1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any reason to buy anything else but a Model 3?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by kenji4861, Nov 15, 2017.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    @hill Usually I agree with you, but where is the evidence they will compete on infrastructure? And lip service doesn't count. You know well enough that lip service from any of these companies is near worthless.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    THAT's the great chicken & egg dilemma .... EV's 1st - or chargers A handful of us see cars on the road .... but no one's posting anything about any construction permits/ land leasees / monster transformer orders etc for their needed infrastructure. Following tesla growth (slow) over the first 2 years, the supercharger network began, but it in no way outpaced car production. VW, on the other hand, has to pony up billions in EV infrastructure costs due to the huge dieselgate fines. So their infrastructure creation is like someone holding a gun to their head. The fines in a way are a form of evidence that it's coming. Sure, it may be a slow process like Tesla's was, but Porsche's product - if the sales are there, may hopefully push infrastructure along just as Tesla sales eventually began to do.

3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Porsche is gearing up with new dealerships, the newly open Irvine location is like Disneyland!

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My reservation remains in spite of the new delivery delays, so I am keeping an open mind. In the many photos I've seen so far, front-end views simply aren't aesthetically appealing.

5. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, some of the photos, taken with potato cameras, are not particularly complimentary. If you haven't done so, see the car in person. It takes on a whole new character. If you like the Panamera front end, you will like the model 3 front end in person. I didn't like the Prius Gen III design at first, but it grew on me.

My reservation has just been pushed back by as much as 3 months. That is okay with me, since Tesla will have more time to update software and work out the kinks in a new design. Good things happen to those who wait.

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  7. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, there's a lot of hype in the industry, but tesla is the only one moving forward, with nissan lagging way behind.

padroo likes this.
  9. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Said it before, will say it again and again I'm sure....charging infrastructure is EVERYTHING. The problem is, it's extremely hard for people to understand this until they live with an EV for a while.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    for long term adoption rates, i agree. fortunately, there are third party installers as well. someday, the government might get a clue.
    for now, many of us will be happy just charging at home.

padroo likes this.
  11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the near future you might choose your hotel by whether it has a charging station or not.

These hotels will offer you a continental breakfast, free internet and a free charge. lol

Why hotels are charging up for electric vehicles | JLL Real Views

Kind of like the field of dreams movie, "If we build it they will come".

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, that would be perfect for traveling. we're tied into marriott, and they are way behind the curve, even though they are mentioned in the article, i have never seen a charger on property. someone mentioned a couple in san diego, i think. might have to switch allegiance someday.

padroo likes this.
  13. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have you ever been on a trip and not being able to find gasoline even crossed your mind. I had it happen once two weeks after Katrina hit we were on vacation and were headed toward Pensacola Florida and the word was gas supplies were interrupted over a large area. Louisiana was the state most think about when you mention hurricane Katrina but hey we were in Florida right. We had zero trouble getting gas in Pensacola and I should have filled up first thing in the morning but I had enough gas to last until it was time for lunch so I thought I will fuel up then. We left Pensacola as planned and got out on that barrier island that runs along the gulf and headed east. I started looking for gas but the first gas station was closed, no big deal. Drove a little farther and that station was closed. We stopped at an IHOP and the waiter said Walmart down the road always had gas and they did.

The moral of this story is that when the infrastructure for EV is at the point you don't have to even think about it the EV wins.

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Around here, the Chevy, BMW, Nissan, VW and Tesla dealers have charging stations. As a matter of fact, the Chevy parts manager told me that just the other day, he came in early and there was a woman that had her Leaf plugged in while she was drinking her coffee and reading a book, even though the Nissan dealer was less than a mile further down.

15. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me know how that 6 kW charger works out on a long road trip. Even the DC fast stations that Chargepoint has are only up to 50kW. That's not acceptable for longer road trips.

el Crucero likes this.
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Reports are in. Model 3 charges the lower 45% (then it begins to taper) at 116kW's. Back-of-the-napkin, that's about a 150 miles in 15 minutes! Sweet!

iplug, markabele and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    And that's why I have a Volt.

18. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, a plug in makes a ton of sense, especially until the charging infrastructure gets much better....and/or Tesla's get cheaper (and more available)

19. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Tesla clearly has the best DC charging network - speed and options. Whats’s more, they can use other networks like CHAdeMO with an adapter. Not sure if they have a CCS adapter yet.

Personally, my long range driving limit is 400 miles and much prefer to fly longer distances. The Midwest and South is a no-go, but CHAdeMO is pretty robust on the west coast so a 2018+ Leaf is a good one car household vehicle option for some. Bolt may work for others. That’s only one doable DC charge in each direction (eat, pit stop, etc) and easy destination charging on the other end.

20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, Tesla's EV sales are 100% of their business, so they don't have much of a choice in building an infrastructure.;)