1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Radio Antenna Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Jack Cannon, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Jack Cannon

Jack Cannon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi All:

I am considering an "Ultimate Prius V Car Cover" from CarCovers.com. It doesn't accommodate the short "pole" antenna which is standard equipment. The company includes a "patch" in their shipment that can be used to cut a hole in their cover and then apply the patch where necessary. Has anyone had an alternative antenna installed, like a "Shark Fin" or "Flat" antenna?

I called my local dealer and they said the stock antenna (pole type) was part of the radio and nothing to date has arrived to modify that standard equipment. Any one know of an Prius Vs with shark fin or flat radio antennas?

2. CCM

CCM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

[​IMG]
    PriusChat Shop : Toyota Prius v Shark Fin Antenna [Shark_Fin_v] - $82.00$78.00

3. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yup. Plenty of us have installed the Shark Fin antenna. Works great, looks better than the OEM, and an easy install.

4. mike Hilton

mike Hilton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could you tell me how easy to install and does it involve removing roof lining?Any advice would be appreciated.

5. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Very simple install. All you do is unscrew antenna. Screw in new antenna which is under shark fin. Clean around the antenna area and use the blue 3m tape to properly align. Remove plastic covering the adhesive and install using your alignment tape. Shark fin will go right over the other antenna after you screw new one in.

6. mike Hilton

mike Hilton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your quick response. It's appreciated. I don't think the Prius chat shop will mail to the United Kingdom so will have to try from eBay (uk). Do you recommend any particular make / model. Thanks again.
    Mike

7. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The only thing that stopped me from making the purchase are the numerous complaints of reception loss. I hope there are improvements to come.

STEELJBS likes this.
  8. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    There are many other posts which say that the shark fin has no effect on reception. I've been very satisfied with mine.

9. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Before making the installation final, I did a comparison using weak distant stations with both the original and the shark fin antennas. There was no difference. The weak stations didn't get any better or any worse.

STEELJBS and ftl like this.
  10. 1Prius4u2NV

1Prius4u2NV New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    does shark fin affect GPS or SAT radio or do they work off a different antenna somewhere else?

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Shark fin does not effect SAT or GPS, but it DOES impact distant reception on FM. If you are within 10 miles of the transmitter I am sure you will have no problem.