift stuff OVER the tail. Totally stupid.

I will never give up my hatchback. If they ever redesign the Prius to do away with the hatch, I'll buy the last model with a hatch produced and I'll drive it until I die, repairing as needed. (Unless someone comes up with an EV HATCHBACK of course.)

The tonneau cover is fine. They can break into a hatchback as easily as a trunk. Just because they can't see what's inside doesn't mean they won't break in anyway on the off chance they'll get lucky. The Prius has plenty of gread hiding places. The front lower drawer for little stuff and under the cargo area for bigger stuff.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Mar 27 2007, 05:54 PM) [snapback]413201[/snapback]</div>
    You can get a Sportz Dome-to-Go for the Prius. It's not water-proof so only for light camping with no wind or rain to speak of. But it offers privacy and some protection.

Sports Authority has them for $159 with free shipping. You might even avoid sales tax depending on what state you're in.

Sports Authority's Sportz Dome-to-go

[​IMG]

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i was also very hesitant about the hatchback for that same reason.

then i realized not only do i have pretty much nothing of any value that i would ever leave in the car (the laptop, the second most $$ object i own aside from the car, never stays unattended unless locked up at work or in my house), but that hatchback is insanely useful.

if i could only list the things i've hauled in this car that my last car (big freakin' buick sedan) could not have handled... but i'm not gonna take that much time :p most notably, a portable dishwasher, our coffee table, and a 5-drawer dresser. separately of course!

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've carried an overstuffed leather club chair and matching ottoman home from Target.

I've also carried a vintage singer sewing machine IN the cabinet with the matching bench home from Los Angeles.

I've returned unused 8 ft 2x4s to home depot. And brought home 8 ft 2x6s.

The fact that the hatch opens with the floor of the cargo area flush out the back to the bumper makes it insanely practical. The hatch gives it the height to really pack it if you go up. And because it's a hatch and not a trunk, you can do things like slide an overstuffed leather club chair all the way in and still fit the ottoman in. Without using the front seat.

I've put some very large ceramic pots with 5 gal plants in the back as well.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeneric @ Mar 27 2007, 12:09 AM) [snapback]412783[/snapback]</div>
    I can't tell if you're joking or not cause that's one small German Shephard if it fits under the front seats or under the front cupholders (how'd it get "under" it in the first place :blink: )

10. jeneric

jeneric New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 27 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]413401[/snapback]</div>
    Using lower case letters didn't give away that I don't really believe in it? :)

11. R1200GS

R1200GS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the new camry's are pretty sweet looking IMHO. i saw a hybrid breed the other day. very nice.

12. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ Mar 27 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]412944[/snapback]</div>

How'd you manage to pay only $17,500? :blink:

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(R1200GS @ Mar 28 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]413663[/snapback]</div>
    Can hybrids only breed with other hybrids?

Or can they breed with conventional cars? If so, do they produce viable offspring?

:p

14. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clintd555 @ Mar 28 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]413709[/snapback]</div>
    It was a used 2005 with about 63,500 miles on it.
    The dealers really didn't know much about it (they were from Infiniti) they probably could have charged $5,000 more with it having the highest premium available that year. I was a little hesitant on buying it, and it still kind of bothers me, because of the mileage, but for that price I had to do it. I've wanted a Prius since I graduated High school, and they were the only people who would finance it for me without a co-signer...Toyota said they'd do it for a new car, but with something like a 25% interest rate, no way to that.

15. Reverse Engineer

Reverse Engineer New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Before getting a Prius I used to drive a Camaro hatchback. Some would think of these as being totally opposite vehicle types. But they're both very practical for hauling couches, 2x4s and other large items when the rear seats are folded forward. And they both have great highway fuel economy, largely due to excellent aerodynamics. I can't imagine buying anything other than a hatchback. A two-door version of the Prius hatchback would be nice though.