1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any reason to buy anything else but a Model 3?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by kenji4861, Nov 15, 2017.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No Model 3's near SFO

Find unique cars for rent nationwide

Shows 1 model 3 as of 1/25/18 at LAX for $237 a day, but better kick that price up 50% to get premium protection. check your insurance. My CSAA does NOT cover rentals owned by individuals.

Find unique cars for rent nationwide

#161 cycledrum, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry just read this today. Too bad I missed the event on the 27th. I would have loved to have been wowed! Did see a white one driving around Fountain Valley. I just can't get past the front end, it just looks bad in my eyes. It's much smaller looking too.

3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And that coming from someone who drives a 'rat nosed front end' Prius (and I drive one too)! :D Beauty is definitely in the eyes of the beholder. But what is not in the eyes of the beholder is the amount of hydrocarbons dispensed in the atmosphere, even by a hybrid like a Prius. You can always buy Toyota's all electric vehicle. Oh wait.............. Well then you can always buy a Murai with limited refueling options. Oh wait..................the Murai front end is beyond "looks bad."

@orenji, you are obviously very interested in the model 3 or you wouldn't be reading this forum. Go to a meetup and take a close look in one, sit in one, and drive one. I know you will come away with a different opinion.
    Smaller looking than what? It has more interior passenger space than my 2012 Prius. It is also longer and wider on the exterior. It carries three/four sets of golf clubs just like my Prius. It can carry my mountain bike in the interior with the front wheels on! My Prius can't do that. Some new model 3 owners are complaining the car is too big! Can't please everyone.

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't escape all the Tesla talk on this site, that is the only reason I post my comments. I have been invited by Tesla to come see the new Model 3. I have no desire to look at it. From what I saw on the road when compared to other cars next to it, it appears to be on the small size. Maybe the size of a Corrolla. If you like the looks that is great. I just think the front end looks odd and maybe that's because there is no grill. Enjoy your Model 3 and I will continue to enjoy my Pruis.

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most current Lexus and Toyota’s look odd with that big black grille. With the Tesla you could at least paint on a fake grille.

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    What's old is made new -

[​IMG]

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Since before the Model 3 got its name, Tesla has been saying that its next car would be a BMW 3 Series competitor. The 3 Series are in the same size class as the Corolla. The Corolla is now a midsize car, and the 3 Series is small enough to just miss the mid size mark.

There is a selection of decals out there, in addition to what was posted.

10. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sure you can, just don't click on the topic heading.
    Well, you are intransigent!
    Corolla Prius Model 3
    Length 183.1 178.7 184.8
    Width 69.9 69.3 76.1

Yes, the model 3 is about the same length as a Corolla which both are longer than the Prius. The Model 3 is much wider than both and has more interior passenger space than both. That's the beauty of a model 3, smaller on the outside and bigger on the inside! The model 3 will do 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. The Corolla, 0-60..............nevermind.

I felt the same way about the Prius grille when I first saw it, it didn't have handcrank to get the motor started. But I got used to it.
    I will enjoy both my model 3 and my Prius at least until I get my second model 3.

I am not here to bash Prius, it is a fine automobile. It is just old technology and pollutes more than an EV.
    That looks good compared to the new Toyota/Lexus front ends!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

12. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hum.....Corolla is $18,500.......Model 3 is $35,000 if you can find one this cheap.

$16,500 could be used for better use.....plus the Corolla looks better.

13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could almost buy a spare Corolla.

orenji likes this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    apples to oranges ....
    corolla 0 to 60, nearly 10 seconds
    M3 0 to 60 in nearly 4 seconds.
    Both are fine cars, but people pay based on what they want. You can spend more than either of those 2 cars, on a custom Harley.
    But that too, is a non sequitur.

15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many of people spend most of the time in traffic where 0-60 times do not matter.

orenji likes this.
  16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Zoom, zoom on the Garden State Parkway.
    [​IMG]

pilotgrrl, orenji and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Model 3 is a small luxury performance sedan.
    The BMW 3 series sedan starts at $34,900 before delivery, and I just built one on their site for $60,815. I did not get the Apple Car Play for $300, nor did I get AWD. That's for the sedan, not the Grand Turismo which starts at $45k.

Yet many people still buy BMWs with sub 5 second 0 to 60 times.

The Model 3 is not targeting Corolla customers, nor is it targeting Prius customers that are paying $5000 more.

18. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In California where @orenji lives, with tax credits, State and utility company rebates, the price of a base model 3 is $24,550. And that is for a much better equipped car. The base model 3 will be available by mid year. However, rather than purchasing a very basic, polluting $18,500 Corolla, you could purchase a bicycle instead and put that $18,400 to better use.
    th.jpg

Oh dear, that is a face only a mother could love! Looks like it made a visit to the dentist and the dentist forgot to take the dental dam out! :eek: Toyota has 'jumped the shark' in their current automotive design.
    Good point, 0-60 does not matter when you are sitting in traffic breathing toxic fumes from ICE. BEVs are zero emissions. Remember that the next time you pay your health insurance premiums or visit the doctor for air quality related health issues. The $6000 difference between a Corolla and a model 3 can disappear in just one hospital visit.

#178 el Crucero, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    pilotgrrl, markabele and Prodigyplace like this.
  19. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    @el Crucero we need you over in the Nissan Leaf forums where the anti Tesla people are even more rabid

20. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If I owned a LEAF (I can think of worse fates like owning a Corolla) I would be over there. But I own a Prius and I am here. I would just be a troll on the LEAF forum, like the Bummer owners on the Tesla fora. And I have nothing against the LEAF. Nissan is doing their part to improve air quality, wish I could say the same for Toyota. The more BEVs we can get on the road, regardless of manufacturer, the better off we all are.